Josh Allen OTAs press conference 5/25

1 minute ago, Process said:

Well good, because his answer the first time with Brandt was a **** show. 

Yeah, and so what? Josh Allen is a professional athlete. He isn't a social activist. Just because some athletes choose to be vocal about certain issues, doesn't mean every one of them needs to have an opinion on everything. So now Allen is in the impossible position where even if he says "I don't have an opinion" that in itself is treated as an opinion. It's a no win situation.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Coach-player contact vs player-player contact?

NFLPA versus Coach/trainer.  

The NFL basically mandated vaccinations for coaches and front office staff by limiting what contact they could have if unvaccinated.

The NFLPA basically decided they would fight the vaccination decision - so it is a personal choice and if vaccinated and unvaccinated players mix they are fine.

The next step is the eventual NFL protocol that will involve masking and in person meetings - that they can control.  They will role out guidelines that will involve vaccination rates and what can be don and that will either force teams to get the vaccination rate up among players or there will be disadvantages to those teams that don’t.

That is the team discussion that is on-going and we will eventually know the rate as we see future activities.

1 hour ago, DJB said:

I say we straight cut him and send him to Russia. 

Or better yet if we REALLY wanted to punish him...we trade him to the Jets

Last I checked, cruel and unusual punishment is still prohibited by the constitution.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah, and so what? Josh Allen is a professional athlete. He isn't a social activist. Just because some athletes choose to be vocal about certain issues, doesn't mean every one of them needs to have an opinion on everything. So now Allen is in the impossible position where even if he says "I don't have an opinion" that in itself is treated as an opinion. It's a no win situation.

This.

Why do we spend so much time holding athletes to account for the things they do or don’t say and not the idiots who treat it like gospel?

Here’s a fun little tip. If an athlete says something about public health, or geopolitics or the ***** weather, don’t worry too much about it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Except we all know that "not answering" IS in fact answering that you havent been vaccinated yet. Otherwise, he, like McD and the Pegulas and everyone else, would just come out and say he has been vaccinated because it isnt a big deal to those of us who get vaccinated.

It's like "pleading the 5th". Sure, you havent technically answered, but we all know what that means.

Not necessarily.  Remember he is speaking for the whole team as the QB and leader of the team. He may in fact be vaccinated but he may just be saying we as players are not disclosing that information. 

The real issue will come in the season when an unvaccinated player test positive and misses three or four games.  A team may call it a non-football injury and decide not to pay his salary for the games missed.  This is a union HR issue that every employer in the country will now have to deal with. 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Except we all know that "not answering" IS in fact answering that you havent been vaccinated yet. Otherwise, he, like McD and the Pegulas and everyone else, would just come out and say he has been vaccinated because it isnt a big deal to those of us who get vaccinated.

It's like "pleading the 5th". Sure, you havent technically answered, but we all know what that means.

Not necessarily.  Remember he is speaking for the whole team as the QB and leader of the team. He may in fact be vaccinated but he may just be saying we as players are not disclosing that information. 

The real issue will come in the season when an unvaccinated player test positive and misses three or four games.  A team may call it a non-football injury and decide not to pay his salary for the games missed.  This is a union HR issue that every employer in the country will now have to deal with. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Coach-player contact vs player-player contact?

Correct. 

Coaches/FO people and NFL players operate under a different set of employment rules.  Players under CBA with NFLPA and other agreements added in; Coaches and FO people under whatever individual agreements they have with the clubs - I don't think there's a collectively-bargained "NFL FO and coaches agreement"

Players who aren't vaccinated have a different set of restrictions on them.  But the collectively-bargained agreement is that vaccination is not mandatory for players.

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I'm fine with his answer. It's more well-put than his answer a few months ago.

But I don't believe it's pre-fed, or else McDermott would've given a similar answer.

2 hours ago, 716er said:

Not sure about that.. the coach gave a totally different answer. 

That's because the coach and GM are operating under these rules:

("employee" here does not include players as far as I know)

I think now that Tremaine Edmunds has basically said the same thing as Josh Allen, it's pretty clear it's a "canned response"

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

NFLPA versus Coach/trainer.  
The NFL basically mandated vaccinations for coaches and front office staff by limiting what contact they could have if unvaccinated.

The NFLPA basically decided they would fight the vaccination decision - so it is a personal choice and if vaccinated and unvaccinated players mix they are fine.

I think there's a bit more to it than just 'they are fine' - I think that unvaccinated players still need to mask within the facility still and get tested daily, and aren't supposed to meet up outside the facility or maybe not more than 3 at a time or something.

From the memo (I think employees here may include players, but have not been able to find anything explicitly saying players don't need to wear Kinexion, get tested less often, can meetup outside the facility etc):

image.thumb.png.46ef89baf8e3d170a8b786dbf1dfdc23.png

The next step is the eventual NFL protocol that will involve masking and in person meetings - that they can control.  They will role out guidelines that will involve vaccination rates and what can be don and that will either force teams to get the vaccination rate up among players or there will be disadvantages to those teams that don’t.

That is the team discussion that is on-going and we will eventually know the rate as we see future activities.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's because the coach and GM are operating under these rules:

I think now that Tremaine Edmunds has basically said the same thing as Josh Allen, it's pretty clear it's a "canned response"

Very interesting memo. Does anyone know what the mean when the say “religious ground”? Seems very open ended and would apply to every and all religions. Would love to get clarity on that. 

[Mod edit: I tried a response and decided can't be done without expanding the scope way beyond football - get clarity elsewhere, please]

1 hour ago, Dr. K said:

The same is true if he would only get the dang vaccination. Nobody would ever ask about it again. 

Incorrect. The question would then turn to, "Do you resent your teammates who have not gotten vaccinated?" 

To me, it’s his call.  If he’s vaccinated and proof he’s tested once a week, and no mask.  Not proof of vaccinated, tested daily and mandated to wear a mask.  His call.  It does effect others as he can infect others, if positive, but then gain he’s tested daily while working.

Notice I’m not making an opinion.  I have a strong one, but everyone has a right to their body, and I’m not going to dictate what a person should do.  They also own the responsibilities with their choices.  What I don’t believe is he has some responsibility to tell the public what he will or will not do.

I just hope regardless of a person’s choice is this darn health problem goes away, and it has hurt so many millions of people from a health and economic standpoint on top of the social and psychological issues.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, wppete said:

Very interesting memo. Does anyone know what the mean when the say “religious ground”? Seems very open ended and would apply to every and all religions. Would love to get clarity on that. 

[Mod edit: I tried a response and decided can't be done without expanding the scope way beyond football - get clarity elsewhere, please]

All good, no stress. I’m sure the NFL will clarify for all. 

4 hours ago, DJB said:

I say we straight cut him and send him to Russia. 

Or better yet if we REALLY wanted to punish him...we trade him to the Jets. 

No God No Jets ?? 
Send hiem to me my comrades will change hies mind !!! 

• Haha (+1) 1