Bills announce season tickets are sold out

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You can't control who buys your seats

Why not?  If you sell them DIRECTLY to someone you know, why can't you control that?

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

I wonder how many season ticket holders never go to a game, but only get seasons so they can sell individual games and make a profit.

I have four season tix & there are easier ways to mske a buck. About half the games will be in cold weather or against a team that is not high demand.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

I wonder how many season ticket holders never go to a game, but only get seasons so they can sell individual games and make a profit.

I can say that there are at least a few.

My family has had season tickets for 40+ years passed down from my grandmother. Over the years I have gone to dozens of games in those seats and there are always different people directly in front of them and directly next to them. Almost always fans of the opposing team as well.

It would be nice if you could resell to only Bills fans but I'm not sure how that would be possible on an open market ticket resell site.

14 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

Yeah. At first I couldn't believe the Bills selected that clown to be HC. And then, he instantly won me over with his brash antics and no excuse bravado. In hockey, successive coaches have to be opposite characters almost. So I thought after all the boring bland HC, that Rex would be the perfect counterpoint, to finally jolt the Bills in dropping the loser mindset that had plagued the team the last years. Too bad he was so bad at preparation and actual coaching ha ha. 

I was cautiously optimistic after it was announced and then after his first presser I was prepared for the worst

10 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

Remember that Season Ticket Holders have had to pay full price for 2 pre-season games each year and those seats have almost $0 value, you might get $20 for one if you're lucky.  So they are behind before the home opener is played.  The last 3 or 4 games each year are often tough sells for people, the Bills weren't great for a long, long, long, long, long time and most people don't love cold weather games. 

I doubt anyone who has had to pay face value for Bills tickets has been making much profit for a while.

3 minutes ago, driddles said:

Remember that Season Ticket Holders have had to pay full price for 2 pre-season games each year and those seats have almost $0 value, you might get $20 for one if you're lucky.  So they are behind before the home opener is played.  The last 3 or 4 games each year are often tough sells for people, the Bills weren't great for a long, long, long, long, long time and most people don't love cold weather games. 

I doubt anyone who has had to pay face value for Bills tickets has been making much profit for a while.

Just an FYI, only one preseason game in Buffalo this year.  But paying full price for a preseason game always irked me.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, The Dean said:

Why not?  If you sell them DIRECTLY to someone you know, why can't you control that?

Not a practical solution. Especially when you have friends who ask you to buy some expensive sports or concert ticket for them and they'll reimburse you, then turn around and tell you they can't go and your stuck. 😠

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Not a practical solution. Especially when you have friends who ask you to buy some expensive sports or concert ticket for them and they'll reimburse you, then turn around and tell you they can't go and your stuck. 😠

I've been that guy, actually. Regrettably. But that isn't what I was talking about. I'm talking about selling your own tickets to a friend, not procuring them for others. But I understand, it may not be that easy to find someone you know and trust to take them, on short notice. I've found if you know well in advance you can't use the tickets, it's not hard to find someone to take them.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, wjag said:

Back in the 90s, the stadium also sat 80,000 people making sellouts very challenging..

Actually, they sold out every game and had the highest attendance in the league for 2 or 3 (or 4?) straight years.

19 hours ago, Greg S said:

I believe the comeback game wasn't sold out. I think that one had about 75,000 which was a great crowd. A small market team shouldn't have a stadium that big but Bills fans still did a great job filling it. I think the 73,000 we have now is a nice number for the market size.

You're correct, it was not. But, I think (and someone else already alluded to some of this) there were a few reasons for not selling out:

- Up until the week before, we didn't know there would be a game in Buffalo. So, we had something like 4 days to lift the blackout and of course the full 7 days to actually sell out.

- Middle of winter although I don't remember this being a very cold day.

- Too used to winning. After being the #1 seed the prior two years, now we got in as a wild card made people less enthusiastic of our chances.

- We lost the prior week to the same team and left that game beat up, Kelly, Thomas, and Bennett (I may be wrong about Bennett) were injured.

47 minutes ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

Actually, they sold out every game and had the highest attendance in the league for 2 or 3 (or 4?) straight years.

You're correct, it was not. But, I think (and someone else already alluded to some of this) there were a few reasons for not selling out:

- Up until the week before, we didn't know there would be a game in Buffalo. So, we had something like 4 days to lift the blackout and of course the full 7 days to actually sell out.

- Middle of winter although I don't remember this being a very cold day.

- Too used to winning. After being the #1 seed the prior two years, now we got in as a wild card made people less enthusiastic of our chances.

- We lost the prior week to the same team and left that game beat up, Kelly, Thomas, and Bennett (I may be wrong about Bennett) were injured.

Excellent points, plus remember back then there was no internet, couldnt buy online, a lot of the tickets that were sold back then people had to physically go to the stadium & purchase them.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, The Dean said:

Just an FYI, only one preseason game in Buffalo this year.  But paying full price for a preseason game always irked me.

Yes, but people who have the premium seats that people are after have been paying for 2 pre-season games for years.  People seem to think everyone makes a killing selling tickets, the 3 or 4 times I've sold my tickets over the last 18 years I have been lucky to break even, though I've never sold an early game.  Even if you do sell an early game for a markup you're probably not making back more than the cost of the opener and the preseason game.   This year will be different, but this hasn't been the norm.

We used to get visited by one of the scalpers every game, we'd give him a beer and chat for a while.  His tickets all came from other avenues, not by owning blocks of season tickets.

Edited by driddles
  • Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, driddles said:

People seem to think everyone makes a killing selling ticket

Really?  I suppose some years you can and others you cannot. But if you buy  season tickets in order to make money, then I hope you do not. Buy the tickets to see the team play, IMO. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was checking out TM today to see how much people were asking for club seats.  One person has a pair, just two sections over from mine, for $5K/seat for the Monday Night Pats* game.  They'll never get that when there's plenty of other club seats for less than $1K/seat.  

BTW, reselling club seats is a lot harder than regular seats.  I've never made a profit, usually just lucky enough to break even. 

Edited by Just Jack

On 5/26/2021 at 5:33 PM, The Dean said:

Really?  I suppose some years you can and others you cannot. But if you buy  season tickets in order to make money, then I hope you do not. Buy the tickets to see the team play, IMO. 

Buy the tickets if you want stub hub and the others to make money. I would buy to be able to see the games I could make if I were closer. It would certainly NOT be a move to make money! 

I’ll be honest, I like a couple live games every year, but it’s a pretty darn good product from my family room. They know that, and it’s a better product with a full stadium. I wonder how much ticket prices impact the bottom line as opposed to filling stadiums for TV? I’ve purchased scalped Bengals tix for less than $10.