Sean McDermott OTAs press conference 5/25

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Cool beans.

Maybe it’s me and my middle class brain/income but this would absolutely drive me bonkers in my SO. Paying to send my GF on 2 very expensive international vacations in a matter of 4 weeks without bringing in much/any independent income would drive me up a wall. Then again, I don’t make NFL money. 

Probably a conversation for a different thread. 

He already sounds like a married man. 🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Cool beans.

Maybe it’s me and my middle class brain/income but this would absolutely drive me bonkers in my SO. Paying to send my GF on 2 very expensive international vacations in a matter of 4 weeks without bringing in much/any independent income would drive me up a wall. Then again, I don’t make NFL money. 

Probably a conversation for a different thread. 

So, your saying you’re cheap😜

Edited by Buffalo Boy
  • Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Nah, I don’t think so.  They just got a puppy.

If you gave me 100000000 guesses as to why neither one of them were in Monaco I never would have gotten to puppy. Haha

3 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

How much would we save if we cut Addison? Post June 1st.

There is an issue with dead cap based on how they restructured his deal at the beginning of the offseason. I don’t think it’s doable 

• Angry 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

There is an issue with dead cap based on how they restructured his deal at the beginning of the offseason. I don’t think it’s doable 

Oh well. One more season.

Of course by mid-season, Obada, Epenesa, Basham & Rousseau will be getting more significant snaps.

8 hours ago, hjnick said:

I think that's a pretty big leap just because Diggs isn't at OTA's.  Didn't he miss previous OTA's in prior years?  I thought I read that somewhere... so it's normal for him.

Not worried about Diggs conditioning... or timing with Allen for that matter.

https://13wham.com/buffalo-plus/bills-latest-news/diggs-putting-in-the-work-in-offseason-practices

Star.... I did not find any info on him doing any conditioning so we will see I guess.

Edited by WideNine

7 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

A lot of people have asked, and a lot of people are probably eager to be defensive about it. I didn't mean it to be inflammatory. I think it's a factual statement. Look at the polling on which groups are least likely to get the vaccine, and then think about the characteristics of many of the players McBeane bring in. Obviously not all members of a given group will behave in the same manner as the majority of the group overall, but trends are trends and are not meaningless. That's as specific as I'll get.

You didn’t mean it to be inflammatory.  Lollllllllllllllllllllllllll.

8 hours ago, Logic said:

In 2019, the Bills gave up 4.3 ypc, which was 14th in the league

In 2020, the Bills have up 4.6 ypc, which was 26th in the league

Pretty significant difference.

In 2020, the Bills were tied for 22nd in ypc........not alone in 26th as you are trying to paint it.

And the league as a whole allowed more yards on the ground in 2020..........up from 4.3 yards per carry in 2019 to 4.4 yards per carry in 2020.

Obviously a much tougher schedule,  losing 3 high production guys in Phillips, Shaq and Alexander,   both starting LB's injured for most of the season were all contributors in the modest,  adjusted .2 yards per carry decline in rush defense.

But the 2020 team was still middle of the pack(16th) in rush yards allowed,  held Derrick Henry to his lowest yardage output in his 2,000 yard season and played excellent defense from mid-season on.     

More significant is this:   the three best regular season teams in the NFL.....and 3 of the 4 title game teams....... were the KC, GB and Buffalo.......and KC and GB ranked right there with Buffalo averaging 4.5 yards per carry.    

Not a significant difference.

It's not a run and stop the run league anymore.

In 2019 the Chiefs won the Super Bowl allowing 4.9 yards per carry.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

In 2020, the Bills were tied for 22nd in ypc........not alone in 26th as you are trying to paint it.

And the league as a whole allowed more yards on the ground in 2020..........up from 4.3 yards per carry in 2019 to 4.4 yards per carry in 2020.

Obviously a much tougher schedule,  losing 3 high production guys in Phillips, Shaq and Alexander,   both starting LB's injured for most of the season were all contributors in the modest,  adjusted .2 yards per carry decline in rush defense.

But the 2020 team was still middle of the pack(16th) in rush yards allowed,  held Derrick Henry to his lowest yardage output in his 2,000 yard season and played excellent defense from mid-season on.     

More significant is this:   the three best regular season teams in the NFL.....and 3 of the 4 title game teams....... were the KC, GB and Buffalo.......and KC and GB ranked right there with Buffalo averaging 4.5 yards per carry.    

Not a significant difference.

It's not a run and stop the run league anymore.

In 2019 the Chiefs won the Super Bowl allowing 4.9 yards per carry.

Regarding the first bolded sentence: I'd consider that a matter of linguistic preference, but even using your preferred ranking number, a drop from 14th to 22nd IS significant, in that it indicates going from "slightly above average" to "below average". Painting the Bills' decrease in effectiveness in stopping the run as "modest" and "not a significant difference" is not accurate. Going from slightly above average to below average IS significant.

Regarding the second bolded sentence: total rushing yards allowed is not nearly as accurate an indicator of the quality of a team's run defense as yards per carry allowed. Teams with high powered passing offenses like the Bills often give up less total rushing yards sheerly by virtue of opposing teams needing to pass more to keep up on the scoreboard, and thus compiling less rushing yards. 

Regarding the third bolded sentences: I see your Chiefs' 2019 run defense statistic and counter with this -- The Buccaneers won the Super Bowl in 2020 allowing 3.6 ypc -- best in the league. It is as reasonable to conclude that the Buccaneers being elite at stopping the run was important to their championship season as it is to state that the Chiefs won the title in 2019 despite bad run defense.

It comes down to this: there are lots of ways to skin a cat. All things being equal, I'd rather that the Bills NOT have a below average run defense. While I would not classify stopping the run as the most important defensive ability in the 2021 NFL, I would certainly not cast it completely aside, as you seem to want to do in the above post. Waving the white flag and saying "to hell with run defense" seems unreasonable and unnecessary. I'm fairly certain that Sean McDermott, Leslie Frazier, and Brandon Beane would all agree.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Logic said:

Regarding the first bolded sentence: I'd consider that a matter of linguistic preference, but even using your preferred ranking number, a drop from 14th to 22nd IS significant, in that it indicates going from "slightly above average" to "below average". Painting the Bills' decrease in effectiveness in stopping the run as "modest" and "not a significant difference" is not accurate. Going from slightly above average to below average IS significant.

Regarding the second bolded sentence: total rushing yards allowed is not nearly as accurate an indicator of the quality of a team's run defense as yards per carry allowed. Teams with high powered passing offenses like the Bills often give up less total rushing yards sheerly by virtue of opposing teams needing to pass more to keep up on the scoreboard, and thus compiling less rushing yards. 

Regarding the third bolded sentences: I see your Chiefs' 2019 run defense statistic and counter with this -- The Buccaneers won the Super Bowl in 2020 allowing 3.6 ypc -- best in the league. It is as reasonable to conclude that the Buccaneers being elite at stopping the run was important to their championship season as it is to state that the Chiefs won the title in 2019 despite bad run defense.

It comes down to this: there are lots of ways to skin a cat. All things being equal, I'd rather that the Bills NOT have a below average run defense. While I would not classify stopping the run as the most important defensive ability in the 2021 NFL, I would certainly not cast it completely aside, as you seem to want to do in the above post. Waving the white flag and saying "to hell with run defense" seems unreasonable and unnecessary. I'm fairly certain that Sean McDermott, Leslie Frazier, and Brandon Beane would all agree.

I would add to this that teams that have to dedicate more of their back seven bodies playing in the box to counter runs, have less coverage resources and leave more open real-estate to be gashed defending against the pass.

There is certainly more nuance to this topic of being able to better counter runs with your front four and Mike especially with the nickel being the predominant personnel package.

9 hours ago, Logic said:

Let me give you yet another lesson in "logic".

When 3 teams tie for first........do we say "they finished 3rd"?

Of course not........in statistics you utilize the lower number and denote a tie........just saying "the Bills finished 26th" implies that there were 25 better teams.........which is false.

Saying that they finished tied for 22nd implies that 21 teams had better numbers without saying that 10 teams had worse.

I'd say you were being intentionally deceitful...........but I've seen your lines of reasoning before and they are frequently missing logically derived points.

Furthermore.........the gap between the 16th ranked ypc teams and the 22nd ranked group in 2020 is just a measly .1 ypc..........so despite playing the most playoff teams in the league and having a beat up LB corps the Bills were just .1 ypc off of the league median.

By contrast.....the LAST place rush defense was .6 yards per carry worse than the Bills.    

So yeah......intentionally or ignorantly.........you were greatly skewing the significance of those stats.

And it's not like the much-pined-for 2019 Bills run defense was good........they were just middling.....allowing 4.3 ypc in a league that averaged 4.3 ypc......... despite having "Star" and a number of MORE impactful and since-departed players than him in the front 7........all with a healthier defense and playing maybe their easiest schedule since the league went to 16 games in 1978.     

As for the Bucs........if you want to build your team expectations around what amounts to a Brooklyn Nets/LA Lakers style NBA super-team build.........good luck with that.    That's not a reasonable model personnel-wise and nor is losing 5 regular season games,  not even winning your own division and having to win 3 games on the road.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Let me give you yet another lesson in "logic".

When 3 teams tie for first........do we say "they finished 3rd"?

Of course not........in statistics you utilize the lower number and denote a tie........just saying "the Bills finished 26th" implies that there were 25 better teams.........which is false.

Saying that they finished tied for 22nd implies that 21 teams had better numbers without saying that 10 teams had worse.

I'd say you were being intentionally deceitful...........but I've seen your lines of reasoning before and they are frequently missing logically derived points.

Furthermore.........the gap between the 16th ranked ypc teams and the 22nd ranked group in 2020 is just a measly .1 ypc..........so despite playing the most playoff teams in the league and having a beat up LB corps the Bills were just .1 ypc off of the league median.

By contrast.....the LAST place rush defense was .6 yards per carry worse than the Bills.    

So yeah......intentionally or ignorantly.........you were greatly skewing the significance of those stats.

And it's not like the much-pined-for 2019 Bills run defense was good........they were just middling.....allowing 4.3 ypc in a league that averaged 4.3 ypc......... despite having "Star" and a number of MORE impactful and since-departed players than him in the front 7........all with a healthier defense and playing maybe their easiest schedule since the league went to 16 games in 1978.     

As for the Bucs........if you want to build your team expectations around what amounts to a Brooklyn Nets/LA Lakers style NBA super-team build.........good luck with that.    That's not a reasonable model personnel-wise and nor is losing 5 regular season games,  not even winning your own division and having to win 3 games on the road.

I should have known that despite everything I discussed in my post, you would devote fully half of your response to condescendingly teaching what you deem a "lesson" about the logic of tied rankings. I'm not even a little bit surprised. You consistently display a tone of arrogance, condescension, and know-it-all-ism that makes you generally unpleasant to interact with, as evidenced by your reputation points relative to your overall post count. And yet, for some reason, I still try anyway. You usually waste no time in reminding me why I more often don't bother. We're all fans of the same football team, and it certainly seems possible to have discussions that don't involve personal insults and arrogance. You don't seem to have the least bit of interest in that, though. Same as it ever was.

As for the portion that followed: You did absolutely nothing to defend your notion that run defense doesn't matter. In your flippant dismissal of the Bucs as a "super team", you completely neglected to mention that the run defense -- which is what the entire discussion is about -- had nothing to do with any kind of "super team" transactions. All those came on the offensive side of the ball. By dismissing the Bucs' success as merely that of a super team, and not discussing whatsoever their first in the league run defense (which, again, was acquired by honest means -- draft and fair value free agent deals, same as everyone else), it's almost as if you were -- to use your line -- "intentionally or ignorantly skewing" the facts to fit your narrative. 

Look, I get it. You think Star Lotulelei is a worthless player (you've only said it 4,678 times and in as many different ways), you don't think stopping the run correlates to wins (but refuse to acknowledge or discuss the fact that last year's Super Bowl winner had the number 1 run defense in the league), and most of all: You've never, ever been wrong about anything. Any time someone presents an opinion different than yours, you'll condescendingly and stridently explain why they're an idiot and your version of things is the only reasonable one. So go ahead and respond if you want, don't respond if you don't want, click the "laugh" emoji...do whatever you want. I'm done trying to have respectful conversations with you. I find you deeply unpleasant and, in a word, insufferable. Every now and again I try to wade back in to the pool of discussion with you, and you immediately remind me why it's not worth the time or effort. Good day.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 5/26/2021 at 12:44 PM, Logic said:

As for the portion that followed: You did absolutely nothing to defend your notion that run defense doesn't matter. In your flippant dismissal of the Bucs as a "super team", you completely neglected to mention that the run defense -- which is what the entire discussion is about -- had nothing to do with any kind of "super team" transactions. All those came on the offensive side of the ball. By dismissing the Bucs' success as merely that of a super team, and not discussing whatsoever their first in the league run defense (which, again, was acquired by honest means -- draft and fair value free agent deals, same as everyone else), it's almost as if you were -- to use your line -- "intentionally or ignorantly skewing" the facts to fit your narrative. 

So I already pointed out to you that the 3 teams with the best records in 2020 allowed between 4.5-4.6 ypc...........not good........but also not exceptionally poor.

And I also pointed out that the Chiefs allowed 4.9 and won the Super Bowl last year.

Those did "absolutely nothing to defend the notion that run defense doesn't matter is not nearly the priority it once was in order to win a title".    FIFY

So now I will point out that the two SB combatants in the 2018 season.......NE and LA Rams....... allowed 4.9 and 5.1 ypc respectively.    The #1 seed in the AFC that year, KC,  allowed 5.0 ypc.    The three worst rush defenses in the NFL.

And that the 2018 AFC champion Patriots allowed 4.9 ypc.

All those great teams at the bottom or very close to the bottom of the league in ypc allowed doesn't support my contention about run defense?

You could scarcely be any MORE wrong.

This is the new NFL "Logic".

You can complain all you want about HOW I respond to your nonsense.........but make no mistake........it is what it is.

On 5/25/2021 at 11:14 AM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

They play two different positions. Star is the only potentially legit 1T option we have, and he probably knows it.

McDermott shouldn't be surprised that he finds himself "concerned" about meeting vaccination thresholds. The types of people he's seemed to tend to bring in during his tenure are also the ones most likely to have vaccine hesitancy.

You must mean winners instead of the losers we endured for 17 years.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Many of those losers went on to win SBs though....

Yes.  The losers from the Buffalo Bills latched on to some leadership elsewhere and rode their coattails all the way to a ring.  

Meanwhile, McDermott/Beane were drafting, recruiting, and developing leaders here.

• Thank you (+1) 1