Sheldon Richardson or Vernon Butler

4 hours ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

Not enough of an upgrade to justify screwing a guy who took less money to stay. I know it's a business, but it's still a business amongst human beings, right?

Normally I would agree with this ,  but (now days) when jobs are in the line ( front office) those human beings ( players ) are just numbers to them 

Edited by Putin

8 hours ago, Weatherman said:

If Richardson were willing to sign for 1yr / $3.3M, which is the cap savings from cutting Butler, would you make this move?

Are there any other players you would consider cutting to make room to sign an FA?

I watched quite a few CLE games and he seemed like decent rotational guy. He's a guaranteed 4-5 sacks a year. Maybe I was used to watching him ball out as a Jet so I'm rating him higher than I really should.

Unfortunately, he's not really the type of space eating DT we need. From what I remember he's more of 3T penetrator and can line up @ defensive end in certain packages. After doing a little research I see that he was a part of some top defenses against the run.

Competition is always good in training camp (if we have a training camp.) At age 30, I feel like he still has gas in the tank and will have no problem if Buffalo goes that route, although I seriously doubt it.

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Richardson comes across as a guy who puts himself before the team and I can't see that fitting in with what we've built here. 

What made you come this conclusion? I'm not challenging you, I'm genuinely curious. I've never known him to be a cancerous locker room presence or even a slight diva. 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

7 hours ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

Not enough of an upgrade to justify screwing a guy who took less money to stay. I know it's a business, but it's still a business amongst human beings, right?

And also sends a horrible message through the locker room. Also, future restructures or reductions may be more difficult. 

2 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I watched quite a few CLE games and he seemed like decent rotational guy. He's a guaranteed 4-5 sacks a year. Maybe I was used to watching him ball out as a Jet so I'm rating him higher than I really should.

Unfortunately, he's not really the type of space eating DT we need. From what I remember he's more of 3T penetrator and can line up @ defensive end in certain packages. After doing a little research I see that he was a part of some top defenses against the run.

Competition is always good in training camp (if we have a training camp.) At age 30, I feel like he still has gas in the tank and will have no problem if Buffalo goes that route, although I seriously doubt it.

What made you come this conclusion? I'm not challenging you, I'm genuinely curious. I've never known him to be a cancerous locker room presence or even a slight diva. 

Just the way he hops from team to team and some of the things that came out when he was a Jet is all. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

We got Oliver, Boogie, Rousseau, Star, Phillips, Zimmer, Butler etc. How many IDL do we need? Since our budget is tight, I think Zach Ertz or maybe a solid CB2 should be where our money goes.

What did you not understand about the stipulation of cutting Butler to use the $ on Richardson.  A $0 net change was clearly included in the original discussion. 

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Just the way he hops from team to team and some of the things that came out when he was a Jet is all. 

He’s been with 2 teams and is 30 years old.  

2 minutes ago, Weatherman said:
2 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

What did you not understand about the stipulation of cutting Butler to use the $ on Richardson.  A $0 net change was clearly included in the original discussion. 

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Where will Butler even be on the depth chart? Do you really want Richardson to take away snaps from Boogie and Rousseau? Why spend that money on another DT instead of Ertz or a CB?

9 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Where will Butler even be on the depth chart? Do you really want Richardson to take away snaps from Boogie and Rousseau? Why spend that money on another DT instead of Ertz or a CB?

Dude....Butler would be cut!  Richardson would fill in as one of the starting DT.  Richardson can play DE as some posters alluded too but why do you think he would take snaps away from rookie DEs when he’s a DT? 

13 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Yes he took less money not a typical restructure.  According to online resources it’s a $3.3M cap savings to cut him or $4M to trade him.  

$4M sounds like a great downpayment on Ertz.  Butler and a 7th for Ertz makes more sense than what Barnwell came up with.

Move money out of the overpriced DL and into the bargain bin TE group.

1 hour ago, Weatherman said:

Dude....Butler would be cut!  Richardson would fill in as one of the starting DT.  Richardson can play DE as some posters alluded too but why do you think he would take snaps away from rookie DEs when he’s a DT? 

Cuz Rousseau and Boogie will see a ton of snaps at 1T.

• Haha (+1) 1