Alright, another Zack Ertz thread...

Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

Rick Astley Dancing GIF

Another Ertz topic going down the vortex of locked threads.  Whooohooo!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Billsrhody said:

Because 30 other teams could sign him either via waivers or FA if he's cut.

I can’t imagine he’d be interested in literally every other team. He’s 31 and will likely want to go somewhere to try and win. 

If he doesn’t want to be here then we aren’t really losing out on an elite player.

Edited by Bangarang

1 hour ago, Process said:

A little north of vet minimum? You're kidding right? 

No. Vet minimum for him would be $1.05M. He’s has had 3 years of declining production. No team has traded for him and the Eagles only want a 7th rounder. Why? Because no GM is willing to pay him $8M per season. My guess is he gets a 1 year deal of $2-3M. It’s going to a lot closer to vet minimum than $8M. It’s a year salary cap is artificially depressed. His FA will occur in 2022, that’s when he’ll cash in. In the meantime, he’ll need to do whatever it takes to maximize his production beforehand, even accepting a pittance of a 1 year salary. 

50 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Alright, another Zack Ertz thread...

Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

Rick Astley Dancing GIF

Aaaaaand the entirety of TSW just got "Rick Roll'd" :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

Ok, I’m 100% on board with adding Ertz. However, I don’t get the premise of this rumour. Why would Ertz and his agent agree to renegotiate with the Bills to $3.5M? The author suggests that would be his value on the open market, but why not say I’ve got a contract already and force the Bills to either pay him that rate or release him?

I guess it would need to be pre-negotiated, I’m just not sure what would motivate Ertz to do so. Seems like fantasy land to me. Hope I’m wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Reminds me of Sam Malone trying to lure customers back to Cheers with his version of hors d'oeuvres.

"I'm talking about American cheese on top of some saltines and everything..."

Sam was ahead of his time.

31 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

south park beat a dead horse GIF

You beat me to it Bruce.  Wow, three pages in five hours.  By June 1st, what’s the over under on 50?

Just now, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Is that supposed to be the Broncos?

No that’s where Rodgers is going.  I think that thread is over 100 pages by now.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

I can’t imagine he’d be interested in literally every other team. He’s 31 and will likely want to go somewhere to try and win. 

If he doesn’t want to be here then we aren’t really losing out on an elite player.

Regardless, that’s why you would give up peanuts in a trade for him. All it takes is 1 other team and we’re left with a bad TE group in 2021.

Plus, with waivers it doesn’t matter if Ertz is interested or not. 

5 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I would have put this in one of the many other Ertz threads, but it appears as if they have all been locked.

Eagles trade Zach Ertz to ... Buffalo Bills

Philadelphia Eagles get: 2022 seventh-round pick, TE Tommy Sweeney

“Beane has been aggressive -- and successful -- in rehabilitating players who seemed to be struggling elsewhere over the past few years. He has also repeatedly gone after weapons for QB Josh Allen. Dealing a late-round pick and a player on the bottom of the roster in Sweeney for Ertz would give the Bills a well-regarded teammate and a player who was thought of as a premier tight end as recently as a year ago. With Ertz reducing his salary to $3.5 million as part of the deal, I love this low-risk, high-reward move for Buffalo.“

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/31468244/predicting-15-post-june-1-deadline-nfl-deals-including-julio-jones-trade-richard-sherman-signing-more

Barnwell also had the Bills signing Kawann Short for $3M in those predictions.

The way he structured the trade..........the Bills working out a huge salary deduction prior to the swap...........is what makes it seem plausible.   

That's a bigger pay cut than I'd expect Ertz to take.........they might have to add a dummy year to his one year deal and so he gets more like $5M out of it at least.

I thought he was a bit generous with the money offered to the other players available.........including Short who I couldn't see ANY team paying above league veteran  minimum at this point.     Most of those free agents he has signing new deals have been marinating on the market for a LONNNNNGGGG time now.

35 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Barnwell also had the Bills signing Kawann Short for $3M in those predictions.

The way he structured the trade..........the Bills working out a huge salary deduction prior to the swap...........is what makes it seem plausible.   

That's a bigger pay cut than I'd expect Ertz to take.........they might have to add a dummy year to his one year deal and so he gets more like $5M out of it at least.

I thought he was a bit generous with the money offered to the other players available.........including Short who I couldn't see ANY team paying above league veteran  minimum at this point.     Most of those free agents he has signing new deals have been marinating on the market for a LONNNNNGGGG time now.

OK, so this sort of addresses my question in a different post above, asking what Barnwell's track record on these predictions is

IOW per your examples:

Not so good

I don't see what would be Ertz motivation to agree to such a big salary reduction to facilitate a trade?

1 hour ago, Billsrhody said:

Regardless, that’s why you would give up peanuts in a trade for him. All it takes is 1 other team and we’re left with a bad TE group in 2021.

Plus, with waivers it doesn’t matter if Ertz is interested or not. 

He isn’t really worth more than peanuts  anyway. If we give up a late round pick for him I won’t be upset.

He wouldn’t be subject to waivers I don’t think.

Edited by Bangarang

57 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, so this sort of addresses my question in a different post above, asking what Barnwell's track record on these predictions is

IOW per your examples:

Not so good

I don't see what would be Ertz motivation to agree to such a big salary reduction to facilitate a trade?

I agree that the pay seems light for Ertz and it's definitely a lot of gymnastics for the Eagles to get a 7th round pick.