Bills Voluntary OTAs Phase 3

Diggs and Sanders look like you would expect the team’s top two receivers to look. At first glance, Sanders has a chance to be an upgrade over John Brown because of the different ways Brian Daboll will be able to use him. He still has the explosive speed and quickness that have helped him sustain success since he entered the league. The fact that he’s in town getting reps with Allen should help the two of them establish a connection before reps speed up in training camp. Sanders caught three passes from Allen in team drills Wednesday, a strong start for those two finding chemistry.

Singletary was also back on the field. And while it’s hard to glean too much from a running back during OTAs, Singletary did drop an easy pass in the flat Wednesday. After his drop in the AFC Championship Game a year ago, he wants to put that issue behind him entirely. He does look leaner, and Zack Moss still isn’t practicing in full.

When you watch through a lot of Basham’s games at Wake Forest, you see a player that thrives as an interior rusher, whether he’s stunting to the inside from the edge or just lined up over a guard. He gave a brief example of his abilities Wednesday when working against rookie offensive tackle Spencer Brown. Basham exploded out of his stance and took a few steps forward, immediately putting Brown into his kick slide. Basham then stuck his right foot in the ground and cut inside to the left, which froze Brown for just a half-second and put him in chase mode of Basham. The rookie defender effectively went unimpeded to the quarterback.

Jake Fromm threw an interception on Wednesday. A June interception isn’t an indictment of Fromm on its own. But Fromm hasn’t done much else to stand out during the two practices open to the media this spring or in training camp a year ago. Right now, he looks like the clear fourth best quarterback on the roster.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Jake Fromm threw an interception on Wednesday. A June interception isn’t an indictment of Fromm on its own. But Fromm hasn’t done much else to stand out during the two practices open to the media this spring or in training camp a year ago. Right now, he looks like the clear fourth best quarterback on the roster.

The Webb/Fromm battle for #3 this year (and perhaps the #2 for next year) will at least make the 2nd half of the preseason games interesting.

I got to admit I'm hoping Davis looks good.

• Thank you (+1) 1

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/respect-fuels-high-participation-rate-at-bills-spring-workouts-otas-week-2

Dion Dawkins and Jordan Poyer, who are both leaders in the locker room, noted that the high participation rate partially has to do with a level of respect that the players and coaches have for each other. 

"We're here because we want to be and we're here because we want to win," Dawkins said after practice. 

Poyer appreciates these OTA practices, and he feels that it has helped the team get a jumpstart on the upcoming season. 

"Being able to come here, be around the guys, be on the field with our coaches and just finding ways to get better in the time that we have here, I definitely think it's jumpstarting our season," Poyer added. "And I think we have 90 to 95 percent of the guys here. Diggs came today, so it was a cool sight to see. Guys are here. We're working. We've got a goal that we want so guys are here and we're working."

Dawkins added. "We respect those guys because those guys have given us jobs to play the best sport in the world … The coaches do a great job of taking care of us and it showed this offseason that they have taken care of us, that's why we're here, to take care of them. So, we can go ahead and win and keep them confident that we're still a part of what they have going on, and what we all have going on."

• Thank you (+1) 1

For those of us who are sick enough to watch anything Bills related ..even OTAs .. here is 4 minutes of scenes from OTAs. 

I think me watching this says more about me than it does about any of the players .. but for the other diehards 4 minutes of OTAs is at least some football :)

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

For those of us who are sick enough to watch anything Bills related ..even OTAs .. here is 4 minutes of scenes from OTAs. 

I think me watching this says more about me than it does about any of the players .. but for the other diehards 4 minutes of OTAs is at least some football :)

Last play, Knox double clutches an easy pass....

24 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Last play, Knox double clutches an easy pass....

'Tis true.  But just as with the press fixating on Singletary dropping an easy pass, there are other good catches in clips floating around.  So we'll see.  Hopefully now he has some technical things to focus on "next pass do this, this, this" instead of just "@#$@%!!" at himself.

39 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

There were lots of interesting small things I like to see...

-Stefon Diggs catching warm up passes standing on one leg or the other.  Even in the littlest things, he raises the bar for himself.

-Beasley near Diggs on the sidelines doing some warm-up footwork drills.  Good to see that he's able to participate in individual drills anyway

-Moss assisting with an RB drill, but holding a ball in alternate hands, pointing downwards, in what looks like some kind of ball-security drill

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

The Webb/Fromm battle for #3 this year (and perhaps the #2 for next year) will at least make the 2nd half of the preseason games interesting.

I got to admit I'm hoping Davis looks good.

From Athletic article

Jake Fromm has a ways to go

Jake Fromm threw an interception on Wednesday. A June interception isn’t an indictment of Fromm on its own. But Fromm hasn’t done much else to stand out during the two practices open to the media this spring or in training camp a year ago. Right now, he looks like the clear fourth best quarterback on the roster. The addition of Mitchell Trubisky and steady play from Davis Webb will put pressure on Fromm to show he’s worthy of a roster spot this summer. His arm is the weakest of the four quarterbacks and he doesn’t have nearly the athleticism that Josh Allen and Trubisky do. Maybe Fromm needs live game reps in the preseason to show what he can do. Some quarterbacks look a lot better in game settings than in practices. Fromm could be one of those players. Things could also click for him in training camp. It’s just been a disappointing start for him after the Bills picked him in the fifth round a year ago. Right now, there’s not much use for him on the roster until he proves otherwise. – Fairburn

Now I grant that Fairburn has a tendency to zero in on errors, like Singletary's drop, instead of positive aspects.  I'm sure Josh Allen has thrown some interceptions too.  Perhaps there are positive plays he isn't mentioning. 

I did notice that after an arcing pass from Josh that Diggs caught in stride, Tanner Gentry had to decelerate and hold up for a Webb pass to get there.

Doesn't it feel good there is literally no more question mark at QB with Allen playing the way he is.  Like no worries going into the season if Allen is going to be a good QB or not.  It is now expected and I highly doubt he regresses.

You can see his throws are now becoming so nice to see and are on the money.

In the OTA video it was a throw to Sanders on a quick curl.  He through to Sanders shoulder that was closest to the line of scrimmage, meaning it would have been more difficult for a defender to deflect or break on.  i just hope it was on purpose ;) lol

Edited by CaliBills

10 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

Doesn't it feel good there is literally no more question mark at QB with Allen playing the way he is.  Like no worries going into the season if Allen is going to be a good QB or not.  It is now expected and I highly doubt he regresses.

You can see his throws are now becoming so nice to see and are on the money.

In the OTA video it was a throw to Sanders on a quick curl.  He through to Sanders shoulder that was closest to the line of scrimmage, meaning it would have been more difficult for a defender to deflect or break on.  i just hope it was on purpose ;) lol

I would bet on that

• Agree 1