Fairburn would swap Allen for Mahomes. Would you?

Would you swap Allen for Mahomes in a player for player swap?  

427 members have voted

1. 1. Would you swap Allen for Mahomes in a player for player swap?

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Gunner would take Mahomes, I'd take Allen, but he'd be happy (I think) with Allen and I'd be happy with Mahomes.   The other 30 GMs would be guessing.  

Absolutely this. It is a completely academic question, because it is not founded in reality but faced with it I'd take Mahomes. I think he may well end up considered the Goat. But in this similarly fictitious world if you said to me "well Mahomes is off the table" I'd take Josh Allen. I completely believe the guy is a legit elite Quarterback. He will win us a Lombardi. I am pretty confident on that. I just think he and the Bills might be the Big Ben and the Steelers rather than the Brady and the Patriots. The team that make 3 in a 10 year stretch and win 2 of them. It isn't an indictment on Josh as it seems to be perceived in this thread to say I'd still take Pat. To be honest if you offered me Pat at this age and Brady at this age I'd take Pat. 

And I thought both were big risks at draft time. I likely wouldn't have taken either. Luckily Brett Veach and Brandon Beane know more than I do. 

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't think anyone is trying to argue this, unless I've missing something. There are several people in this thread arguing that it is objectively true that Mahomes should be the pick over Allen, I haven't seen the opposite.

There are. That was the only reason I got involved in the discussion.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't think anyone is trying to argue this, unless I've missing something. There are several people in this thread arguing that it is objectively true that Mahomes should be the pick over Allen, I haven't seen the opposite.

There are also people here that are saying that Mahomes is only better than Josh because of the talent around him.  

Some others saying that Josh’s huge jump from 2019 to 2020 is reason enough to project that Josh is still getting much better yearly.....almost assuming that it’s an automatic that Allen continues to get better at an astonishing rate.....when there’s a real chance that he plays worse than last season.  

Fans will have an affect.  He’s still never had a great season with fans in the stands.  I’m not saying he won’t, I think the majority of his seasons going forward, will be great.....but you never know.  

@FireChan

I pick Mahomes as the better QB currently and choose Allen strictly based on the badass ♥️ factor

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, NewEra said:

There are also people here that are saying that Mahomes is only better than Josh because of the talent around him.  

Some others saying that Josh’s huge jump from 2019 to 2020 is reason enough to project that Josh is still getting much better yearly.....almost assuming that it’s an automatic that Allen continues to get better at an astonishing rate.....when there’s a real chance that he plays worse than last season.  

Fans will have an affect.  He’s still never had a great season with fans in the stands.  I’m not saying he won’t, I think the majority of his seasons going forward, will be great.....but you never know.  

@FireChan

I pick Mahomes as the better QB currently and choose Allen strictly based on the badass ♥️ factor

People worry to much about this.  Allen made an impressive jump from his rookie year to year 2 with screaming fans in attendance.  I believe the jump we just saw in year 3 would have happened with packed stadiums.

Allen's play has improved as he has gained more experience and the Bills have built a better offense around him.  Take a look at the roster changes from Allen's rookie year to his 2nd year and then the additions of a truly elite WR and a very good right OT his 3rd year.

We should be confident that Allen's trajectory continues to be up and a full stadium will prove no more problematic to him as it would to any elite QB.

24 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

People worry to much about this.  Allen made an impressive jump from his rookie year to year 2 with screaming fans in attendance.  I believe the jump we just saw in year 3 would have happened with packed stadiums.

Allen's play has improved as he has gained more experience and the Bills have built a better offense around him.  Take a look at the roster changes from Allen's rookie year to his 2nd year and then the additions of a truly elite WR and a very good right OT his 3rd year.

We should be confident that Allen's trajectory continues to be up and a full stadium will prove no more problematic to him as it would to any elite QB.

I agree, the jump would’ve happened with crowds.  I just don’t think he would have done AS WELL as he did last year.  I’ve seen many here say that he will continue on his upward trajectory based on how much he’s improved every year so far.  I think that if we get what we got last year from him, we should be very happy.  I hope I’m wrong but I expect slightly lesser numbers and a few more picks.  I hope I’m wrong.

regarding the crowd not having an affect, that’s nonsense.  The crowd absolutely has a chance to have a negative affect on visiting offenses.  Josh even said so himself in his first press conference in OTAs.  McD agrees, as they were blaring loud noise at the first day of OTA practice.  Josh did a tremendous job reading the D and calling audibles last year.  I don’t think that it’ll be as flawless this year.  It looked as if he was having trouble adjusting the OL checks in the AFCCG, which wasn’t nearly as loud as it’s going to be this year

16 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yeah......like I said.....the bolded has been rehashed here several times over.  Everyone, me included, has said that our OL and WRs in 2018 played a huge part in Allens bad play as a rookie.  Regardless of how bad they were, the 2018 Josh Allen wasn’t nearly the QB that 2020 allen was.  He has improved leaps and bounds.  That Josh allen wouldn’t have won an mvp and a super bowl in his first 2 years of he were on the chiefs.  My opinion of course.  

Yes.  Your opinion.  I think people forget how questionable Mahomes was as a prospect coming into the NFL.  And I bring this back to that Alex Smith interview where he's talking about how Andy Reid teaches QBs.

We'll never know, obviously, but giving Allen a redshirt year in the NFL behind a smart, established vet QB willing to work with him and a QB whisperer as a Head Coach pretty obviously would have made Allen's first 2 years of playin vastly better than what they were in Buffalo.

16 hours ago, NewEra said:

I think your take is one sided and you don’t give Mahomes nearly the credit he deserves.  I think Allen is god like..... but the disrespect Mahomes gets here shows how so much of this fan base doesn’t know how to deal with success. We finally have an elite qb....but we can’t just enjoy him for what he is, a top 3 QB that’s just getting better, without conjuring up over reactionary projections that denounces the accomplishments of others.

the last sentence you wrote.....that’s why YOU take allen over Mahomes. I take him because he’s a badass

I've been trying to make it very clear that I think Mahomes is an amazing QB.  I just believe that Allen will be better... but that doesn't mean I won't think Mahomes is great.  If Mahomes and Allen are 1A and 1B in the NFL in either order, Beane and Co. were brilliant in the drafts of 2017 and 2018.

6 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Ask him what he said when Allen was drafted. I’d go elsewhere for my QB takes😂😂

Actually gotta give it to you.  I remember you really pounding the table for him in the draft process and saying he was going to be a star.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yes.  Your opinion.  I think people forget how questionable Mahomes was as a prospect coming into the NFL.  And I bring this back to that Alex Smith interview where he's talking about how Andy Reid teaches QBs.

We'll never know, obviously, but giving Allen a redshirt year in the NFL behind a smart, established vet QB willing to work with him and a QB whisperer as a Head Coach pretty obviously would have made Allen's first 2 years of playin vastly better than what they were in Buffalo.

I've been trying to make it very clear that I think Mahomes is an amazing QB.  I just believe that Allen will be better... but that doesn't mean I won't think Mahomes is great.  If Mahomes and Allen are 1A and 1B in the NFL in either order, Beane and Co. were brilliant in the drafts of 2017 and 2018.

Actually gotta give it to you.  I remember you really pounding the table for him in the draft process and saying he was going to be a star.

What does this have to do with anything?  What does what people were saying about Mahomes pre draft have anything to do with anything?  you said it yourself.... he’s amazing.  

what does someone’s pre draft thoughts about Josh Allen have to do with anything?
Because someone didn’t like 17 coming out of college, does that means they know nothing about QBs?   

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

No.  Not that he's "only better than Josh because of the talent around him."  I'm saying (because I'm probably one of the ones you're referring to) that Mahomes has had the incredible benefit of circumstance at the start of his career... almost the opposite of Allen.  That's not to say that Mahomes isn't uber talented.  He is.  It's to say that you need to consider all of those circumstances in this situation, especially considering that as Josh's circumstances have been getting better, his improvement has been as drastic as you see on a year by year basis.

This is very close as far as discussion goes.  And Mahomes is better right now.  I'll say that again... right now, Patrick Mahomes is better as a QB than Josh Allen.

But it's gotten very, very close after 2020.

So, one camp is in "I'll believe it when he is better" mode.

But this is an exercise that legitimately does ask you to project into the future... even if it's the immediate future.  This is projecting what they will do.  And the camp that I'm in is that I've watched a QB who didn't have the traditional QB upbringing with all the 7 on 7 camps and grew into his body late (you can verify that from multiple videos and interviews you can find from him and family members) and played at a JuCo getting likely very little NFL development and then played at tiny Wyoming as a raw prospect come into the NFL with a crap team around him and show some flashes in his rookie year, then drastically improve going into his 2nd year with some more talent surrounding him, then drastically improve again in year 3 with even more talent and continuity of system.

I view all of this as a perfect storm for continued improvement from Allen.  Continuity in OC, continuity in weapons (swap Brown for Sanders... probably an upgrade), continuity in OL (something Mahomes is getting almost entirely new in front of him).  I see all these things and wouldn't make the trade because I believe Allen will continue to improve that much more.  And even if we're talking player for player swaps, the changing of teams, teammates, coaches, culture, etc. would have an impact on both players if they were to switch teams.  

Mahomes and Allen are likely to be 1A and 1B in the NFL for the next decade plus... at least I believe they will be.  And I think Allen in Buffalo has a very likely shot to be 1A for much of that stint.

The world never got wild horse Mahomes.  Allen was on a bad team.  For every bad play, he made a good one and added an unreal play that was on the money and dropped.  Year 2 Allen does what year 2 Mahomes does in KC.  And Year 3 we saw what he did.  Its not a homer.  Allen had to figure it out on the job without a saftey net.  Mahomes enter the all time best situation a qb entered. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

No.  Not that he's "only better than Josh because of the talent around him."  I'm saying (because I'm probably one of the ones you're referring to) that Mahomes has had the incredible benefit of circumstance at the start of his career... almost the opposite of Allen.  That's not to say that Mahomes isn't uber talented.  He is.  It's to say that you need to consider all of those circumstances in this situation, especially considering that as Josh's circumstances have been getting better, his improvement has been as drastic as you see on a year by year basis.

This is very close as far as discussion goes.  And Mahomes is better right now.  I'll say that again... right now, Patrick Mahomes is better as a QB than Josh Allen.

But it's gotten very, very close after 2020.

So, one camp is in "I'll believe it when he is better" mode.

But this is an exercise that legitimately does ask you to project into the future... even if it's the immediate future.  This is projecting what they will do.  And the camp that I'm in is that I've watched a QB who didn't have the traditional QB upbringing with all the 7 on 7 camps and grew into his body late (you can verify that from multiple videos and interviews you can find from him and family members) and played at a JuCo getting likely very little NFL development and then played at tiny Wyoming as a raw prospect come into the NFL with a crap team around him and show some flashes in his rookie year, then drastically improve going into his 2nd year with some more talent surrounding him, then drastically improve again in year 3 with even more talent and continuity of system.

I view all of this as a perfect storm for continued improvement from Allen.  Continuity in OC, continuity in weapons (swap Brown for Sanders... probably an upgrade), continuity in OL (something Mahomes is getting almost entirely new in front of him).  I see all these things and wouldn't make the trade because I believe Allen will continue to improve that much more.  And even if we're talking player for player swaps, the changing of teams, teammates, coaches, culture, etc. would have an impact on both players if they were to switch teams.  

Mahomes and Allen are likely to be 1A and 1B in the NFL for the next decade plus... at least I believe they will be.  And I think Allen in Buffalo has a very likely shot to be 1A for much of that stint.

so your saying that Allens improvement over his first 3 years will continue and we’ll see similar improvement this season? MVP is inevitable if this is the case.  If his improvement from 20 to 21 is equal to his improvement from 19 to 20 then we’ll easily go undefeated and win the super bowl.  We’ll probably never lose again.  

you’re not taking the lack of crowd noise into consideration when talking about his improvement.  That played a part.  The addition of Diggs was a huge factor in his improvement.  We didn’t add Diggs this year. We will have crowds this year.  If he improves as a QB, which I expect, the improvement won’t be nearly as visible as it was last season.  But if you’re right.....and he improves in a similar fashion as he did last season, we all be dancing in the streets.  I hope you’re right....but I don’t think he’s going to improve THAT much.  

9 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

The world never got wild horse Mahomes.  Allen was on a bad team.  For every bad play, he made a good one and added an unreal play that was on the money and dropped.  Year 2 Allen does what year 2 Mahomes does in KC.  And Year 3 we saw what he did.  Its not a homer.  Allen had to figure it out on the job without a saftey net.  Mahomes enter the all time best situation a qb entered. 

Tell me......you didn’t just say that!!!!! booker t wwe GIF

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

so your saying that Allens improvement over his first 3 years will continue and we’ll see similar improvement this season? MVP is inevitable if this is the case.  If his improvement from 20 to 21 is equal to his improvement from 19 to 20 then we’ll easily go undefeated and win the super bowl.  We’ll probably never lose again.  

you’re not taking the lack of crowd noise into consideration when talking about his improvement.  That played a part.  The addition of Diggs was a huge factor in his improvement.  We didn’t add Diggs this year. We will have crowds this year.  If he improves as a QB, which I expect, the improvement won’t be nearly as visible as it was last season.  But if you’re right.....and he improves in a similar fashion as he did last season, we all be dancing in the streets.  I hope you’re right....but I don’t think he’s going to improve THAT much.  

Tell me......you didn’t just say that!!!!! booker t wwe GIF

Replace Jon Brown and Cole beasley.  With Hill and Kelce.  Plus, Hardmon, Watkins and either Willaims out the backfield.  Mahomes doesnt win a superbowl or MVP throwing to the dudes Allen had.  Diggs is the only skill player that starts for Kc right now.  As a rookie he has Jones, Benjamin, and Holmes.... Allen gave Beasley, Brown, and Diggs career years.  They made him though?  

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I did not like Allen as a draft pick. But that is totally irrelevant to the current discussion unless you want to play the emotion game. Which I have zero time for.

I seem to remember someone saying past performance is the best indicator of future performance. In this very thread, even.

• Haha (+1) 1

Too many people cant remove circumstances from player evaluation.  Also, first impressions are hard to over come.  Both are against Allen.  As a rookie he had to be superman to win games.  Playing that way he made some ugly plays.  Mahomes makes bone head plays as much as Allen but everyone remembers this dude in KC throwing Bombs to Hill and dimes to Kelce his first year.  The system and players matter espically at the highest level.  

7 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Replace Jon Brown and Cole beasley.  With Hill and Kelce.  Plus, Hardmon, Watkins and either Willaims out the backfield.  Mahomes doesnt win a superbowl or MVP throwing to the dudes Allen had.  Diggs is the only skill player that starts for Kc right now.  As a rookie he has Jones, Benjamin, and Holmes.... Allen gave Beasley, Brown, and Diggs career years.  They made him though?  

You seem to forget.....

MAHOMES HAD HILL AND KELCE.  HE DIDNT HAVE BROWN OR BEASLEY!!  HE DIDNT LOSE IN HIS FIRST PLAYOFF START.  HE WON MVP IN HIS FIRST YEAR AS A STARTER!  HE WON THE SUPER BOWL AND SUPER BOWL MVP IN HIS SECOND YEAR AS A STARTER.

STOP TALKING ABOUT THE LAND OF MAKE BELIEVE AND TALK ABOUT WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED.  This is turning into a thread for day dreaming idiots.  Go put your imagination to the test and write a sci fi novel or something.  Talking about make believe just gets you a 🙄

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

Too many people cant remove circumstances from player evaluation.  Also, first impressions are hard to over come.  Both are against Allen.  As a rookie he had to be superman to win games.  Playing that way he made some ugly plays.  Mahomes makes bone head plays as much as Allen but everyone remembers this dude in KC throwing Bombs to Hill and dimes to Kelce his first year.  The system and players matter espically at the highest level.  

You can’t remove circumstances......because you don’t KNOW what would happen if you remove them.  How can you even talk about something that never existed?  You’re clearly a confused homer that needs to talk about MAKE BELIEVE in order to try and prove your point.  You love Josh Allen, probably less than I do, but you let your emotions get the best of you.  The world knows Mahomes is currently better than Mahomes.  You think otherwise.  Along with 23 other Bills fans.

What does this have to do with anything?  What does what people were saying about Mahomes pre draft have anything to do with anything?  you said it yourself.... he’s amazing.  

what does someone’s pre draft thoughts about Josh Allen have to do with anything?
Because someone didn’t like 17 coming out of college, does that means they know nothing about QBs?   

Really? You can't piece that together?

There were similar evaluations of Mahomes and Allen coming out. Mahomes had one circumstance I would call ideal. Allen had another circumstance where he was thrown to the wolves.

Now swap players and circumstance and speculate away...

understand?

3 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Well said :beer:

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

You seem to forget.....

MAHOMES HAD HILL AND KELCE.  HE DIDNT HAVE BROWN OR BEASLEY!!  HE DIDNT LOSE IN HIS FIRST PLAYOFF START.  HE WON MVP IN HIS FIRST YEAR AS A STARTER!  HE WON THE SUPER BOWL AND SUPER BOWL MVP IN HIS SECOND YEAR AS A STARTER.

STOP TALKING ABOUT THE LAND OF MAKE BELIEVE AND TALK ABOUT WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED.  This is turning into a thread for day dreaming idiots.  Go put your imagination to the test and write a sci fi novel or something.  Talking about make believe just gets you a 🙄

You can’t remove circumstances......because you don’t KNOW what would happen if you remove them.  How can you even talk about something that never existed?  You’re clearly a confused homer that needs to talk about MAKE BELIEVE in order to try and prove your point.  You love Josh Allen, probably less than I do, but you let your emotions get the best of you.  The world knows Mahomes is currently better than Mahomes.  You think otherwise.  Along with 23 other Bills fans.

Don't you understand that this swapping of circumstances is the entire point of this exercise, though?

Mahomes would now be in Buffalo with below average Tight Ends (which he relies heavily on), no capable running game (which he's had pretty much his entire stint in KC) and no deep threat speedsters like Hill and Hardman.

Allen, on the other hand, would get an upgrade in weapons (Kelce, Hill, Hardman), a capable running game, and an offensive coach who is a QB guru.

We make that trade and I am sure both players are still great, but giving Allen that might let him improve over the next few years than he will in Buffalo... especially when we lose Daboll.

Allen goes to KC and becomes the GOAT. That’s a Buffalo swap... I'll give you guys that.

You seem to forget.....

Buffalo drafts Mahomes.  He wins the Superbowl in Buffalo? Yes, Mahomes has more accelades and was better sooner.  Last year Allen finished ahead of Mahomes in MVP.  Not crazy to think Allen does it again.  Now 2 guys entering 21 are in similar positions.  Because of 18 and 19 you want Mahomes?  Fine.  Call me a homer for liking Allen thats fine.  It also doeant mean im wrong either.

5 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I seem to remember someone saying past performance is the best indicator of future performance. In this very thread, even.

Indeed. And if the only projection I had ever made was on Josh Allen you might have a point. 

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Absolutely this. It is a completely academic question, because it is not founded in reality but faced with it I'd take Mahomes. I think he may well end up considered the Goat. But in this similarly fictitious world if you said to me "well Mahomes is off the table" I'd take Josh Allen. I completely believe the guy is a legit elite Quarterback. He will win us a Lombardi. I am pretty confident on that. I just think he and the Bills might be the Big Ben and the Steelers rather than the Brady and the Patriots. The team that make 3 in a 10 year stretch and win 2 of them. It isn't an indictment on Josh as it seems to be perceived in this thread to say I'd still take Pat. To be honest if you offered me Pat at this age and Brady at this age I'd take Pat. 

And I thought both were big risks at draft time. I likely wouldn't have taken either. Luckily Brett Veach and Brandon Beane know more than I do. 

Yup, nicely put. I like the Big Ben point, though obviously I hope you're underestimating. Thoughtful.

And that's how I'd order them also, Mahomes and then Allen. Nearly everyone, really, the exceptions being largely Bills fans. If Rodgers were young again and playing the way he is now, I'd have to stop and think a bunch more, but he's not and Mahomes then Allen would be how most around the league would order this.

Saying that, I think it's reasonable to guess that Josh might have just as good a career if not better. But based on what we've seen, that's not how most would bet. 

Edited by Thurman#1

On 5/24/2021 at 7:50 AM, NewEra said:

During the season that Allen edged Mahomes in mvp votes, Mahomes went 2-0 vs allen head to head watching Allen flounder in each game and ended his season in embarrassing fashion.  

Seems we will never agree so maybe this will be my last post on the matter. The difference between the two over the entire regular season is miniscule. It's truly splitting hairs. Obviously many thought the same. Allen being 2nd in MVP voting, and the two splitting the vote for 2nd team all-pro. You may not see the evidence but certainly some did in 2020.

I don't understand the head to head argument. They're not playing each other on the field. Tannehill absolutely smoked the Bills last season the week before in a blow out victory. But that says nothing to Tannehill being on the same level as Allen. And had the Bills drawn the Titans instead of the Ravens or Colts in the playoffs who knows maybe the Titans prevail again. Titans were actually the team i feared most as a possible round 1 or 2 match up because their offense is so well rounded and Tannehill can make enough plays with is legs as well to really break the back of a defense.

As Zerovoltz has pointed out to us numerous times, when it comes to Bills vs. Chiefs it's simply a bad match up of our offensive strength against their defensive strength. Our WR centric offense and lack of a dominant running game plays directly into the Chiefs defensive strength. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

but he's not and Mahomes then Allen would be how most around the league would order this.

Not that it matters what others around the league think, but I think you are overestimating how those around the league, especially if we are talking fans, feel about Allen. Some would have him #2 but I don't think he would be in the majority. Heck, an equal amount would probably have guys like Burrow and Herbert ahead of Allen if they are looking at it in terms of who would you take for the future. I think when it comes to Allen I think many around the league greatly underrated him off his first two seasons and it is making it hard for them to truly come around to him. Many looked at his first year starting as a disaster when part of the reality was that he put up one of the most dominant 6 game stretches the NFL had ever seen from a QB when he came back from his injury. And that is not to mention the disaster of a supporting cast he had at the skill positions.

Now if we are talking general managers and some of the smarter analysts out there like Chris Simms I would expect Allen to be #2 in the majority of those conversations.