Fairburn would swap Allen for Mahomes. Would you?

Would you swap Allen for Mahomes in a player for player swap?  

427 members have voted

1. 1. Would you swap Allen for Mahomes in a player for player swap?

That's a weird answer to the question he was asked. I'd rather trade Jacob Hollister for Travis Kelce than Allen for Mahomes. Or Aaron Donald for Vernon Butler. He was given a question with limitless potential and chose the most boring answer.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The question isn’t “who has achieved more” or “who is the better qb”.  So yes, there is a debate.  Who would YOU rather have..... I’d rather keep my favorite player as opposed to a player I’ve already learned to dislike. 

There is no correct answer.  It’s an opinion.  It’s not “who would give you their better chance to win a super bowl” or “who is the better qb”. It’s who would you rather have.  You can’t be right or wrong. 

I mean if the question isn’t viewed through the lens of “who is the better QB” then sure, Ryan Fitzpatrick has an argument in this debate lol.

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

As far as benefiting the team, why trade a top 5 QB for another top 5 QB even if he is better?

Why not trade, say, Dawson Knox for Travis Kelce, or Mario Addison for Khalil Mack or TJ Watt?

You have a chance to majorly upgrade the team. Allen is one of the strengths of the team, so take a weakness and make it a strength by focusing on another position.

This is actually the best answer. The difference between Josh, Tre and Diggs and the respective best players at those positions is approaching zero. Would be terrible positions to “upgrade”.

12 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

If Mahomes were a country mile better than Allen, and Allen had reached his ceiling, then sure. But, he isn't, and he hasn't.

And, swapping the two, at this point in The Process would be utterly contrary, and damaging to the culture McD, and Beane have created. They're all in on Allen, Allen is all in on the team, and the team is all in on him. 

Has Patrick Mahomes reached his ceiling? 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, FireChans said:

None of which Allen has done.

Mahomes is off to arguably the best start in NFL QB history. Allen is not.

I get the intangibles thing, but Mahomes certainly has his fair share of intangibles and making jaw dropping plays out of nothing to keep his team cruising. 

Allen needs to win a SB and an MVP before this is a real debate.

Do you believe Mahomes would have found similar success if he were drafted by Buffalo in 2017 at #10 with Buffalo's coaching staff, talent, and the likelihood that he would have had to start at some point during his first season considering McDermott decided to start Nathan Peterman at one point?

Mahomes has more accomplishments and accolades at this point. I view that as a tangential argument to the ceilings of either player.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Do you believe Mahomes would have found similar success if he were drafted by Buffalo in 2017 at #10 with Buffalo's coaching staff, talent, and the likelihood that he would have had to start at some point during his first season considering McDermott decided to start Nathan Peterman at one point?

Mahomes has more accomplishments and accolades at this point. I view that as a tangential argument to the ceilings of either player.

I think Mahomes would have had more success than Allen as a rookie. 

Tyrod and Natey took the 17 Bills to the playoffs. The next year, with a similar roster, they went 6-10. Do I think Mahomes could have beaten that? Yes.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Tyrod and Natey took the 17 Bills to the playoffs. The next year, with a similar roster, they went 6-10. Do I think Mahomes could have beaten that? Yes.

They most certainly did not.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Yeah, I could see 7-9...

9 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I think you seriously underestimate the benefit of a redshirt year for Mahomes behind Alex Smith under the tutelage of Andy Reid and the talent already surrounding him in his first year with Hill and Kelce already rolling and a pretty stellar offensive line compared with what Buffalo had.

Josh Allen had Kelvin Benjamin, Zay Jones, Robert Foster and Charles Clay and an offensive line full of general junk other than a rookie Dion Dawkins.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Has Patrick Mahomes reached his ceiling? 

I suspect that Mahomes is closer to his ceiling than Allen is to his. 

Statistically, Mahomes has been remarkably consistent over his four year career. Allen's trajectory has obviously been quite a bit steeper, and it would be surprising if he was done improving.

42 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Mahomes is the better QB

17 has my heart.  

I’ll take 17

I really don’t believe that is a valid conclusion at this point.  Josh still hasn’t reached his ceiling; has Mahomes?

35 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Aw man some of you get so emotional.

seems you have a hard time knowing the difference from emotional and just pointing out you bowing on your knees for mahomes and those who, like myself would rather have JA as our QB.

so far, you have shown in this thread you would choose mahomes over JA or at least it looks that way. 

emotional. 🤣

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Gugny said:

They most certainly did not.

Well maybe I can get the money back that I spent to sweat in Jacksonville for four hours.

16 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I think you seriously underestimate the benefit of a redshirt year for Mahomes behind Alex Smith under the tutelage of Andy Reid and the talent already surrounding him in his first year with Hill and Kelce already rolling and a pretty stellar offensive line compared with what Buffalo had.

Josh Allen had Kelvin Benjamin, Zay Jones, Robert Foster and Charles Clay and an offensive line full of general junk other than a rookie Dion Dawkins.

I mean, Tyrod and NP took KB, Zay Day, Clay and Holmes to the postseason the year before.

No one is arguing that Allen has as good as a situation as Mahomes did. Talk about tangential.

18 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I suspect that Mahomes is closer to his ceiling than Allen is to his. 

Statistically, Mahomes has been remarkably consistent over his four year career. Allen's trajectory has obviously been quite a bit steeper, and it would be surprising if he was done improving.

Mahomes gets a knock on his ceiling because he has been great out of the box and has been consistently great. Hard for folks to crow about your “ceiling” when you’ve already done things that 99% of QB’s won’t come close to achieving.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’m going to answer this on the basis of Mahomes’ supposed response to the question of whether the “throw off” between him and Allen would ever take place, that it’s a lose-lose for him  because “if I win I was expected to win, and if I lose then I’ve lost”. If that is in fact his mindset, give me the dude in whom the idea that he might lose wouldn’t even cross his mind, even if he might…

Allen is so much more than just his talent to the Bills, he has become their heart and soul. They’ve forged their identity on his infectious enthusiasm and his never-say-die competitiveness.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Mahomes is a flash in the pan will not even be in the league in 3 years mark my words

WOW!!!   Anywhere we can place a bet on that???  I am pretty sure a bunch of people would like to get in on that.......I get the hate but DANG!

• Like (+1) 1