Fairburn would swap Allen for Mahomes. Would you?

Would you swap Allen for Mahomes in a player for player swap?  

427 members have voted

1. 1. Would you swap Allen for Mahomes in a player for player swap?

I don't know how much this topic has been covered over the years and I'm sure this won't be the last of it, but in The Athletic's weekly mailbag Matthew Fairburn was asked the following:

If you could do a player swap for any player in the NFL, who would it be and why? Rules are as follows: both players have to be starters, and the players being traded have to occupy the same position. So no WR for CB. How specific are we getting? I think we should differentiate 1 tech and 3 tech. Hopefully, that gives you a good framework. – Matt W.

And here was Fairrburn's response:

I don’t mean to disrespect Josh Allen, but swapping him for Patrick Mahomes seems to be the move. I would say that about every team in the NFL right now. Quarterback is the most important position in football, and Mahomes is the clear best quarterback in the league. No player would have a bigger impact on a team.

I wouldn't. I guess this is just another indicator I'm too much of a homer...?

The thing is that I realize that at no point in the last 3 years can you necessarily say that Josh was better. But to me Josh is still ascending and Mahomes is pretty much what he is already... which is fantastic. I also think Mahomes has benefitted from a better roster (especially the weapons around him) and better offensive coaching and development (love Daboll but Reid >>>> Daboll). I also think Allen is more physically to last in the NFL. And frankly I just think Allen's mentality/attitude is better than Mahomes.

I readily acknowledge that Mahomes has been better than Allen. However, I don’t believe the Bills would be a better team over the next decade plus if we simply swapped QBs and kept everything else in place.

What say you?

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

Nope, Josh is perfect for the Bills.

Mahomes and Andy fit perfectly together and I don't know if he would have the same success here without his supporting cast. 

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 13
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I truly believe Allen will eclipse Mahomes skill wise. 

He was just so dang raw coming out, I still see him taking a jump , even after being an All Pro and 2nd in MVP voting. 

And Josh fits this team like a glove.

I'm not making that trade. Allen has the highest ceiling of any QB.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I don't know how much this topic has been covered over the years and I'm sure this won't be the last of it, but in The Athletic's weekly mailbag Matthew Fairburn was asked the following:

If you could do a player swap for any player in the NFL, who would it be and why? Rules are as follows: both players have to be starters, and the players being traded have to occupy the same position. So no WR for CB. How specific are we getting? I think we should differentiate 1 tech and 3 tech. Hopefully, that gives you a good framework. – Matt W.

And here was Fairrburn's response:

I don’t mean to disrespect Josh Allen, but swapping him for Patrick Mahomes seems to be the move. I would say that about every team in the NFL right now. Quarterback is the most important position in football, and Mahomes is the clear best quarterback in the league. No player would have a bigger impact on a team.

I wouldn't. I guess this is just another indicator I'm too much of a homer...?

The thing is that I realize that at no point in the last 3 years can you necessarily say that Josh was better. But to me Josh is still ascending and Mahomes is pretty much what he is already... which is fantastic. I also think Mahomes has benefitted from a better roster (especially the weapons around him) and better offensive coaching and development (love Daboll but Reid >>>> Daboll). I also think Allen is more physically to last in the NFL. And frankly I just think Allen's mentality/attitude is better than Mahomes.

I readily acknowledge that Mahomes has been better than Allen. However, I don’t believe the Bills would be a better team over the next decade plus if we simply swapped QBs and kept everything else in place.

What say you?

The correct answer is yes.

But I would say that you could play this game with would you trade X QB for Allen and that would be a yes for 30 teams in the NFL. Which counts for something.

Just now, JerseyBills said:

I truly believe Allen will eclipse Mahomes skill wise. 

He was just so dang raw coming out, I still see him taking a jump , even after being an All Pro and 2nd in MVP voting. 

And Josh fits this team like a glove.

I'm not making that trade. Allen has the highest ceiling of any QB.

Can you really have a higher ceiling than league MVP and Super Bowl winner?

Edited by FireChans
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 2

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

But I would say that you could play this game with would you trade X QB for Allen and that would be a yes for 30 teams in the NFL. Which counts for something.

Yes. 

I truly believe Josh hasn't reached his ceiling,  so I can see him being more of an asset than Patty in the next couple years. 

Mahomes is better right now but I think in a year or 2, Allen will be the top guy.

Can't teach 6'5 240 pounds with a rocket as an arm n phenomenal on his legs

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yes you can be a multiple time league MVP and, more importantly, multiple time Super Bowl winner.

None of which Allen has done.

Mahomes is off to arguably the best start in NFL QB history. Allen is not.

I get the intangibles thing, but Mahomes certainly has his fair share of intangibles and making jaw dropping plays out of nothing to keep his team cruising. 

Allen needs to win a SB and an MVP before this is a real debate.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Nope.  No QB has ever won more than 1 Super Bowl or MVP.

No QB has won 2 MVPs without winning one.

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

I think both are in the right spot and switching them might result in both not performing as well.  Mahomes was more ready for the pro game when he arrived in the pro's and had a team that was already built and prepared for him.  And being so ready he quickly reached his ceiling.  Allen was a raw product out of college and grew into the role while at the same time the team grew and developed around him.  He's more a big piece of the puzzle that makes the Bills go than a guy that got plugged into an already there situation.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

we get it. go ahead, bow to mahomes. he's the greatest, he won mvp and a sb, holy moly batman. meanwhile we will think differently about our QB and his future with the bills.

debate, pfft.

Aw man some of you get so emotional.

• Thank you (+1) 1

If Mahomes were a country mile better than Allen, and Allen had reached his ceiling, then sure. But, he isn't, and he hasn't.

And, swapping the two, at this point in The Process would be utterly contrary, and damaging to the culture McD, and Beane have created. They're all in on Allen, Allen is all in on the team, and the team is all in on him. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I certainly won't take anything away from Mahomes.  He's awesome.

But let's be honest, here.  He was drafted by a much better organization, coaching staff and team - which immediately surrounded him with supreme talent.

Josh Allen?  Not so much.

It's no coincidence that Josh Allen continues to improve as the talent around him improves.  That's not to say that Allen hasn't made incredible personal improvements; he has.  

Throwing passes to Kelvin Benjamin and Zay Jones isn't setting any QB up to be successful.   Replace that with Diggs and Beasley and *poof* now Josh Allen gets the second most MVP votes.

Has Mahomes been more successful?  Yes.  Much more.

But it's not just because Mahomes is the better QB.  

If he is, it ain't by much.

I'll stick with Josh.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, FireChans said:

None of which Allen has done.

I get the intangibles thing, but Mahomes certainly has his fair share of intangibles and making jaw dropping plays out of nothing to keep his team cruising. 

Allen needs to win a SB and an MVP before this is a real debate.

No QB has won 2 MVPs without winning one.

The question isn’t “who has achieved more” or “who is the better qb”.  So yes, there is a debate.  Who would YOU rather have..... I’d rather keep my favorite player as opposed to a player I’ve already learned to dislike. 

28 minutes ago, FireChans said:

There is no correct answer.  It’s an opinion.  It’s not “who would give you their better chance to win a super bowl” or “who is the better qb”. It’s who would you rather have.  You can’t be right or wrong. 

• Like (+1) 2

As far as benefiting the team, why trade a top 5 QB for another top 5 QB even if he is better?

Why not trade, say, Dawson Knox for Travis Kelce, or Mario Addison for Khalil Mack or TJ Watt?

You have a chance to majorly upgrade the team. Allen is one of the strengths of the team, so take a weakness and make it a strength by focusing on another position.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1