Etienne thought he was going to be a Bill

DJB

10 hours ago, Doc said:

I've heard that good offenses can't be helped by better players.  Heard it right here on this board, actually.

Imagine adding a WR, a RB AND a TE who could each score 11 or more TDs.  Those guys could turn a decent season into an MVP season!  A mediocre scoring Offense into the best in the league!

22 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There is zero frame of reference for that take.

Who are these organization changing RB's?

How many times did we have to watch the Saints face-plant in the playoffs to realize that the impact of an Alvin Kamara doesn't really make much of a difference?

Teams without great regular season RB play have been consistently winning SB's for decades now.    It's not important to have an exceptional RB.

We arent talking about "organization changing RBs". There are no such thing.

We already have our organization changing GM, and organization changing HC, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, our organization changing QB.

The skill players we surround him with just help make us that much more dangerous in an Offensive league. Especially a pass-catching RB like ETN. And expecially when the rest of our Offense is already built.

You write all these posts like folks are arguing ETN is some savior who is going to lift the Bills out of the dungeon.

Nah, son.

He's the cherry on top that helps take us from AFC Championship game level to Super Bowl level.

Again, you are still arguing from the perspective of the 20 year drought.

Need to put all those Paxton Lynches behind you and get with the Process.

Stay humble, stay hungry. 😘

On 5/22/2021 at 6:58 PM, Victory Formation said:

And if Etienne does end up being a Christian McCafferry talent, do you pay a RB $16M/yr when it comes to their second contract?

No, but you do get Christian McCaffrey talent lined up in the backfield with Josh Allen for 5 years. The offense becomes even more explosive and difficult to stop.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/22/2021 at 5:50 PM, Process said:

We saw in the Bills Embedded video we were trying to move up in the first. We'll probably never know who it was for and that's probably for the best. If Beane was trying to trade up for a RB I'd rather not know about it. 

ithink buffalo would have drafted Trevor Lawrence if he fell to their pick......

• Haha (+1) 1

If Beane was seriously trying to move up it was for J Phillips imo. Pass rush was a greater need than RB, even a very good one who could figure in the passing game. The Bucs RBs are not what beat Mahomes and the Chiefs, it was their D line. Beane wanted pass rushers so bad he drafted two with his first picks. I tend to think that was his focus all along. 

• Like (+1) 3

On 5/22/2021 at 6:19 PM, StHustle said:

How can you say this? If Etienne ends up a HOF and Rousseau is out of the league after his rookie contract would your view still hold water? A top level RB who can also line up wide and catch as good as a starting caliber slot receiver is more valuable than an average pass rusher any day.

See C.J. Spiller.

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We arent talking about "organization changing RBs". There are no such thing.

We already have our organization changing GM, and organization changing HC, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, our organization changing QB.

The skill players we surround him with just help make us that much more dangerous in an Offensive league. Especially a pass-catching RB like ETN. And expecially when the rest of our Offense is already built.

You write all these posts like folks are arguing ETN is some savior who is going to lift the Bills out of the dungeon.

Nah, son.

He's the cherry on top that helps take us from AFC Championship game level to Super Bowl level.

Again, you are still arguing from the perspective of the 20 year drought.

Need to put all those Paxton Lynches behind you and get with the Process.

Stay humble, stay hungry. 😘

I get that the drought made some of you very out of touch with how the league works now.

But even if you go back to the last Bills SB run adding a first round RB has NEVER raised any already championship-game-level team to a SB winning team. 

You gotta' go back to Tony Dorsett in 1977 to find a 1st round RB that put a team over the top.

Things have changed a bit since then.

Stay willful, say ignorant, Doc.  😘

15 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

MCC not MCM, yes.  He’s unique and was absolutely worth the pick.  This is self evident.  No sane fan or FO would ever prefer Mostert to him, no matter what decade it is.  Bad example 

Bad example?

McCaffrey makes $16M per year.    

Mostert makes $3M.

Mostert is actually better than CMC on his 150 touches and then is fresh for the playoffs.    

I will take the latter and have a RB by committee approach......which you need anyway because RB's get hurt.........as evidenced by CMC missing most of last season after getting that 4 year $64M deal.

Then spend that $13M in cap space elsewhere.   Like maybe on the OT or at WR or at pass rusher or CB.    Edge/island positions where individual talent can have a greater impact on winning and losing.

And rather than throw the ball to a RB for 8 yards per grab I will use the modern approach and just throw it to my $7M slot guy Cole Beasley and have him put up nearly 1,000 yards at a much higher clip per reception.

• Like (+1) 3

15 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Yep. Makes no sense. None. Just because our offense was elite last year shouldn’t mean you aren’t trying to make it even better.

Of course the offense should be trying to get better.........but RB isn't a position that warrants big invesement..........and first round picks are prime chips........it's the equivalent of a $15M-$20M per year chip in free agency...........you gotta' use that chip wisely.

Using one on a RB is just bad business.

And for the people like you and @DrDawkinstein...........get your heads out of the sand...........if the best case scenario played out and somehow Travis Etienne were to put up seasons like Alvin Kamara or Christian McCaffrey then they are NOT playing 5 years on that rookie deal.

You will get 3 years......and then you will have to give them a big 4-5 year extension or they will withhold services............so there goes your "draft one in the first every 5 years" plan.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 2

34 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Bad example?

McCaffrey makes $16M per year.    

Mostert makes $3M.

Mostert is actually better than CMC on his 150 touches and then is fresh for the playoffs.    

I will take the latter and have a RB by committee approach......which you need anyway because RB's get hurt.........as evidenced by CMC missing most of last season after getting that 4 year $64M deal.

Then spend that $13M in cap space elsewhere.   Like maybe on the OT or at WR or at pass rusher or CB.    Edge/island positions where individual talent can have a greater impact on winning and losing.

And rather than throw the ball to a RB for 8 yards per grab I will use the modern approach and just throw it to my $7M slot guy Cole Beasley and have him put up nearly 1,000 yards at a much higher clip per reception.

McCaffery was a huge bargain in his first 3 seasons on a rookie contract (I already pointed that out).  He accounted for an astounding 66 TDs for that Offense in 2 years.  That's insane value by dollars and draft capital.   Defenses had to game plan around him.   For that team there is no other single edge/CB/OT (LOL)/WR who would have had anything close to the same impact on "winning and losing".

None of this is true for Mostert, who is a minimal receiving threat (at least his OC thinks so, with so few targets) and, as an extremely low mileage RB, couldn't stay on the field even as a 10-15 carry back.  124 touches and he was out of commission 3 different times last year.

Might as well yearn for CJ Spiller coming back.....

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I get that the drought made some of you very out of touch with how the league works now.

But even if you go back to the last Bills SB run adding a first round RB has NEVER raised any already championship-game-level team to a SB winning team. 

You gotta' go back to Tony Dorsett in 1977 to find a 1st round RB that put a team over the top.

Things have changed a bit since then.

Stay willful, say ignorant, Doc.  😘

Classic Badol. When confronted with an alternative argument, ignore the details completely and double-down on the already accepted point you are unnecessarily reiterating in order to feel "right".

You could make your RB/Dorsett/Super Bowl argument about ANY position besides QB. Because it's vague and nonsensical and cant really be proven in a team game. It doesnt mean teams shouldn't be trying to improve other positions, especially when they already have a loaded roster at pretty much every other spot. Nor does it mean those other positions/draft picks/FAs didnt help put a team over the top.

None of what you are saying changes the fact that ETN is a major upgrade over our current RBs. And by making a major upgrade and adding an offensive weapon, it would help this team take another step forward.

You could make your same Dorsett argument for WR, but look at how much adding Diggs has helped our offense. And look at what we had to spend to get him.

ETN could have been a huge addition to this offense and could have helped us take a step forward. And would have been worth it in this window we are currently in.

No amount of arguing, or emojis will change that. It's fine if you want to say you don't think so, but it certainly isnt fact or hard set in any rule book.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/22/2021 at 4:11 PM, Process said:

In poker if you make a call on the turn with a hand that has a 5% chance of winning, and get there on the river, did you make a good call?

Doesn't matter if ETN ends up being Barry Sanders and Rousseau another Aaron Maybin.

In the end the player’s careers will justify the decision making retroactively or call into question the decision making. But in terms of general philosophy it is always better to not trade up for a non-QB player and it is a better bet to take a chance on a pass rusher than a RB.

The Bills made the right decision on paper will it pan out in reality? I hope so but that’s TBD. I will say that it is always best to make the prudent move on paper as the odds are typically better in your favor.

5 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

'Etienne thought he was going to be a Bill'
image.thumb.jpeg.efafe4c287e07e52bb3b25f78c35efc8.jpeg
Sitting there on Capitol Hill.

Hahahaha.

But maybe he was just thinking this....

The sad thing is half the people on this board have no idea why that was so funny.

I used to love schoolhouse rock as a tyqe 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/23/2021 at 1:58 AM, Victory Formation said:

And if Etienne does end up being a Christian McCafferry talent, do you pay a RB $16M/yr when it comes to their second contract?

U pay him no prb. U don't take a player in the draft worrying about what your gonna have to pay him in his 2nd contract and if u knew u would have to pay him top dollar it makes that much more sense to select him no matter the position they play. 

On 5/23/2021 at 4:05 PM, Doc said:

After using 2-3rd round picks on RBs the prior 2 drafts, signing an UDFA who looked promising in his limited playing time, and adding a "homerun threat" in Breida in FA, I never took drafting ETN in the first seriously.

I think they were open minded. Guessing it was more about BPA "That fit the scheme "
 and will never know for sure

But the Kid was worth consideration at 30

or later :)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.