Better check this guy's wonderlic

Jets | Brien Did Not See Release Coming - from www.KFFL.com

Tue, 26 Apr 2005 09:35:43 -0700

Rich Cimini, of the New York Daily News, reports New York Jets PK Doug Brien, despite missing field goals in a playoff loss, never saw his release coming from the team. He is convinced the Jets would not have drafted PK Mike Nugent if he had not missed two field goal attempts against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Brien does not understand how he could make 83 percent of his field goals during the season, win a playoff game (against the San Diego Chargers) with a field goal kick and then lose his job. Due to salary cap reasons, the Jets will not release him until after June 1, but he has been given permission to speak with other teams.

Brien does not understand how he could make 83 percent of his field goals during the season, win a playoff game (against the San Diego Chargers) with a field goal kick and then lose his job.

Lindell made 86% of his kicks.

Brien sucks... period. 83 % can be misleading... and 86% in Lindell's case is extremely misleading. When you consider the bills elected to punt or go for it on 4th down as many times as they elected to kick a field goal when the reached the 25 yardline, that says something...

If I were the coach, the offense has to get to the 20 yard line before I call Lindell's name... and then i hold my breath.

Brien sucks... period.  83 % can be misleading... and 86% in Lindell's case is extremely misleading.  When you consider the bills elected to punt or go for it on 4th down as many times as they elected to kick a field goal when the reached the 25 yardline, that says something...

If I were the coach, the offense has to get to the 20 yard line before I call Lindell's name... and then i hold my breath.

319797[/snapback]

That missed kick in the 1st Jets game turned out to be a real shot to the jewels.

Lindell hasn't been blasted for missing that chip-shot field goal against Pittsburgh that officially took us out of the playoffs. I don't think that he will be blasted by signing Brien or some other kicker. It's sad too. I have always liked the Bills kicker... something that changed when TD came in.

Hey, I have something to gripe with TD afterall... I was scared there for a moment.

...well, Brien DID leave us with a lovely parting gift--a last-minute FG to beat Our Heroes during the ohfer tale of woe early last season.

319898[/snapback]

Yes, yes he did.

We'd better get used to that, though, what with NUGENT being the Jets kicker now.

:lol:

Yes, lindell made 86% of his FGs...but this stat is decieving. Statistics can be decieving. Ever remember a math teacher telling you that?

Whats so decieving about that stat? Well, for starters he only attempted THREE field goals all season longer than 40 yards. THREE. and he made one of them.

The year before, he tried 9 of them. He made 3.

He has lost the confidence of the coaching staff. They wont even let him try a 40-45 yard field goal. If I have to sit there and watch us punt from the 25 yard line again I am going to scream. I dont blame Mularkey. I blame Lindell.

Yes, Bring in Brien (or really anyone). At least somone new will have the chance to suceed here. Lindell wont because his confidence is shot.

Yes, lindell made 86% of his FGs...but this stat is decieving.  Statistics can be decieving.  Ever remember a math teacher telling you that?

Whats so decieving about that stat?  Well, for starters he only attempted THREE field goals all season longer than 40 yards.  THREE.  and he made one of them.

The year before, he tried 9 of them.  He made 3.

He has lost the confidence of the coaching staff.  They wont even let him try a 40-45 yard field goal.  If I have to sit there and watch us punt from the 25 yard line again  I am going to scream.  I dont blame Mularkey.  I blame Lindell.

Yes, Bring in Brien (or really anyone).  At least somone new will have the chance to suceed here.  Lindell wont because his confidence is shot.

320017[/snapback]

No thanks. Anyone who missed TWO extra points in ONE game is officially dismissed in my book as being anyone I would ever want around my team.

No thanks. Anyone who missed TWO extra points in ONE game is officially dismissed in my book as being anyone I would ever want around my team.

While I agree with you, I submit that kickers are fragile. When their mind starts going, they cant do anything. They need to be confident. New surroundings often do wonders for kickers. I'm not saying Brien is the wonder-kid we are all looking for, but what I am saying, is that he needs a fresh start somewhere. Same with Lindell. Lindell needs to move on, and I think Brien is at least capable of picking up where Lindell left off and perhaps give us a slight upgrade.

I am open to just about ANY established kicker at this point though...Brien or not.

How soon you all forget.... (except for BuffaloDenney, that is....)

September 15, 2002: Bills 45, Vikings 39 (OT)

"The Bills created three Vikings turnovers while committing none themselves and also benefitted from two missed PATs by Minnesota kicker Doug Brien."

He missed a FG in that game, too.

I don't trust Lindell. But I don't trust Brien, either - in fact, I brought up those missed PATs while watching that Jets playoff game with friends who are huge Stiller fans. (They now think I'm some kind of genius, and paid for my dinner after the game...)

On the other hand, if the rumors about da Bearsss whacking Paul Edinger are true, now there's a guy I'd like to see the Bills make a run at. No in-depth analysis, just an opinion, although I will include stat links for each if y'all care to do the comparisons...

Stats:

Brien

Edinger

Lindell