The Bills might be able to solve the CB situation across from White during the 2021 season only.

20 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think Beane went out and got Trubiski as an insurance policy for a championship run this season if Josh goes down for 3-4 games.  If Trubisky can go .500 in any starts he has this season, I think we still make the playoffs and a healthy Josh can hopefully step back in and make the playoff run.  I don't think Beane will give up that insurance policy for any one year rental.

I did once think Trubisky would become  a valuable trade tool.

But this post reminds why we Do need to keep him for the full season.
Hoping he becomes the very best PS QB and clipboard holder this season 

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would like to see an upgrade.  But whether or not we upgrade, we need depth - Wallace played because Josh Norman started the season injured, Jackson played because both Wallace and White were injured at different points. 

I think Beane probably has a list of names he feels might be cut, or a list of the 50-ish remaining FA CB he is interested in (but only at the right price).

Dane Jackson might be the future. One more season of rotational exp behind Wallace is fine by me. Wallace finished the season strong !

That being said

If we could get Lattimore. that would be outstanding.
Trade them one of the d line men who are about to get cut.

4 hours ago, Beerball said:

Hows about we worry about White regaining his form?

valid worrying material

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

Dane Jackson might be the future. One more season of rotational exp behind Wallace is fine by me. Wallace finished the season strong !

Here's my concern about Dane Jackson's future.  Before the start of the 2020 season he was waived before he got to the practice squad.  Then even after some starts the Bills never signed him off the practice squad and no other team tried to steal him.  This was after there was tape on him in real NFL games.  While there are plenty of players who have made it after being stashed on a practice squad, the fact that no other team ever made an attempt to steal him during the season is a bit of a concern to me.  

Personally I'd rather see self proclaimed future Hall of Famer Rachad Wildgoose win the starting job as a rookie on the way to Canton.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Here's my concern about Dane Jackson's future.  Before the start of the 2020 season he was waived before he got to the practice squad.  Then even after some starts the Bills never signed him off the practice squad and no other team tried to steal him.  This was after there was tape on him in real NFL games.  While there are plenty of players who have made it after being stashed on a practice squad, the fact that no other team ever made an attempt to steal him during the season is a bit of a concern to me.  

Personally I'd rather see self proclaimed future Hall of Famer Rachad Wildgoose win the starting job as a rookie on the way to Canton.  

You are forgetting this little thing called COVID.  There were no pre-season games.  No other team drafted Jackson in the 6+ rounds based on his college play.  There was no other tape for teams to judge him.  There were no OTA's.  Only a handful of practices to get him ready for the season.  There will be many more stories like Jackson of guys that went unnoticed in 2020 and make some impact plays in 2021.

• Like (+1) 1

Still hoping that we can sign Steven Nelson...really solid player who fits what we want to do on defense, would solidify our CB room, and still has his best football in front of him at 28.

I like Levi too, but you can't have too many talented CBs. 

Edited by Dont Stop Billeiving

11 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

You are forgetting this little thing called COVID.  There were no pre-season games.  No other team drafted Jackson in the 6+ rounds based on his college play.  There was no other tape for teams to judge him.  There were no OTA's.  Only a handful of practices to get him ready for the season.  There will be many more stories like Jackson of guys that went unnoticed in 2020 and make some impact plays in 2021.

Actually, one of my points was that even after Jackson played in some regular season games with tape on him for the rest of the NFL to see nobody tried to steal him & just as important, the Bills never sensed that there was a threat to steal him & never gave him a 53 man roster contract to make sure nobody stole him.  

13 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

"The CB Situation" isn't really a thing.  Most anyone we put back there is going to have trouble unless our D line plays better than they did last year. 

Believe it or not, it’s possible to have questions about both our D line play and our cornerback play/depth.  

He's already on the team..

think Dane Jackson is that guy and Bufs lack of adding any new guys shows that they expect him to be that guy after basically a red shirt rookie year.

I'd be willing to bet McDermott voiced this to Beane. And McD is one of , if not the best at identifying DB talent and coaching em up. Levi is an UDFA and Dane a 7th rounder. Good stuff!

Having Levi as insurance is great 

28 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

"The CB Situation" isn't really a thing.  Most anyone we put back there is going to have trouble unless our D line plays better than they did last year. 

Yup.

We're going to be able to have some very interesting DL packages. We just need Epenesa, Big Ed and our 2 top rookies to reach their potential.  Can have some interesting "Nascar" type packages on passing downs.  We got exposed in the AFC title game and I love the rookie additions, and feel the Eke signing was very underrated. 

No excuse for this DL to not be one of the best in the game 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Believe it or not, it’s possible to have questions about both our D line play and our cornerback play/depth.  

Sure, it's possible, but IMO the CB question gets asked a lot more than it should and the pass rush question hasn't been.  Looking at our draft tells me the FO agrees.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Captain Caveman said:

Sure, it's possible, but IMO the CB question gets asked a lot more than it should and the pass rush question hasn't been.  Looking at our draft tells me the FO agrees.

The FO is clearly prioritizing pass rush over coverage - to a large degree, in fact.  We can debate that strategy - the analytics people will tell you that coverage should be prioritized - but I think a good case can be made that prioritizing the pass rush is a good way to go too.

That the Bills have gone that route is not really what concerns me.  It is that the CB corps has really been neglected except for the Tre pick and extension.  CB is generally considered the first or second most important position on the defense and we’ve seen more attention to LB and S than CB.  The DL has had a ton of draft capital and cap dollars allocated to it - with limited returns so far.  I don’t think any other position group is close (except QB).  So we might be 5 deep at DE now, but we’re only 3 deep at CB.  That is not nearly enough depth so it just doesn’t make sense to me. 

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

What ?

might as well include the LBs too then  lordy the whole teams gone to hell

26 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

If someone is saying we need more depth at CB I'm not going to argue, but to me when someone says "Marshon Lattimore" depth is not the word that comes to mind.

If we added a solid to serviceable starting CB (or better) to the roster I would be a lot more at ease.  Lattimore is out of our price range currently.  The other part of this issue is we don’t have much help at S or LB to cover the slot.  We have Hyde, Poyer, Edmunds and Milano plus Neal for S depth.  If we get an injury (or more) to one of our top 2 safeties or 3 CBs things just look really, really thin to me.

We'll sign someone but it wont be a name guy, we just need another body, our improved DLine play will solve any coverage issues and combined with improved play from Edmunds will be enough against the run as well.  Our defense is going to surprise this year.