WNY Trip Booked!

Chef Jim

3 hours ago, T&C said:

You'll fit right in, if you are still up that way by then:  https://rodeosusa.com/rodeos/attica-rodeo/

I'll be gone by then.  :( 

I grew up maybe 5 miles from the rodeo grounds. My grandparents are buried right across the street.  Had a friend ride bulls there and a classmate barrel race there but I have never been to the rodeo there.  Went to a few Brad West concerts there in the 70's.  They were a lot of fun with local bands like Julius and #### Robin.  One year Brad scored big time and had Dickey Betts as a headliner.  Well here we were 10 feet from the stage waiting for Dickey to show.  Waited and waited and waited and no Dickey.  There was a guy behind us.  A spitting image of Twiggs Lyndon the road manager for the Allman Brothers.  He had a wildwoods cigar in his teeth.  Kept muttering "Where's Dickey Betts?  We want Dickey Betts. Where's Dickey Betts?"  I (probably 15 or 16 at the time) turn around and say "he's not ***** coming!!  Jesus!!"  

I'm surprised Brad didn't get run out of town for that fiasco.  

4 hours ago, Bob Lamb said:

I advise don't go to:  Jamboree in the Woods – Springville - 7/29-8/1  Too many huckleberries

Thanks for the advice but I don't need any advice. 

I'm a big huckleberry fan.  I'll be there.  :)  

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I'll be gone by then.  :( 

I grew up maybe 5 miles from the rodeo grounds. My grandparents are buried right across the street.  Had a friend ride bulls there and a classmate barrel race there but I have never been to the rodeo there.  Went to a few Brad West concerts there in the 70's.  They were a lot of fun with local bands like Julius and #### Robin.  One year Brad scored big time and had Dickey Betts as a headliner.  Well here we were 10 feet from the stage waiting for Dickey to show.  Waited and waited and waited and no Dickey.  There was a guy behind us.  A spitting image of Twiggs Lyndon the road manager for the Allman Brothers.  He had a wildwoods cigar in his teeth.  Kept muttering "Where's Dickey Betts?  We want Dickey Betts. Where's Dickey Betts?"  I (probably 15 or 16 at the time) turn around and say "he's not ***** coming!!  Jesus!!"  

I'm surprised Brad didn't get run out of town for that fiasco.  

Thanks for the advice but I don't need any advice. 

I'm a big huckleberry fan.  I'll be there.  :)  

Had the same exact thing happen at the rodeo grounds, probably around the same time. Leslie West was supposed to perform... we waited, hung around, smoked, etc... he never showed up. Finally we cut bait and partied somewhere else, I forget where.

3 minutes ago, T&C said:

Had the same exact thing happen at the rodeo grounds, probably around the same time. Leslie West was supposed to perform... we waited, hung around, smoked, etc... he never showed up. Finally we cut bait and partied somewhere else, I forget where.

Either way... enjoy your time back in WNY... been a bit since I've been back too. 

5 minutes ago, T&C said:

I'm friends with the bass player from Julius.  We used to jam around town a million years ago.  I just messaged him to see if that was the same show as the Dickey Betts one.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I'm friends with the bass player from Julius.  We used to jam around town a million years ago.  I just messaged him to see if that was the same show as the Dickey Betts one.  

Very cool... I'm curious now.

How long you going to be  in Attica? 

8 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

The pandemic is over!!  I have booked my trip for the end of July beginning of August.  

Let the ignored advice begin! 

Edited by mead107

8 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

The pandemic is over!!  I have booked my trip for the end of July beginning of August.  

I hope you ignore my advice to look into the status of your AAA membership. That sounds like pure entertainment! 

6 minutes ago, Wacka said:

10-15! 😄

Anything less than a half hour I can deal with. 

5 hours ago, T&C said:

Very cool... I'm curious now.

Here’s my friend’s reply:

No, Dickey Betts was the only act, Betts staff refused to use the flat bed to set up, saying not big enough, etc, then kept deposit $$, and big argument went down, that’s the story I know, I’m good thanks 😊

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I hope you ignore my advice to look into the status of your AAA membership. That sounds like pure entertainment! 

Thanks for your advice and of course I ignored it.  I keep the keys handy at ALL times. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Anything less than a half hour I can deal with. 

More story time. My dad was a ski instructor at Holiday Valley forever. He tells a story of riding the lift after he moved there.  A couple see’s he’s in an instructor’s jacket and asked if he was local.  He said yes. But prior he was in Attica for 30 years.  He said they scooted over a bit on the lift. LOL

2 hours ago, mead107 said:

How long you going to be  in Attica? 

Not sure. But bake me a Stromboli with a file and we’ll make it short. 

• Haha (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Here’s my friend’s reply:

No, Dickey Betts was the only act, Betts staff refused to use the flat bed to set up, saying not big enough, etc, then kept deposit $$, and big argument went down, that’s the story I know, I’m good thanks 😊

Thanks for your advice and of course I ignored it.  I keep the keys handy at ALL times. 

This could have been one year later or one year earlier... I honestly don't remember, but it would be between 74 and 78 for sure. Thanks for checking it out. Enjoy your vacation back on the homegrounds.

20 hours ago, Just Jack said:

@Chef Jim, there's going to be some interesting characters in WNY the end of July, beginning of August.  Where do you suggest I go to stay out of the area?  Any AirBnB you know of in the Cali region, near a golf course maybe? 

Now I'm not in the habit if taking advice but giving advice? Certainly.  I do know of a GREAT AirBnB on a golf course.  Unfortunately it's about 150 degrees there that time of year.  

4 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Now I'm not in the habit if taking advice but giving advice? Certainly.  I do know of a GREAT AirBnB on a golf course.  Unfortunately it's about 150 degrees there that time of year.  

But is it a dry heat, and not this soupy humidity we get here in NY? 

On 5/21/2021 at 1:16 PM, Chef Jim said:

You should ignore my advice. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.