No man left behind. McDermott has transformed the Bills.

17 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Diggs.thumb.jpeg.3f75e9a720bd9e2e80eeae086c6afeb6.jpeg

Watching Embedded tonight they played a short clip at the beginning of the episode of Diggs standing alone out on the field after the AFC Championship game watching the Chiefs celebrate.  Then McDermott was there with Diggs and they stood there for a moment watching together, hugged, and McDermott walked him back into the Bills locker room to be with the rest of his teammates.

Watching that moment again it struck me what a great leader Sean McDermott is.  After the game in the visitor's locker room at Arrowhead, I'm sure McDermott was just as devastated as anyone.  He had just lost the biggest game of his career, but instead of being absorbed in his own emotions and feelings, he continued to lead that team.  He discovered that Diggs was still out on the field and he went back out there to be with one of his guys who was enduring the loss on his own.  No man left behind.  It was a moment that perfectly demonstrated McDermott's ethos of "service leadership", and it's why the players in that Bills' locker room play so hard for him and for each other.

It was a moment that I think defines who Sean McDermott is and what he is all about.

The future of this entire franchise changed the day that Kim and Terry Pegula hired McDermott to be the next head coach of the Buffalo Bills.  McDermott came in with a vision of how he was going to build his football team and he jolted this franchise out of a twenty year funk.  I had no idea who Sean McDermott was when he was hired, and to be honest, I didn't have a lot of expectations that he would be the one to finally turn this franchise around.  In retrospect, it's easy to see now that he was an inspired choice.

When i read that McDermott took notes on himself and reviewed himself daily on how he could improve, i knew he was the guy.

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

It has been a true team effort with McDermott and Beane leading.  Josh has played a key, critical role.  But so did Lorenzo Alexander, Meatball, Tre White, Matt Milano, Hyde and Poyer, Diggs and Beas, John Brown and The Schnowman.  Great team character, among one and all.  Once you build that, it becomes self-reinforcing.  

Thanks for this. It always amazes me how fans that love to preach 'team', always seem to single out individuals for blame or credit in a team environment.

I'm a manager at my day job. I take leadership very seriously, and it is very difficult to do well. I look to McDermott as someone who does it right. He leads from the front. He's there for his people both personally and professionally. His message is consistent. He treats everyone the same. He preaches love of your fellow teammate. 

You have no idea how hard all that stuff is to do, but I guarantee you've all had bad managers who either couldn't pull it off, or didn't even try.

Cheers to McD.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

He fell for one of the classic blunders: Never enter a land war in Asia.

A little less known is never get involved with a Sicilian when death is on the line...

INCONCEIVABLE!

All kidding aside as I can’t pass up on a princess bride reference, but McD is sharp.  As many have mentioned, I’ve managed as well for a decade, and very happy for those 10 years.  His comment on Servant Leadership is from a book and philosophy that works.  Hire the right people which is always a challenge, train well, and have an attention to detail like Wooden in Good to Great (fantastic leadership book that transcends sports), and then remove obstacles, support, and serve you’re team so they can be the best version of them (I know poor grammar and syntax).

I love McBeane as I blend those two together like the Borg.  They seem to have a hive mind.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Please take it from someone who works in professional sports and has endured a regime change. I’ve watched this all unfold over the last year and a half where I am. Perfectly good coaches and staff, some of my very good friends were let go because THEY were being difficult and making things harder on the new group who came in. That’s on them… not the people in charge. 

It is harder than most fans imagine. Culture change is hard. I did it as a semi-pro soccer coach and I fired a really good assistant coach after about a month of being there. It wasn't even that he was making things difficult and it certainly wasn't because he was bad at the job... but he just wasn't aligned personality wise to what I wanted. He had been there through some failure and had got to point where he made excuses for failure. I wanted to rid the place of exactly that acceptance of being bad. I needed to create a culture where winning was the expectation and I couldn't do it with him there in my view. Was a horrible decision to reach because he was a good guy doing a good job but it was the right call.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/21/2021 at 10:40 AM, BillsMafi$ said:

Josh Allen had actually transformed the Bills 

The 1st thing I thought of reading the OP was a coach is only as good as his QB.  The whole Bills organization did a great job in 2018 in evaluating the QB class & then making bold enough moves to move from 21 to 7 to get Allen.  Imagine if Buddy Nix was still here and didn't want to move way up.  What might have happened was Arizona, who wanted Allen, would have moved/stayed ahead of us for Josh Allen & Nix would have been happy that Josh Rosen fell into his lap.  Then no matter who the coach was, within 2 years the Bills would, as WGR used to announce every 2 years, be on another "Coach Search".