No man left behind. McDermott has transformed the Bills.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Sorry to sour the milk. Beane's team was solid from beginning but Coach McD's team was not.

Coach McD's hires on offense side were very weak and since he did not have experience on offense side of ball he needed his OC to recommend game plans and additional coaches on offense side of the ball.  He dumped good coaches due to them coaching for Rex.

He also dumped all of the scouts.   IMO this does not fit into his mantra about "being the best you can be" unless it is "being the best you can be if we hire you".

Take heart, sad fellow. Nobody shares your bizarre take, so the sour milk is rightly poured over your head..

🤦‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, sirebors said:

quote-if-you-build-an-army-of-100-lions-and-their-leader-is-a-dog-in-any-fight-the-lions-will-napoleon-bonaparte-105-94-98.jpg

Bears and dogs, huh?  

Napoleon is the biggest RAT in history; look into the way he completely turned his back on his own men before and during the retreat out of Russia.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Sorry to sour the milk. Beane's team was solid from beginning but Coach McD's team was not.

Coach McD's hires on offense side were very weak and since he did not have experience on offense side of ball he needed his OC to recommend game plans and additional coaches on offense side of the ball.  He dumped good coaches due to them coaching for Rex.

He also dumped all of the scouts.   IMO this does not fit into his mantra about "being the best you can be" unless it is "being the best you can be if we hire you".

The response above and add in culture change. The culture at OBD was so toxic for so long that it required truly dumping everyone who were stuck in the garbage that was the drought. 

It needed to change rapidly and McD got it done. 

• Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

In fairness after Hue and Freddie I do think the Browns got it right last year. Think Stefanski is a good coach. Obviously he needs to back it up and I am not suggesting he even gets close to making up for passing on McD at this stage but I do think he is a decent football coach and was a good hire for them. 

The Haslams screwed up the McDermott/Jackson decision.  Depodesta and the rest of the Browns brass voted unanimously to hire McDermott, but the Haslams ignored them all and went with Jackson.  Then Depodesta wanted Stefanski two years ago and the Haslams went with Kitchens instead.  Finally they listened to him and hired Stefanski and Berry (GM) a year ago - though Saleh was a close second.  Stepping aside and letting Depo do his job was easily the best decision they’ve made since buying the Browns.

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

You have to get it right immediately? 

They post you commented on says “They seemed to have hired a tremendous supporting cast.” Nobody said that he “hired a tremendous supporting cast from the get go.” 

He also dumped some of the scouts… not all of the scouts. Likely the ones who didn’t seem fully bought in to the new regime change. It’s common… you have people that push back because it’s not what they’re used to or they think they’re a goner so they become difficult to work with. Without buy-in and people pulling towards a common goal your screwed… McDermott held on to plenty of people in the organization… a majority of those were probably those who showed they were bought in. 

Please take it from someone who works in professional sports and has endured a regime change. I’ve watched this all unfold over the last year and a half where I am. Perfectly good coaches and staff, some of my very good friends were let go because THEY were being difficult and making things harder on the new group who came in. That’s on them… not the people in charge. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

WHAT! 

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Regardless of any of that, and it’s obvious lack of context,  McDermott made the playoffs in his first year... 

clearly he knew what he was up to, 

nuthin but luv..., 👍

14 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Diggs.thumb.jpeg.3f75e9a720bd9e2e80eeae086c6afeb6.jpeg

Watching Embedded tonight they played a short clip at the beginning of the episode of Diggs standing alone out on the field after the AFC Championship game watching the Chiefs celebrate.  Then McDermott was there with Diggs and they stood there for a moment watching together, hugged, and McDermott walked him back into the Bills locker room to be with the rest of his teammates.

Watching that moment again it struck me what a great leader Sean McDermott is.  After the game in the visitor's locker room at Arrowhead, I'm sure McDermott was just as devastated as anyone.  He had just lost the biggest game of his career, but instead of being absorbed in his own emotions and feelings, he continued to lead that team.  He discovered that Diggs was still out on the field and he went back out there to be with one of his guys who was enduring the loss on his own.  No man left behind.  It was a moment that perfectly demonstrated McDermott's ethos of "service leadership", and it's why the players in that Bills' locker room play so hard for him and for each other.

It was a moment that I think defines who Sean McDermott is and what he is all about.

The future of this entire franchise changed the day that Kim and Terry Pegula hired McDermott to be the next head coach of the Buffalo Bills.  McDermott came in with a vision of how he was going to build his football team and he jolted this franchise out of a twenty year funk.  I had no idea who Sean McDermott was when he was hired, and to be honest, I didn't have a lot of expectations that he would be the one to finally turn this franchise around.  In retrospect, it's easy to see now that he was an inspired choice.

The bills caught lightning in a bottle TWICE w/ both Josh Allen and McDermott. Sometimes I have to pinch myself to remind me that I'm not dreaming. 😅 Unfortunately, I was a toddler during the Superbowl years so I never got to experience them. I started as a die hard Bills fan @ the onset of the drought so all I knew was misery. The silver lining of all of this is that I do not take their success for granted @ all. I soak in all of the joy of each and every win. No matter how up & down life can be sometimes at least we have consistency and greatness at One Bills Drive. God Bless Buffalo! ✝️🕯️🙏

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Diggs.thumb.jpeg.3f75e9a720bd9e2e80eeae086c6afeb6.jpeg

Watching Embedded tonight they played a short clip at the beginning of the episode of Diggs standing alone out on the field after the AFC Championship game watching the Chiefs celebrate.  Then McDermott was there with Diggs and they stood there for a moment watching together, hugged, and McDermott walked him back into the Bills locker room to be with the rest of his teammates.

Watching that moment again it struck me what a great leader Sean McDermott is.  After the game in the visitor's locker room at Arrowhead, I'm sure McDermott was just as devastated as anyone.  He had just lost the biggest game of his career, but instead of being absorbed in his own emotions and feelings, he continued to lead that team.  He discovered that Diggs was still out on the field and he went back out there to be with one of his guys who was enduring the loss on his own.  No man left behind.  It was a moment that perfectly demonstrated McDermott's ethos of "service leadership", and it's why the players in that Bills' locker room play so hard for him and for each other.

It was a moment that I think defines who Sean McDermott is and what he is all about.

The future of this entire franchise changed the day that Kim and Terry Pegula hired McDermott to be the next head coach of the Buffalo Bills.  McDermott came in with a vision of how he was going to build his football team and he jolted this franchise out of a twenty year funk.  I had no idea who Sean McDermott was when he was hired, and to be honest, I didn't have a lot of expectations that he would be the one to finally turn this franchise around.  In retrospect, it's easy to see now that he was an inspired choice.

Thanks op for the post

I think some people on this board really 

Missed the message of your post, mcd was not going to let Diggs be alone any more so he went out there to be with him

• Agree 1

Hopefully they learn from the AFCG like they learned from "Hail Murray." McDermott doesn't strike me as a person that makes the same mistake twice. This was a hugely emotional loss and they are going to build from it. 3 edge rushers from the top 2 rounds this and last year is a start + the experience playing in big games. I think we will look back @ that game as the first stepping stone to the Buffalo Bills dynasty. (Yes, I'm a Homer.) 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

4 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Josh Allen had actually transformed the Bills 

It has been a true team effort with McDermott and Beane leading.  Josh has played a key, critical role.  But so did Lorenzo Alexander, Meatball, Tre White, Matt Milano, Hyde and Poyer, Diggs and Beas, John Brown and The Schnowman.  Great team character, among one and all.  Once you build that, it becomes self-reinforcing.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

Thanks for mentioning the "Embedded" video OP.  I watched it earlier this afternoon and recommend it for those who haven't seen it yet.  I was struck by two things:

1.  how psyched Beane, Shein, and McDermott were they were able to grab Basham and

2.  the clip where everyone was goofing around in the draft room eating treats that Kim Pegula made.  She sees McDermott on the side of the room and asks him if he is eating ice cream.  With not a trace of humor he says, "no, Raisin Bran."  They then show Beane who laughs and says "I try to get Sean to live 2 days a year."  The man is all business.

Edited by Haslett_Stomp
  • Like (+1) 1