No man left behind. McDermott has transformed the Bills.

He's an excellent coach, he and Beane make a great combo and it seems like they've hired a tremendous supporting cast. It's exciting to see the Bills as a perennial Super Bowl contender.

I have nothing negative to say about them.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 3

So I do not have the greatest history of wanting the right person as Bills Head Coach. In 2010 and 2013 I was in favour of re-treads with a track record who would not be phased by the size of the task here. In 2010 I wanted Mike Shanahan and in 2013 I wanted Lovie Smith. In 2015 I just wanted an offensive guy who would retain Schwartz and leave the defense intact.... Hue Jackson (worryingly) was my first choice back then. But after Rex's first season when he took one of the most talented Bills teams in 15 years to an 8-8 record (after being 6-8 as well remember) I said we should fire him and hire Sean McDermott. I had always been a fan of his defenses but I saw him do a press conference when he was the DC in Carolina and thought he came across as a guy with the methodical and consistent approach that was required and wouldn't get blown off course by the winds of circumstance. And then the final piece was hear Keuchly and Davis wax lyrical about him on a sit down interview with the NFLN game day morning folks. I was sold that he was the guy Buffalo needed. I had to wait a year to get my wish, but thankfully in the meantime Cleveland passed on him and the rest is history. I suspect there is yet more history to come. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Although it was a tough loss and entire team/staff was disappointed and was going to be for a while, that particular moment was powerful and most certainly speaks volumes about coach MCD and how he respects this team.

Yeah, that moment did happen to make a tough loss a little easier seeing that.

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Sorry to sour the milk. Beane's team was solid from beginning but Coach McD's team was not.

Coach McD's hires on offense side were very weak and since he did not have experience on offense side of ball he needed his OC to recommend game plans and additional coaches on offense side of the ball.  He dumped good coaches due to them coaching for Rex.

He also dumped all of the scouts.   IMO this does not fit into his mantra about "being the best you can be" unless it is "being the best you can be if we hire you".

Which good coaches did he fire on the offensive side because they worked for Rex? Aaron Kromer, I'd concede. Replacing him with Juan Castillo was a significant downgrade and was partly a new Head Coach going with a guy he knew and trusted. But the rest? David Lee? Out of the league. Sanjay Lal? Been fired twice since leaving Buffalo. Tony Sparano Jnr? Hasn't even had a position coach job since leaving his role as our tight ends coach. 

In McDermott's first offensive staff he hired one guy who is now a Head Coach in this league, he hired one of the most respected tight end coaches in the NFL and he hired Chad Hall as an assistant wide receivers coach who has now progressed to wide receivers coach and is one of the hot up and coming position coaches in the league. He had to make do with his 3rd choice OC his first year, although in fairness he was better than his first choice - the hapless Mike McCoy - and it is fair to say the offensive staff has been significantly upgraded since that first year. But it is pretty normal for first time Head Coaches not to have their pick of the litter when it comes to building that first staff. All thing being equal coaches will seek a situation where they see more established stability. The Bills can now benefit from that. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Sorry to sour the milk. Beane's team was solid from beginning but Coach McD's team was not.

Coach McD's hires on offense side were very weak and since he did not have experience on offense side of ball he needed his OC to recommend game plans and additional coaches on offense side of the ball.  He dumped good coaches due to them coaching for Rex.

He also dumped all of the scouts.   IMO this does not fit into his mantra about "being the best you can be" unless it is "being the best you can be if we hire you".

You are whining because McDermott fired Rex's coaches and didn't fully assemble his current staff in his first year?!?!?

And you are of the opinion that the Bills he inherited from Whaley/Rex didn't need a scouting/front office housecleaning? lol

In case you haven't payed any attention to how the NFL works, newly hired head coaches regularly assemble their own staff of assistants, and rarely keep guys from the previous regime (and if they do, it rarely lasts for more than a year).

17 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Thank you Browns!

In fairness after Hue and Freddie I do think the Browns got it right last year. Think Stefanski is a good coach. Obviously he needs to back it up and I am not suggesting he even gets close to making up for passing on McD at this stage but I do think he is a decent football coach and was a good hire for them. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Not my dog. 

Royal, can you please stop feeding you’re dog sausages dressed up like Tom Brady.  He called me and Scooby and needs an intervention.  

8 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Put 'em up, put 'em up!

Freddy will fight you with one hand tied behind his back, two hands behind his back, wuff.

• Awesome! (+1) 1