Kansas City Offensive Line will test the importance of continuity this year

59 minutes ago, DJB said:

Much thanks for the addition.  I think they have a bit more depth at iOL with Allegretti and Duvernay-Tardiff than tackle, but with a new Center, new LG, and potentially new RT this could definitely stress the communication that comes from reps. 

Continuity is nice being healthy is better

4 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Much thanks for the addition.  I think they have a bit more depth at iOL with Allegretti and Duvernay-Tardiff than tackle, but with a new Center, new LG, and potentially new RT this could definitely stress the communication that comes from reps. 

Could end up being a situation like Feliciano who I feel got rushed back and wasn’t completely healthy down the stretch

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

When you have smart, talented, veteran players, continuity is overrated. When you have meathead, marginal, young players, continuity is huge. As is coaching. 

Where do we fall? The Bills OL has no continuity. Many of the names are familiar, but the top 5 I assume they want starting never played a snap together last season. 

29 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Where do we fall? The Bills OL has no continuity. Many of the names are familiar, but the top 5 I assume they want starting never played a snap together last season. 

Not directed to me, but I'll answer.

Where I feel more comfortable with our lack of continuity over the Chiefs is time in the system.  Yes we haven't had our starting line up play a snap together but all our anticipated starters and most of the backups (besides the two tackle towers) have had more than a year in the offensive system.  For the Chiefs, they don't have that besides Allegretti, Remmer, and Duvarney-Tardiff.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think we fall slightly toward the smart talented side with a caveat. Our guys are mostly good pass blockers. Only Feliciano is a decent run mauler. So they were able to get quick continuity in the pass blocking scheme and it showed. But they are not individually or collectively good in the run game, so they are not good at it, continuity or not. KC has much more talented veteran guys on their line.

• Agree 1

KC grabbed two of the best O-line players on the market via trade and free agency and spent a second round pick along the O-line. They did their best to rebuild a shattered O-line (I think they also grabbed Kyle Long as a veteran depth piece.) KC will be a high octane offense again in the regular season. It is more so on the Bills to improve their D-line play to keep up.

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not sure Long is gonna win that job even if healthy. 

I was super not sold on that move as much as others in the media were.  He was retired and moving to a new position.  I wouldve bet allegretti was better let alone Duvarney-Tardiff.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I think we fall slightly toward the smart talented side with a caveat. Our guys are mostly good pass blockers. Only Feliciano is a decent run mauler. So they were able to get quick continuity in the pass blocking scheme and it showed. But they are not individually or collectively good in the run game, so they are not good at it, continuity or not. KC has much more talented veteran guys on their line.

Daboll changed to more of a zone blocking scheme during the season, which led to the jettisoning of quinton Spain. I don’t know if that caused some of the run game issues but it appears they are sticking with it based on the new personnel they brought into the OL

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Daboll changed to more of a zone blocking scheme during the season, which led to the jettisoning of quinton Spain. I don’t know if that caused some of the run game issues but it appears they are sticking with it based on the new personnel they brought into the OL

To your latter point, from Cover 1's excellent breakdown "Glaring Run Game Issues":

2020:

image.thumb.png.39f752b5e95f4999fbc033d045bb9e3e.png

In contrast, 2019 mixed it up a lot more:

image.thumb.png.8eef1f07461c97e6b0bcf0a9d7a74894.png

As far as Quinton Spain, I think he was pretty well jettisoned after the Miami game, and I don't think it had to do with a change in the run blocking. 

I'm curious though, if you could comment a bit, what do you see in the new OL personnel that leads you to say we're sticking with Zone?

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To your latter point, from Cover 1's excellent breakdown "Glaring Run Game Issues":

2020:

As far as Quinton Spain, I think he was pretty well jettisoned after the Miami game, and I don't think it had to do with a change in the run blocking. 

I'm curious though, if you could comment a bit, what do you see in the new OL personnel that leads you to say we're sticking with Zone?

Thanks!

We have done the Spain debate before but I still think whatever went on there made the line worse. 

As for why we are sticking with zone... Lamp is definitely a zone guy but I think Spencer Brown and Jack Anderson are pretty scheme versatile. Haven't watched enough Doyle to know.

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

We have done the Spain debate before but I still think whatever went on there made the line worse.

We don't get a "do-over" so  I guess we'll never know...the Bengals did re-up him, but only a 1 year "vet salary benefit" deal (vet minimum for an experienced player that counts as less against the cap), so I'm not sure they hold a similar opinion that he's the "best guard on their team".

In hindsight, cutting Spain, pushing Ford into the lineup injured, and then starting Boettger and Winters at guard unquestionably made the line worse.

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

As for why we are sticking with zone... Lamp is definitely a zone guy but I think Spencer Brown and Jack Anderson are pretty scheme versatile. Haven't watched enough Doyle to know.

Lamp is a 1 year rental along with Jamil Douglas

Trey Smith may well have been on track to win the job already.  6th round pick G.  Staff has been “blown away” by what they’ve seen so far.  He was already getting first team reps and will continue to.  Remember the name for all rookie team and quite possibly the steal of the draft. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 6/10/2021 at 5:17 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

2020:

Thanks!

He didn’t have the quick feet for the zone blocking. He was benched. Didn’t respond well. Hence, cut. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Zerovoltz said:

Trey Smith may well have been on track to win the job already.  6th round pick G.  Staff has been “blown away” by what they’ve seen so far.  He was already getting first team reps and will continue to.  Remember the name for all rookie team and quite possibly the steal of the draft. 

This pick was the most angering.  From the 3rd rd on, I was hoping that we’d pick neither Smith or Kenneth Gainwell. I’m glad Gainwell made it to the nfc, but KC getting the biggest “faller” in the draft had me pissed.   Bleh 😡 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He didn’t have the quick feet for the zone blocking. He was benched. Didn’t respond well. Hence, cut. 

I'm not doubting you, but at the same time, I had understood he was benched because he had a bad game in pass protection and they wanted to try Cody Ford at LG.

Was there something that came out at the time that indicated zone run blocking was the issue?  The Mia and LAR games, we were about 60% pass, 40% run so it would seem that pass protection needed to be the OL focus.

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not doubting you, but at the same time, I had understood he was benched because he had a bad game in pass protection and they wanted to try Cody Ford at LG.

Was there something that came out at the time that indicated zone run blocking was the issue?  The Mia and LAR games, we were about 60% pass, 40% run so it would seem that pass protection needed to be the OL focus.

It’s been discussed on multiple podcasts over the last several months, I can’t pinpoint which specifically. The gist is that the Bills were trending toward a zone blocking scheme … ended up with 

117 gap , 183 zone snaps in  2020. Spain has no foot speed to block laterally on zone runs. He’s a Gap blocker 

• Agree 1