Kansas City Offensive Line will test the importance of continuity this year

On 6/10/2021 at 3:49 PM, YattaOkasan said:

I was super not sold on that move as much as others in the media were.  He was retired and moving to a new position.  I wouldve bet allegretti was better let alone Duvarney-Tardiff.

i thought of him as good depth when he signed, either way this injury doesnt hurt them unless of course more injuries on the interior start to pile up

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

This pick was the most angering.  From the 3rd rd on, I was hoping that we’d pick neither Smith or Kenneth Gainwell. I’m glad Gainwell made it to the nfc, but KC getting the biggest “faller” in the draft had me pissed.   Bleh 😡 

lol i was in the same boat, i really wanted us to draft him

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s been discussed on multiple podcasts over the last several months, I can’t pinpoint which specifically.

Well, if you run into or think of it LMK.

Like I said, I'm not doubting that you heard it.  I know it's true that zone blocking predominated on the Bills rush attempts last year. 

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The gist is that the Bills were trending toward a zone blocking scheme … ended up with 

117 gap , 183 zone snaps in  2020. Spain has no foot speed to block laterally on zone runs. He’s a Gap blocker 

I don't doubt the lack of foot speed either.

I'm just puzzled about this as a main reason to move on from Spain.  I mean, does Feliciano have the foot speed to excel in a zone scheme?  Does Cody Ford?  Boettger?  Did Winters?  The Bills run game continued (with rare game-based exceptions) to be abominable without Spain.

Add that the Bills run/pass breakdown was 2/3 pass at that point (finished 596 to 411), and it just seems like a strange driver to the change.

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, if you run into or think of it LMK.

Like I said, I'm not doubting that you heard it.  I know it's true that zone blocking predominated on the Bills rush attempts last year. 

I don't doubt the lack of foot speed either.

I'm just puzzled about this as a main reason to move on from Spain.  I mean, does Feliciano have the foot speed to excel in a zone scheme?  Does Cody Ford?  Boettger?  Did Winters?  The Bills run game continued (with rare game-based exceptions) to be abominable without Spain.

Add that the Bills run/pass breakdown was 2/3 pass at that point (finished 596 to 411), and it just seems like a strange driver to the change.

I think they moved on from him because of how he personally  handled being replaced in the starting lineup as they moved toward the new scheme. He even pulled himself out of the Titans game at the last second.  I don’t know why they re-signed him in the first place if he wasn’t a good fit but they must have made that decision at some point after that. The other guys may or may not have the foot speed but they must have had a better attitude. The new guys they brought in all fit the new scheme. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think they moved on from him because of how he personally  handled being replaced in the starting lineup as they moved toward the new scheme. He even pulled himself out of the Titans game at the last second.  I don’t know why they re-signed him in the first place if he wasn’t a good fit but they must have made that decision at some point after that.

I'm sure you're correct about why Spain was released.

At the point where Spain got pulled out of the starting lineup in favor of Ford, it was very clear that the Bills had transformed into a pass-first team, with 60% pass attempts to 40% run attempts in the Mia and LA games.  Why drive starting OL decisions by the "redheaded stepchild" of your offense?