Kansas City Offensive Line will test the importance of continuity this year

KC has done a great job of turning around their line this year, but I'm not sure were talking about how/if continuity will affect them.  I saw some chatter that it didnt help us, but Ive also heard a lot of chatter that OL is the room that benefits the most from continuity.

KC will only be returning one starter from last years line it appears (maybe 2 with Allegretti).  If continuity is something real this line may take a minute to perform up to their expectations.  

While I think they have a slight edge on us in terms of starter quality, they are perilously thin at Tackle.  They are one injury away from starting Niang (effectively a rookie) or Rankin (was not called on for SB when down 2 Tackles).  Any injury will exacerbate any continuity issues. 

Lastly, they will need to repeat this process again next year as they only have the following players under contract: Thuney, Humphrey, Allegretti, Niang.  So while they could re-sign Brown; there is a strong chance they will continue to have continuity problems again next year.

Even though KC did some great work they have a long ways to go for OL to become stable, and I feel more comfortable with Beanes approach to the draft this year.  Flame away if you think this is a hot take.

• Like (+1) 6

26 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Bills did the same thing in 2019. Only Dawkins stayed. They had 5 new players including the TE. Morse, Ford, Spain, Feliciano, and Knox were all new in 2019. 

My guess is continuity is overvalued and one of those things that is nice if you have it.

Continuity is great - equally important are talent and health.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Bills did the same thing in 2019. Only Dawkins stayed. They had 5 new players including the TE. Morse, Ford, Spain, Feliciano, and Knox were all new in 2019. 

My guess is continuity is overvalued and one of those things that is nice if you have it.

Continuity is overrated when you're talking about returning Ducasse, Bodine, Miller, and Mills, that's for sure.  Having 4 new guys learning the scheme and getting on the same page with each other could take a few weeks for the whole to equal the sum of the parts.  Heres to hoping thats the case. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

If you have a bunch of good players then they will perform well, no matter how long they've been together. Orlando Brown and Thuney were major upgrades for them. The Chiefs are the team to beat in the AFC, until they're not. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Continuity has some value, but if they have their starting 5 set and make it through a full-offseason, training camp, pre-season and get into the regular season with the same 5, they should be fine.  For the sake of the Bills, let's hope that this does not happen.

Regarding "continuity", allow me to quote an NFL owner:

“You have to have continuity,” If you keep changing things, nothing’s going to work.”

"We’re talking about continuity, and the players need that,” “Our coach needs to know that, through the good and the bad, there’s stability. The players need to know there’s stability".

The topic was stability at the very top.  Weeks later, the owner chucked that all out the window and fired the HC before the end of his 2nd season.

As a stand alone philosophy, continuity is nonsense.  Anyone can  stay pat when things are good, and unload when keeping the same low performers gets you nowhere.   

• Like (+1) 1

I mean two years ago we signed a bunch of oline guys...no continuity.

Unfortunately I think KC oline will be fine and a full camp should help. 

Edited by DJB

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Continuity is overrated when you're talking about returning Ducasse, Bodine, Miller, and Mills, that's for sure.  Having 4 new guys learning the scheme and getting on the same page with each other could take a few weeks for the whole to equal the sum of the parts.  Heres to hoping thats the case. 

A few weeks plus preseason plus training camp? For seasoned professional NFL linemen? No way. It's not like Thuney is being asked to play TE or something.

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I'll take talent over continuity anytime. If they have no talent I don't want them to come back.😝

• Thank you (+1) 1

Continuity is great, good players and good coaching may win out though.

The Chiefs have good/great coaching, thankfully the Bills do as well so we are by no means an afterthought. 

I don't believe the Chiefs will fail because if this though, week 8 they will be in SB form. Bills better bring the A game to the playoffs. 

I think when people talk of continuity it is less about signing about a bunch of new guys. They should gel well enough in camp and preseason. 

continuity on the line becomes more of an issue when you are hit with injuries in the season and you are shuffling guys all around, playing guys out of natural positions, etc. Thats when your line becomes a potential mess. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I remember fans here preaching continuity with Jauron mediocre season after mediocre season... annoyed the hell out of me. 

I remember “re-sign him early or he will be gone” lol

Thanks for the replies. So I can get on board with a lot of the talent over continuity discussion. 

any thoughts on the second two items for KC OL?  They are again not very deep at OT, and they might have to pull some UFA magic again next year to get another good line.

Long term I think it’s risky to not invest much more to the line when you are paying Mahomes so much. 

7 hours ago, DJB said:

We did have no continuity that year. And it showed early in the year. By the end of the year they really were pretty solid, though.

10 hours ago, DJB said:

If you guys remember in 2019 our five starters did not all play in unison until week 1 of the season as different injuries in preseason.  With the quality the Chiefs brought in this offseason, this is unfortunately going to be a strength and Mahomes will cover up the rest.

Relative importance to successful execution
Higher ---- -----------------> Lower
Availability talent scheme continuity player continuity

I'd rank them in that order. Mostly because as you go back up from right (lower importance) to left (higher importance) the lower import factor doesn't matter if the higher import matter doesn't exist.

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Regarding "continuity", allow me to quote an NFL owner:

“You have to have continuity,” If you keep changing things, nothing’s going to work.”

"We’re talking about continuity, and the players need that,” “Our coach needs to know that, through the good and the bad, there’s stability. The players need to know there’s stability".

I presume that's Christopher Johnson describing the situation at the NYJ.

Now just add "It's the fiscally responsible thing to do." and it's Ralph. 😁

• Haha (+1) 1