"Why Tyrod Taylor is the right QB to get the Texans through a season without Deshaun Watson" -- Article Excerpt & My Commentary [Bills Related]

44 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

For the Texans, he makes a lot of sense.  He will keep things moving, not make a lot of mistakes, but won’t take risks.  If they figure out this recent stuff of settlements, Watson might make it after week 8, or never. If he does make it past this endeavor, and the Texans quietly support him behind closed doors, he might do a 180 on playing for the Texans.

If they are on a rebuild and he does ok, then he’s playing for a future backup role which he is well suited for in the NFL.  His pipe dream of a starter is gone, but he can still roll another 8 years as a backup and make a nice living for his playing career retirement.

They just started one of their many specials on MTC, and this one is an eight day deal evaluating the QB room.  So far in two days they’ve done the AFCE and AFCN.  Now of these teams Allen rated the highest as an 8-10 for starters, and their backup can go up to a score of 0-6, whereas their developmental guy is 0-4.  As a group so far the only team in the running for their top 10 or 5 list is the Bills as they scored a combined 15.  My point was simply having Mitch places the Bills QB room better than most.  Fromm received a 2 of 4 as they didn’t see him last year and they pick who is the most likely developmental guy of Fromm over Webb.

As it pertains to Tyrod is he would be a great #2 wherever for the next 8 years.  If he starts for a bad team, does reasonably well say 4-13 to 5-12 and that’s a stretch, then he’s good for a long time bouncing around making $2-4 mil./yr. for the following seven to eight years.

I listened to much of MTC yesterday but missed the Bills talk. I did hear Pat K say Josh, Ben R, and I can't remember who else were the only 8s so far. I was curious about the rest of the QB room, seems you're saying Mitch is a 5 which seems fair. I was disappointed they didn't have Josh a 9, what was the reasoning?

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

For the Texans, he makes a lot of sense.  He will keep things moving, not make a lot of mistakes, but won’t take risks.  If they figure out this recent stuff of settlements, Watson might make it after week 8, or never. If he does make it past this endeavor, and the Texans quietly support him behind closed doors, he might do a 180 on playing for the Texans.

If they are on a rebuild and he does ok, then he’s playing for a future backup role which he is well suited for in the NFL.  His pipe dream of a starter is gone, but he can still roll another 8 years as a backup and make a nice living for his playing career retirement.

They just started one of their many specials on MTC, and this one is an eight day deal evaluating the QB room.  So far in two days they’ve done the AFCE and AFCN.  Now of these teams Allen rated the highest as an 8-10 for starters, and their backup can go up to a score of 0-6, whereas their developmental guy is 0-4.  As a group so far the only team in the running for their top 10 or 5 list is the Bills as they scored a combined 15.  My point was simply having Mitch places the Bills QB room better than most.  Fromm received a 2 of 4 as they didn’t see him last year and they pick who is the most likely developmental guy of Fromm over Webb.

As it pertains to Tyrod is he would be a great #2 wherever for the next 8 years.  If he starts for a bad team, does reasonably well say 4-13 to 5-12 and that’s a stretch, then he’s good for a long time bouncing around making $2-4 mil./yr. for the following seven to eight years.

Now that's one thing that can be said about him that's positive. He hardly ever makes mistakes and doesn't turn the ball over. 

20 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Now that's one thing that can be said about him that's positive. He hardly ever makes mistakes and doesn't turn the ball over. 

To me Tyrod Taylor is a serviceable QB in the lines of a Trent Dilfer. Given the right circumstances and top 5 Defense backing him set goals can be accomplished IMO. As proven when T Mobile helped carry the Bills to its 1st playoff appearence in two decades.

I've since become a big fan of Bills young GM Brandon Beane. Still to this day I question the Sammy Watkins trade after Taylor and Watkins spent the entire off season working on chemistry to help Buffalo become a playoff contender. Both careers were sabotaged by this move in the beginning of the process in my humble opinion. 

The little engine that could is how I view Tyrod Taylor.

The little engine that could...

• Agree 1

I always though that Tyrod was a great guy and will always be grateful that he led us to our 1st playoff appearance in 16 years but it was painfully obvious in that Jags playoff game that he hit his ceiling as the QB for the Buffalo Bills and that left me frustrated and sad. With that being said it i so happy we got Allen and wish nothing but the best for Tyrod (except in the week we play the Texans of course)

On 5/22/2021 at 11:00 AM, Figster said:

The little engine that could is how I view Tyrod Taylor.

The little engine that could...

Haha, I'm guessing by your avatar you're still a fan?

But I definitely agree with your sentiments.  Tyrod wasn't a guy picked in the first round expected to kill it in the NFL or even in the first five rounds. He was a 6th round pick.  Even him winning the Bills starting position was kind of an uphill battle if I remember right.  I mean he was a backup in Baltimore for 4 years prior.  

I think a good amount of Bills fans and I include myself here love these kinds of stories.  Especially when I saw all the early explosive running abilities he had.  But  similarly to Fitz because fans love these kinds of stories we sometimes make these guys more than they really are and become frustrated rather easily.  Well maybe I'm only speaking for myself there?

Regardless I think Fitz and Tyrod did all right for themselves career wise.  Solid guys/professional attitude/good bridge QB's.  I think they are very similar in that regard.  

Edited by Another Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Tyrod Taylor's certainly a better QB than u are a poster 💀

How do you justify paying TuhROD anything above minimum wage to be the QB of an NFL team?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Tyrod Taylor's certainly a better QB than u are a poster 💀

He’s terrible.     Lmao @ you still mad because you can’t grasp the point that the Pats never win anything without Tom Brady.  

get over it.    

Tyrod is a joke who couldn’t win a game with a plus 5 turnover differential.    He is indeed terrible.   

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Haha, I'm guessing by your avatar you're still a fan?

But I definitely agree with your sentiments.  Tyrod wasn't a guy picked in the first round expected to kill it in the NFL or even in the first five rounds. He was a 6th round pick.  Even him winning the Bills starting position was kind of an uphill battle if I remember right.  I mean he was a backup in Baltimore for 4 years prior.  

I think a good amount of Bills fans and I include myself here love these kinds of stories.  Especially when I saw all the early explosive running abilities he had.  But  similarly to Fitz because fans love these kinds of stories we sometimes make these guys more than they really are and become frustrated rather easily.  Well maybe I'm only speaking for myself there?

Regardless I think Fitz and Tyrod did all right for themselves career wise.  Solid guys/professional attitude/good bridge QB's.  I think they are very similar in that regard.  

We do love these kind of stories. Fitz is a bit easier to love because the guys got the biggest balls and brains in the league. As underdogs for years and years, Bills fans can relate.

Josh Allen/ the big engine that can and will, along with the McBeane regime, has since changed our mind set. Changed the culture. Bills fans are expecting to win and we want it all.

Yes, big fan of Tyrod Taylor. On the other hand I have never been so hooked and mesmerised by a sports athlete in my life then I am of Josh Allen. When Allen brings home the Lombardi trophy my avatar gets changed. You can count on it. ;  )

Thanks for the reply.

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Gugny said:

How do you justify paying TuhROD anything above minimum wage to be the QB of an NFL team?

That sure is a lot of hate for a guy that was a key part of breaking the playoff drought. And where did I say anything about Tyrod being a starting QB and how much he should get paid? And just to entertain your comment, u honestly think he isn't worth more than the vet minimum as a backup? High end backup QBs make anywhere from 5-10 million a year. Even 3rd string guys average a million, freaking Blaine Gabbert made 2 mill last year and you think TT is worth less than him? 

A team like the Cowboys would've killed to have a guy like Tyrod Taylor in there when Prescott went down to manage the offense. Nobody said he was a great QB, but he's a valuable backup that doesn't turn the ball over and adds a dimension to the offense w/ elite scrambling ability. What a stupid comment. Of course u won't use things like facts or common sense to prove me wrong other than "Tuhrod sucks blah blah blah." No, he isn't a starter, but he wouldn't constantly be in the market as a valuable bridge QB if he sucked. 

• Vomit 1

1 minute ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

That sure is a lot of hate for a guy that was a key part of breaking the playoff drought. And where did I say anything about Tyrod being a starting QB and how much he should get paid? And just to entertain your comment, u honestly think he isn't worth more than the vet minimum as a backup? High end backup QBs make anywhere from 5-10 million a year. Even 3rd string guys average a million, freaking Blaine Gabbert made 2 mill last year and you think TT is worth less than him? 

A team like the Cowboys would've killed to have a guy like Tyrod Taylor in there when Prescott went down to manage the offense. Nobody said he was a great QB, but he's a valuable backup that doesn't turn the ball over and adds a dimension to the offense w/ elite scrambling ability. What a stupid comment. Of course u won't use things like facts or common sense to prove me wrong other than "Tuhrod sucks blah blah blah." No, he isn't a starter, but he wouldn't constantly be in the market as a valuable bridge QB if he sucked. 

I'm very sorry if I've upset you.  It is my opinion that he was horrible starter, then he turned into a horrible bridge.  He is a horrible QB.  His stats will not back this up, because of his "safe" play.   

Remember when they "unleashed" him?  Disaster.  He's been a disaster everywhere he's actually taken the field.

The fact that he is still finding work only means one thing.  The league lacks QB talent.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm very sorry if I've upset you.  It is my opinion that he was horrible starter, then he turned into a horrible bridge.  He is a horrible QB.  His stats will not back this up, because of his "safe" play.   

Remember when they "unleashed" him?  Disaster.  He's been a disaster everywhere he's actually taken the field.

The fact that he is still finding work only means one thing.  The league lacks QB talent.

For him to be horrible and make the playoffs means you believe he was the guy holding the team back. Outside of Shady that Offense was below average and the defense was good but not world beaters. He was mediocre but knew how not to lose a game, which has legitimate value.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

And yet teams in transition keep signing him every single year. They trust him enough to hold the fort down until their guy is ready. The guys started like 3 games since he left Buffalo so that's hardly big enough of a sample size. Maybe our opinions differ on what "terrible" is. Terrible for me is Nate Peterman, EJ Manuel, Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, etc. Taylor is a low-end starter/high-end backup material. Bottom line being you could do a hell of a lot worse. 

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

For him to be horrible and make the playoffs means you believe he was the guy holding the team back. Outside of Shady that Offense was below average and the defense was good but not world beaters. He was mediocre but knew how not to lose a game, which has legitimate value.

5 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

And yet teams in transition keep signing him every single year. They trust him enough to hold the fort down until their guy is ready. The guys started like 3 games since he left Buffalo so that's hardly big enough of a sample size. Maybe our opinions differ on what "terrible" is. Terrible for me is Nate Peterman, EJ Manuel, Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, etc. Taylor is a low-end starter/high-end backup material. Bottom line being you could do a hell of a lot worse. 

Try to remember watching Bills games during the dreaded TuhROD era.  Can you honestly say watching those games was enjoyable?

All I remember from that death stretch was screaming, "THROW THE GODDAMN BALL!!!!" about a billion times every Sunday between 1pm-4pm.  It was horrible.  

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Try to remember watching Bills games during the dreaded TuhROD era.  Can you honestly say watching those games was enjoyable?

All I remember from that death stretch was screaming, "THROW THE GODDAMN BALL!!!!" about a billion times every Sunday between 1pm-4pm.  It was horrible.  

Compared to the guys in there before him (minus Orton) he was a breath of fresh air in the beginning and his ability to extend plays was exciting. Bills fans worth their salt knew he wasn't the long term answer from the beginning. I will always defend the guy because he helped end the drought and he seems like a good classy dude. Yes, I'll agree that he was frustrating. Putting up 3 points in a very winnable playoff game where the defense layed it all on the line was painful. He played it way too safe, but he also didn't fumble or throw interceptions much so u have to take the good w/ the bad. 

4 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Compared to the guys in there before him (minus Orton) he was a breath of fresh air in the beginning and his ability to extend plays was exciting. Bills fans worth their salt knew he wasn't the long term answer from the beginning. I will always defend the guy because he helped end the drought and he seems like a good classy dude. Yes, I'll agree that he was frustrating. Putting up 3 points in a very winnable playoff game where the defense layed it all on the line was painful. He played it way too safe, but he also didn't fumble or throw interceptions much so u have to take the good w/ the bad. 

lmao @ “the good”. 

It was all bad.    He’s terrible 

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Finally someone who understands. Anybody who suffered through the Nate Peterman era knows how valuable that is.

Instead of disliking every post I make w/ your stupid little puke emojis why don't u write something halfway intelligent instead of "so and so SUCKS, this guy is terrible, etc etc etc." You're all hyperbole and no substance, bro. That's my problem w/ u @Teddy KGB the moment u said Bellichick can't coach made u ignorant in my eyes. You probably only watched Bills games your whole life anyway 

9 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

lmao @ “the good”. 

It was all bad.    He’s terrible 

Lol case in point.