"Why Tyrod Taylor is the right QB to get the Texans through a season without Deshaun Watson" -- Article Excerpt & My Commentary [Bills Related]

[I searched, but found no topic for this. Please delete or merge if there is one.]

https://theathletic.com/2594671/2021/05/18/why-tyrod-taylor-is-the-right-qb-to-get-the-texans-through-a-season-without-deshaun-watson/

This is behind a paywalll and from two days ago, but I posted some of the Buffalo-related portion below, at the end, with quotes from Doug Whaley, Richie Incognito, Lorenzo Alexander, and Anthony Lynn. 

What the article came down to [in my own words] is that Taylor has been replaced by a rookie QB the last three team he has played for (Nate Peterman, Baker Mayfield, Justin Herbert); and is used to it, handling it professionally, without making waves. He prefers not to talk when things get uncomfortable. And Houston preferred Taylor to other options like Andy Dalton and Ryan Fitzpatrick because of his ability to extend plays, which they say is key when the OL has no established starters and the receivers are "mediocre". Houston also liked him because he also worked with their quarterbacks coach, Pep Hamilton, while with the Chargers; and head coach David Culley during Taylor’s final season in Buffalo (the then Bills’ quarterbacks coach), so Culley saw up close how Taylor handled the benching.

A few paragraphs of the Buffalo-related portion:

"In Week 11 of the 2017 season, when Buffalo benched Taylor for fifth-round rookie quarterback Nathan Peterman, Taylor said he was “obviously disappointed” but had to move forward. “I got voted captain for a reason,” he told reporters. “Guys are going to look to me to see how I respond.”

After Peterman threw five interceptions that week, Taylor returned to the starting role and ignored potential awkwardness. According to teammates, Taylor didn’t address the locker room or bemoan that the Bills were never committed to him, having also benched him for a game during the previous season, under another front office, to avoid triggering an injury guarantee in a contract extension he signed earlier that year.

“There were a lot of grumblings on the team, but Tyrod stayed consistent,” said Richie Incognito, a Bills offensive lineman at the time. And by consistent, Incognito meant consistently mild-mannered to the point that “when Tyrod would yell to get lined up, you’re like, ‘Oh, he means it.’”

Buffalo went on to clinch its first playoff berth in 18 years during that 2017 season. Lorenzo Alexander, who played 13 NFL seasons as an outside linebacker, credits Taylor’s attitude after being benched for Peterman — or lack thereof — for the success.

“That can tear a team apart,” Alexander said, adding it can lead players to “choose sides and not be as productive during the week. … Him playing it down in a lot of ways and it not being as big of a deal as it was to him personally, it allowed us to take our time, go back to him and find our way into the playoffs.”

[...]

[Anthony Lynn, Taylor's head coach in San Diego, and who once was his offensive coordinator in Buffalo:] “My respect meter has gone up a lot for Tyrod Taylor because that was the hardest conversation I’ve ever had to have with a player since I’ve been in this league, the way he lost his job,” Lynn said toward the end of last season. “And the way he’s handled this situation with Justin, and how he’s come to work every day and prepares, there’s a reason that every man on this team voted him for team captain.”

Former Bills general manager Doug Whaley, who benched Taylor in 2016 to avoid triggering that injury guarantee in the QB’s contract, said Taylor is entering “that Ryan Fitzpatrick mold, that veteran you have around that’s always going to be professional and be that bridge.” Whaley characterized this Texans season as “a unique opportunity” for a quarterback who “can compartmentalize, This is my team as long as I’m under center. This is a chance for me to audition for my next team, or even audition for this team.”

[...]

In 10 NFL seasons, Taylor has established a reputation for being an average passer who struggles to read the middle of the field but rarely turns the ball over, which can be both a positive and a sign of overly conservative play. Next Gen Stats began tracking the percentage of quarterbacks’ throws into tight windows in 2016, and Taylor ranked near the bottom of the league in such throws each of his final two seasons in Buffalo. During three years as the Bills’ primary starter, only 6.4 percent of Taylor’s throws traveled more than 20 yards downfield, according to Sportradar. For reference, those throws have made up 13.6 percent of Watson’s career pass attempts.

[...]

“This is the best guy who could come into this [the Houston] situation,” Alexander said. “Just like a great safety can cover up a cornerback who is not good, Tyrod will cover up a lot of the bad exposure down there in Houston because of who he is as a person.”

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Paying Tyrod to play QB seems like a waste of money.  

Agreed, Tyrod is limited, but I wonder if other options like Dalton or Fitzpatrick would have even signed. I don't think the Watson controversy had become public when those two signed with Chicago and Washington, respectively. Maybe Mariota would have been interested, but I guess they liked Tyrod for other intangibles, like familiarity with the coaches and how he handles negative situations.

Edited by chongli

• chongli changed the title to "Why Tyrod Taylor is the right QB to get the Texans through a season without Deshaun Watson" -- Article Excerpt & My Commentary [Bills Related]

Texans’ 1st draft pick Davis Mills, has to like the historical trend lines here…and frankly, will just have to master the playbook and make some remotely field stretching throws to his WRs in order to get his own shot in Houston, imho. While I don’t see any real competition for Tyrod in camp, we will probably be looking at job security related benching decisions by the coaches mid-seasonish? 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

Temperamentally, Tyrod has always been solid. But he's a band-aid over a team's gaping wound at QB. Something more permanent is going to be needed soon.

Agree. Tyrod is a consummate professional. I have nothing but respect for how he handled everything in Buffalo.

Too bad you can't put his 'big picture' attitude in some of these other players around the league that have more ability and a 10 cent head.

His low key energy helps in locker rooms that are in flux. But it also prevents him from taking the risks he has to take from time to time as a QB.

Ironically, he has a nice arm. Dropped some dimes to Watkins and Woods in the day, but was always too afraid to throw the darned ball and cause an INT.

He is a good bridge QB. Hoping he gets a late career opportunity like Gannon, Wilson and others have had and let's it rip.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

Agree. Tyrod is a consummate professional. I have nothing but respect for how he handled everything in Buffalo.

Too bad you can't put his 'big picture' attitude in some of these other players around the league that have more ability and a 10 cent head.

His low key energy helps in locker rooms that are in flux. But it also prevents him from taking the risks he has to take from time to time as a QB.

Ironically, he has a nice arm. Dropped some dimes to Watkins and Woods in the day, but was always too afraid to throw the darned ball and cause an INT.

He is a good bridge QB. Hoping he gets a late career opportunity like Gannon, Wilson and others have had and let's it rip.

Good post. I think everyone respects Tyrod. But who is Wilson? Russell Wilson? He started for Seattle in his rookie year in 2012.

Edited by chongli

12 minutes ago, wppete said:

Watson never playing football again. Houston is in major trouble if Tyrod is their starting QB. I feel rookie Davis Mills will end up being the starter. 

Never is an awfully long time. I think you underestimate the greed, and overestimate the moral compass of 32 billionaires. Very soon, when the headlines have died down, there will be a bidding war for his services.

• Vomit 1

he was benched for peterman. that in itself should speak volumes about his below mediocre "back up" career. he was never the answer, here, san diego and now he wont be in houston.

that is, if he even takes a snap as the starter. 

never was a fan of the kid.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

15 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

he was benched for peterman. that in itself should speak volumes about his below mediocre "back up" career. he was never the answer, here, san diego and now he wont be in houston.

that is, if he even takes a snap as the starter. 

never was a fan of the kid.

He was benched due to incompetent OC who wanted to try to get bad offense plan to work and the mad scientist's experiment failed miserably.   The OC was fired at end of year.

Plenty of bashing threads for Tyrod to post in.

• Vomit 1

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

He was benched due to incompetent OC who wanted to try to get bad offense plan to work and the mad scientist's experiment failed miserably.   The OC was fired at end of year.

Plenty of bashing threads for Tyrod to post in.

Is this supposed to be a Tyrod Worship thread?

If you blame his benching on the OC, then you're a Tyrod homer.  He sucked and it's really that simple.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Correct Wade Wilson. Just throwing him Gannon, Deberg as guys who got late career opportunities to start and had a measure of success.

2 hours ago, chongli said:

Good post. I think everyone respect Tyrod. But who is Wilson? Russell Wilson? He started for Seattle in his rookie year in 2012.

Wade Wilson

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Is this supposed to be a Tyrod Worship thread?

If you blame his benching on the OC, then you're a Tyrod homer.  He sucked and it's really that simple.

C'mon.  He got us to the freaken playoffs with Charles Clay, Deonte Thompson, Zay Jones, Kelvin Benjamin and Nick O'leary as our receiving 'threats'.  McCoy and Mike Tolbert in the run game.  That's lifting Mt. Everest right there.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Dislike 1

He's a poor man's Ryan Fitzpatrick, a guy who can come in and make things interesting for a team, but not a guy you can win with.  

Ironic that the Bills had both these guys in the lineup while our quest for a real starter was underway.  But really there are a lot of equally sort-of-competent QBs out there, being paid pretty well to be available.  

• Like (+1) 1