Falcons want to trade Julio Jones, pats one of teams interested

8 hours ago, chongli said:

5 of the 6 teams are AFC and potentially playoff bound. Ugh.

I think you maybe overestimating Julio's value and potential impact at this point in his career.

51 rec. 771 yards. 3 TDs

His age, injury history, money due and potential QBs in the mix.

Newton

Wentz

Jimmy G

Tannehill

Herbert

Jackson

Who scares you from that list. Lamar could excel with someone like Julio.  Herbert has potential and Ryan T. is a game manager. The others are pedestrian at best.  They have no established chemistry whatsoever. 

IMO I don't see much concern. 

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I am in Tennessee, so a lot of my local games are Atlanta and I’ve suffered through quite a few games over the years, he plays tons of decoy snaps while injured. He pushes through but he’s hobbled almost every game and constantly is in and out of the game. He was great. Maybe the older dinged up guy is above average now but he can fall off the Father Time cliff at any moment. 

That perception that he's just a decoy when he's out there isn't reality though.    His production in the 9 games last year was on course for nearly 1400 yards.    That's elite per game production......not decoy work.   His catch rate was the highest of his career at 75%.   And he would have likely lead the NFL in yards per touch for the second straight season if he had enough touches because he had the NFL leader(Tyreek Hill) beaten by a full yard per!   

Could he fall off like AJ Green?   Maybe........but that speculation is not based on his play.......just his age.

So calling him just "above average" is a massive understatement.  

And overrated is even more absurd.    His career numbers are amazing.   As a non-fan of the Falcons perhaps you expect him to put up 150 yards per game but the guy has literally lead the NFL in yards receiving per game 3 times.   The bar might not be as high as you think it is.   If anything, he doesn't get enough credit because he is quiet and plays for a franchise that makes a habit of hiring one bad HC after the next.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, nucci said:

He doesn't want to go anywhere

He's not the one forcing the team to trade him, they just need the cap room and draft picks to get their QB of the future. Usually they allow veterans to be in contact with teams and have some say as to where they'll end up. I'm not sure whether he has any kind of no-trade clause.

27 minutes ago, Augie said:

Could be, but hoping for the Packers to keep him out of the AFC. Give Rodgers a bone, unless the Cheats* are willing to overpay and his hamstring or groin is quietly failing.....

I don’t have any confidence in any NFC team making a big move.  AFC or bust for jones imo.  Same with Rodgers.  

Outside of the 49ers, I prefer to see him go to the Patriots out of all those teams.

The Patriots are now just another team and Bill Belichick is just another coach. Watching them make silly moves in an attempt to win another one before Bill the Fraud retires will be exteremly satisfying.

Edited by Beast

Badol, I don’t always agree with you and I am sure you feel the same, but well written.  Last year was a 9 game season.  The previous 6 years were 14 (one year) and mostly 15-16 starts ranging from 1400-1871 yards per year.  He’s not some injury prone every year guy who is over the hill.

I have no idea where he can help a team and maybe he benefited from Matt Ryan who is an excellent passer and a meh running game so his stats get padded, but to say he’s meh, is a mistake.

Im no Falcons fan at all, but I respect talent.  His contract is such I doubt he’s really going anywhere.  This stuff happens every year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t have any confidence in any NFC team making a big move.  AFC or bust for jones imo.  Same with Rodgers.  

The AFC already has most of the good young QB’s. We don’t need Rodgers too! I want the NFC to pull their own weight!  😡

9 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Julio has always been a touch overrated for me. Great player and all that but the guy is injured what seems like weekly. I could see a team like Green Bay wanting him

I'm going to disagree here.  Up until last season Julio had 6 consecutive seasons of 1400+ yards receiving (one of those 6 was 1394 yards).  

Atlanta is a day late and a dollar short with this move.  Last season they should have traded both Ryan and Julio and looked toward the future. 

The franchise would have been in awesome shape.  What a shame.  Now they're "that team" that is too good for a top pick, but not nearly good enough to make the post season.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Badol, I don’t always agree with you and I am sure you feel the same, but well written.  Last year was a 9 game season.  The previous 6 years were 14 (one year) and mostly 15-16 starts ranging from 1400-1871 yards per year.  He’s not some injury prone every year guy who is over the hill.

I have no idea where he can help a team and maybe he benefited from Matt Ryan who is an excellent passer and a meh running game so his stats get padded, but to say he’s meh, is a mistake.

Im no Falcons fan at all, but I respect talent.  His contract is such I doubt he’s really going anywhere.  This stuff happens every year.

I live in Atlanta, and would be hard pressed to name a single serious Falcons fan. A lot of reasons, with a transient population at or near the top and a college focused crowd being right up there. I barely knew college football existed when I was growing up in WNY! 

That is just to point out how different each and every market is. Hard to beat the Buffalo Bills fan base! 

Edited by Augie
  • Agree 1

Augster, I know.  When I first moved to Tampa, fans were so nuts for UF, FSU, and Miami.  Now UCF, and USF have built up their programs over the years.  It almost felt like the three teams in FL were an afterthought.  The Bucs grew on people here after Dungy came and it stuck to a degree.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Augster, I know.  When I first moved to Tampa, fans were so nuts for UF, FSU, and Miami.  Now UCF, and USF have built up their programs over the years.  It almost felt like the three teams in FL were an afterthought.  The Bucs grew on people here after Dungy came and it stuck to a degree.  

I was a big fan in my Dungy days living there.

Gruden lost me, even when they were winning with Dungy’s team and scheme. Our son played a lot of 7-on-7 vs Gruden’s son at USF during the summers. If I didn’t know to dislike Gruden prior, it was confirmed during those sessions. I’m a fan of his.....like I am of Belicheat. Except the New England coach is a better coach. Gruden belongs on TV, where he’s much more talented than he is as a coach. Both seem to suck at drafting, btw. 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Augie said:

I was a big fan in my Dungy days living there.

Gruden lost me, even when they were winning with Dungy’s team and scheme. Our son played a lot of 7-on-7 vs Gruden’s son at USF during the summers. If I didn’t know to dislike Gruden prior, it was confirmed during those sessions. I’m a fan of his.....like I am of Belicheat. Except the New England coach is a better coach. Gruden belongs on TV, where he’s much more talented than he is as a coach. Both seem to suck at drafting, btw. 

That’s funny I coached against him twice in flag with my boys and his.  It was fun as my defensive coach and I beat him once at least our boys and they won once.  You can say it’s just flag, but this was a ridiculously competitive league.  All our boys played every or every other series as I’m not one of those coaches, but our parents were invested as we cared about winning, but more importantly about the boys having fun and learning the basics of football.  I can’t say the same for some other coaches if you know what I mean in the league.

14 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

That’s funny I coached against him twice in flag with my boys and his.  It was fun as my defensive coach and I beat him once at least our boys and they won once.  You can say it’s just flag, but this was a ridiculously competitive league.  All our boys played every or every other series as I’m not one of those coaches, but our parents were invested as we cared about winning, but more importantly about the boys having fun and learning the basics of football.  I can’t say the same for some other coaches if you know what I mean in the league.

This was later, in HS, like junior/senior year. My son was DB and QB. Picked of his son multiple times. I’m shocked dad didn’t have a stroke each time. 

Gruden’s son was built like a fireplug. Short and had that “enhanced” fireplug look. As thick as he was short. Not in a natural way, if ya know what I mean. Kinda laughable, like we would see at the state weightlifting championship. 

• Like (+1) 1

If they cut him after June 1 they save 16 million in cap space for 2021 but take a 15 million dollar dead cap hit in 2022.  But that's 4 million less if they kept him.  

He's getting traded.  

The contract is bad:

The Falcons trading Jones now makes the most sense as they would be saving $4 million less in 2022 and 2023, as opposed to trading Jones away in 2021. For points of notice, teams would need to have the allotted cap space of $15 million and be in need of a receiver now. With three seasons remaining on his current contract, Jones base salary would cost a team a combined $38,326,000. Only $17,300,000 million of that salary is guaranteed though.

Of course, the Falcons wouldn’t get any of those savings until after June 1, but a deal can be worked out beforehand and finalized afterwards. However, this would only be for future draft picks. Despite this, trading Jones would certainly influence where the Falcons go in the draft, and would make Kyle Pitts at No. 4 much more reasonable.

https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/26/falcons-julio-jones-nfl-news-steve-wyche/

What are the odds he gets released by the Falcons later in the offseason?

43 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

If they cut him after June 1 they save 16 million in cap space for 2021 but take a 15 million dollar dead cap hit in 2022.  But that's 4 million less if they kept him.  

He's getting traded.  

The contract is bad:

The Falcons trading Jones now makes the most sense as they would be saving $4 million less in 2022 and 2023, as opposed to trading Jones away in 2021. For points of notice, teams would need to have the allotted cap space of $15 million and be in need of a receiver now. With three seasons remaining on his current contract, Jones base salary would cost a team a combined $38,326,000. Only $17,300,000 million of that salary is guaranteed though.

Of course, the Falcons wouldn’t get any of those savings until after June 1, but a deal can be worked out beforehand and finalized afterwards. However, this would only be for future draft picks. Despite this, trading Jones would certainly influence where the Falcons go in the draft, and would make Kyle Pitts at No. 4 much more reasonable.

https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/26/falcons-julio-jones-nfl-news-steve-wyche/

I thought if they cut him after 6/1 they could split the dead cap out between this year and next year?

15 hours ago, Augie said:

I live in Atlanta, and would be hard pressed to name a single serious Falcons fan. A lot of reasons, with a transient population at or near the top and a college focused crowd being right up there. I barely knew college football existed when I was growing up in WNY! 

That is just to point out how different each and every market is. Hard to beat the Buffalo Bills fan base! 

People in the south treat college ball like we do with our Bills! I've been to the Benz several times including the Bills win in 18 😃

There is so much to do in these newer stadiums that, even though it's a sell out, it looks empty. However, I do agree Augie.... half the crowd is dressed for the opposition due to everyone being from somewhere else

I went to a Falcons-cowboys game and the guy sitting next to me had a brady jersey on. Really? I refused to shake his hand even though he offered several times out of a desire to just be a dick to him. I got issues lol