Has The Woke killed comedy?

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

There's a lot of overreaction in this thread.

That term "castrato" is funny, though. I hadn't heard that before.

Id agree that this is more about culture than it is standup specifically - but to say there’s an overreaction when top comedians vocally believe this is a problem, while pointing out that you can’t do certain comedy on college campuses, most networks and in Hollywood, seems to be a bit of an issue. 

On 5/19/2021 at 12:47 PM, Tiberius said:

Really? You mean those lynchers of black people are the same ones trying to kill hatful speech now? 

Ya, ok 

You mean Democrats?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Id agree that this is more about culture than it is standup specifically - but to say there’s an overreaction when top comedians vocally believe this is a problem, while pointing out that you can’t do certain comedy on college campuses, most networks and in Hollywood, seems to be a bit of an issue. 

Not being able to do certain comedy in certain places has always been an issue. Since the dawn of time, comedians will do the same act in two different places and get totally different reactions.

This is mostly an overreaction in response to the overreaction, if you know what I mean.

1 hour ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

i laugh at those who say they are 'woke.' its pretentious, arrogant, and shows they are easily influenced by corporations and media. in others, they are complete idiots.

c2654cf9e8cfa424db740614beaf14235c46f7d1

• Haha (+1) 2

16 hours ago, 716er said:

Republicans have all been saying they are going to delete their Twitter and move to Parler since Trump got banned, but they love to see themselves talk so much they can't quit Twitter. 

lol they canceled parler under a lie thats where 1/6 was organized when it was face book.

start your own if you dont like it!!

hey did they start their own? we can't control their speech! STOP THEM!!

Edited by Buffarukus
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Omg

shhhh.

do you hear that?

its the sound of a young talented black man joining the culture war against this bs woke sh**.

welcome to the fight young man. glad to have you.

7 hours ago, Buffarukus said:

lol they canceled parler under a lie thats where 1/6 was organized when it was face book.

start your own if you dont like it!!

hey did they start their own? we can't control their speech! STOP THEM!!

Parler is available for any dweeb to download.

Trump's "social media platform" (blog, but whatever) is available for any dweeb to read.

40 minutes ago, 716er said:

Parler is available for any dweeb to download.

Trump's "social media platform" (blog, but whatever) is available for any dweeb to read.

You can’t be this dense to not understand what he’s referencing.... I mean, you really can’t... can you?

On 5/20/2021 at 9:27 AM, oldmanfan said:

I hesitate to respond since you have proven you will deliberately lie about what I write, but if you read my post it says specifically that it may kill comedians with little talent that have to rely on cheap shots to try and be funny.  Murray and Rock are great comedians, and they write material that points to the absurdity of racial bias and such. 

By the way, what you call facts?  Those  are your opinions.  There's a difference.  

Fair enough--it's my opinion that it's a fact that comedians like Eddie Murphy and Chris Rock often use derogatory, edgy, sexist and insensitive language and have become wildly popular in large part because of it.  I may be different than you, but when I heard Eddie Murphy running on about women "throwing the p@ssy" at him, I saw no great societal message in it, I just saw a brilliant guy who developed, worked and likely focus-grouped a series of lines and words designed to maximize laughter in an attempt to maximize revenue.  Interestingly, or not, I didn't like that particular bit when I saw him live, I thought it was vulgar and tasteless (yeah, I said it) true though it may have been for EM, and felt the same when Trump's secret audio recording about the same subject was released later on. 

I deleted my post shortly after sharing, as I saw that you had shared additional information regarding people like Pryor, Carlin and Hicks.  It's true what you said above, you mentioned comedians and cheap shots...and also made the point about the bigots who might find that sort of humor funny.  My point simply was that people can laugh at a variety of topics that you might find funny without being bigots...and many do.  In fact, I'd go so far as to say most can on some level.  That explains the popularity of movies like The Hangover and Detroit-born actor Ken Jeong portraying exceptionally effeminate International Criminal Leslie Chow and his wildly funny butchering of "Quid Pro Quo, Douchebag".   

Anyways, follow your heart on whether or not to reply to me in the future.  I enjoy interacting with you in spite of--my opinion here--the fact that you have some fairly large blind spots when it comes to discussing certain issues that teeters on hypocrisy.  

1 hour ago, 716er said:

Is Parler cancelled?

i guess you can.

so a monopoly used its power to destroy its competition under false pretenses and because it ultimately rebuilt itself from the ground up...

nevermind, its a waste of time. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

so a monopoly used its power to destroy its competition under false pretenses and because it ultimately rebuilt itself from the ground up...

"a monopoly"

"its"

"its"

"false pretenses"

"it"

"itself"

Can you expand on what the ***** you're talking about or are we in pronoun hell for life? 

12 minutes ago, 716er said:

"a monopoly"

"its"

"its"

"false pretenses"

"it"

"itself"

Can you expand on what the ***** you're talking about or are we in pronoun hell for life? 

like i said "its" a waste of time. 

the fact you have no clue what the f- im talking about means you already get to much of your information on message boards. 

just know it was a horrable example. stop defending it. it doesnt look good.