Has The Woke killed comedy?

You just have to know where to look... 

Heres a few “anti-woke” comedians:

Tim Dillon is hilarious.  He has a podcast that discusses current events.  

Ryan Long is a king of sketch comedy now. His most famous skit is “Woke and Racists Actually Agree”.  Here’s another one of his sketches..

• Like (+1) 1

I’m not on Twitter or Instagram, but it’s time for people to delete theirs so these cancel people just start going after eachother. Social media is toxic, fake, and is an enabler for the cancel folks. Hell it might have affected JA17s draft stock after someone took photos of lyrics he posted from when he was a minor in highschool. Not a lot good comes from social media and it’s time to get stay off it.

Edited by GETTOTHE50
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I’m not on Twitter or Instagram, but it’s time for people to delete theirs so these cancel people just start going after eachother. Social media is toxic, fake, and is an enabler for the cancel folks. Hell it might have affected JA17s draft stock after someone took photos of lyrics he posted from when he was a minor in highschool. Not a lot good comes from social media and it’s time to get stay off it.

Republicans have all been saying they are going to delete their Twitter and move to Parler since Trump got banned, but they love to see themselves talk so much they can't quit Twitter. 

Edited by 716er
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

No it has not killed comedy and to say so is ridiculous.  It may have killed comedians with little talent so the only thing they can come up with is to take cheap shots at folks because of their race or sexual orientation and such.  And that won't be missed except for the bigots and such that think it's somehow funny.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

No it has not killed comedy and to say so is ridiculous.  It may have killed comedians with little talent so the only thing they can come up with is to take cheap shots at folks because of their race or sexual orientation and such.  And that won't be missed except for the bigots and such that think it's somehow funny.  

This is their new Sharia Law scare thing. The hob goblin waiting out there to gobble them up! 

Be afraid! 

16 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

This is their new Sharia Law scare thing. The hob goblin waiting out there to gobble them up! 

Be afraid! 

A couple months before the pandemic hit, I took a standup comedy class that my daughter (who had taken it the year before) gave me for Christmas.  It was really interesting to learn how to structure jokes and such, and at the end of it the 13 of us in the class had to do a 5 minute original set in front of a live audience with a few hundred people in the audience.   I was the last one to do my set, and mine was structured around being a husband and father of two daughters, and how that makes one a broken man.  Didn't use one off-color word, not one off color joke, and I got a standing O.  And afterward I had a lot of people coming up to me telling me how appreciative they were that I did a clean set; that some of the ones that relied on sexist or off-color stuff just wasn't funny.

Some comedians have found gold in approaching subjects like race and such.  Richard Pryor is right with Carlin as the top stand ups in history, but Pryor came at it from a satirical vantagepoint.  Another guy who died too soon is Bill Hicks, could be very off color but because he was using it to point out the absurdity of racism and such.  Bill Burr also goes to the extreme to point out absurdities, and it is true that there are a few folks that go over the top in their outrage over what they perceive to be slights.  But they are in a small minority.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Yea, Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock are definitely comedians with “little talent”.  Both came out and admitted they stepped back from comedy due to this woke environment we’re in. 

Jerry Seinfeld stopped doing college campuses a few years back because of this.  

Edited by SCBills

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I think you’re actually making the point that The woke is indeed actually killing comedy.  

The fact is that people can laugh at a joke about just about anything and recognize it’s a joke about something.  It makes them no less bigoted than you, but it probably makes them less judgmental. 

Eddie Murphy at his zenith joked about white people, black people, Asians, Hispanics and  he reinforced and mocked stereotypes, and was famous for a bit about how when he became famous, women were “throwing the p@ssy at him”. 

While he was not everyone’s cup of tea, he was widely regarded as a very funny human being.

Chris Rock did a bit about approaching an ATM and who he was worried about sneaking up behind him.  It’s quite an aggressive bit, and the humor very edgy, but it touches on the common and often irrational fear of everyday life.  In one respect, it humanizes him, in another it portrays a societal problem that people deal with. 

Like it, don’t, whatever but these are the facts.  

I hesitate to respond since you have proven you will deliberately lie about what I write, but if you read my post it says specifically that it may kill comedians with little talent that have to rely on cheap shots to try and be funny.  Murray and Rock are great comedians, and they write material that points to the absurdity of racial bias and such. 

By the way, what you call facts?  Those  are your opinions.  There's a difference.  

26 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Yea, Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock are definitely comedians with “little talent”.  Both came out and admitted they stepped back from comedy due to this woke environment we’re in. 

Jerry Seinfeld stopped doing college campuses a few years back because of this.  

Just stop.  Stop.  Chris Rock has a big 2021 tour planned.  Seinfeld Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee is up for another season and is very popular.  Chappelle can do virtually whatever he wants.  They are all working and doing what they want.  If, indeed, to the OP's question Has Wokeness Killed Comedy, the answer for the guys you've mentioned is a resounding no.  Comedians that aren't funny and think an act that just slams an demeans people without the subtleties of sarcasm and such may lose jobs, and rightfully so.  Because they aren't funny.  

Some people keep saying they're sick of wokeness.  I am sick of people thinking wokeness is actually a real issue and a way for the Trumplican party to try and win elections.  There are real issues to be concerned about in this country. 

23 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Just stop.  Stop.  Chris Rock has a big 2021 tour planned.  Seinfeld Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee is up for another season and is very popular.  Chappelle can do virtually whatever he wants.  They are all working and doing what they want.  If, indeed, to the OP's question Has Wokeness Killed Comedy, the answer for the guys you've mentioned is a resounding no.  Comedians that aren't funny and think an act that just slams an demeans people without the subtleties of sarcasm and such may lose jobs, and rightfully so.  Because they aren't funny.  

Some people keep saying they're sick of wokeness.  I am sick of people thinking wokeness is actually a real issue and a way for the Trumplican party to try and win elections.  There are real issues to be concerned about in this country. 

I just named 3 of the most famous comedians on the planet who all think it’s a problem, but random internet guy is the expert. 

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I just named 3 of the most famous comedians on the planet who all think it’s a problem, but random internet guy is the expert. 

And all three of them are doing successful shows and doing fine.  So to go back to the original question: is woke killing comedy?  Of course not or these guys wouldn’t be doing so well, would they?

The woke crap is just that: crap.  It is a made up issue.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

And all three of them are doing successful shows and doing fine.  So to go back to the original question: is woke killing comedy?  Of course not or these guys wouldn’t be doing so well, would they?

The woke crap is just that: crap.  It is a made up issue.  

They're already established all time greats.   

You aren't going to see anything like them for a long time.  

No up and coming comedian can do a "the alphabet people" bit in front of a college and survive.  

The fact that the once highly regarded Thursday night comedy block on NBC is dead says a lot.  The anchors of which were Cheers to Seinfeld to Friends to The Office. 

I'm not sure half the characters on those shows (including Michael Scott) or some of their classic episodes would get greenlit today.

The climate doesn't make comedy impossible.  

The climate makes legendary comedy totally impossible.    

In keeping with the theme of comedy this may be ias offensive question.  Have you or any "normal" person you know ever dated anyone that is "woke"?  And how did it work out?  That might be a good concept for a situation comedy.

9 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

No up and coming comedian can do a "the alphabet people" bit in front of a college and survive.  

The fact that the once highly regarded Thursday night comedy block on NBC is dead says a lot.  The anchors of which were Cheers to Seinfeld to Friends to The Office. 

I'm not sure half the characters on those shows (including Michael Scott) or some of their classic episodes would get greenlit today.

And comedy tastes change with time.  Vaudeville was an early firm of comedy and it isn’t around anymore.

What you consider legendary is just your opinion.  Others have a different thought of what is funny.  But because they may not agree with you, it means comedy is dead?  Get over yourself.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

And comedy tastes change with time.  Vaudeville was an early firm of comedy and it isn’t around anymore.

What you consider legendary is just your opinion.  Others have a different thought of what is funny.  But because they may not agree with you, it means comedy is dead?  Get over yourself.

Tastes change.  Styles change.

Naturally. 

Not due to a coordinated effort to police the "wrong" jokes AND promoting "comedians" that aren't funny but tell the "correct" ones.  

This is why SNL is a train wreck.  

They hire PC comics that check the right boxes. 

Just like the process has always worked......

33 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Steve Carrell already said that you couldn’t make The Office now.  

On 5/19/2021 at 11:54 AM, T master said:

I love this guy because he truly doesn't give a S**t about what any of them think ... All things are on the table for his comedy !!

I love him, too. And there's plenty around like him. Not exactly like him, but of that mold where anything is fair game. Dave Chappelle, for instance, is still going strong.

This thread is kinda fake. Do you guys not watch any comedy specials or anything on HBO? There's plenty of "edgy" stuff out there. 

Rogan's discussion seemed to be more about movies, which I can agree with. Movies are usually over-produced and an "edgy" movie is more likely to be turned down or watered down for fear of losing money.

7 hours ago, SCBills said:

Steve Carrell already said that you couldn’t make The Office now.  

Maybe not on NBC.