Has The Woke killed comedy?

Yes.  Yes it has is the answer.  For now.  The next generation Lenny Bruce's are coming.

Now disregard what Rogan is saying here about straight white men- which is true btw.....but his back and forth about comedy is spot on. 

Joe Rogan Warns: Woke Mob Will Make It So ‘Straight White Men’ Won’t Be ‘Allowed To Talk,’ ‘Go Outside’

JOE ROGAN: We were talking today or yesterday rather with Russell Peters about when was the last time you saw a good comedy movie? And can you make a good comedy movie anymore? Or have they, have they made it so dangerous in terms of like being canceled that comedy movies are no longer something you can do?

GUEST: There’s a movie called, I think it’s called The Overnighters, I might need to double check on that, the guy, I think his name’s Adam Scott, is that a guy? A comic actor. And then, who’s the guy from Rushmore who’s great? Jason Schwartzman. It’s Jason Schwartzman and Adam Scott and I think it’s The Overnighters and it’s f***ing hilarious.

ROGAN: And how long did it come out?

GUEST: I might need a check on that too, maybe five years ago.

ROGAN: Yeah, that’s about the cut off.

GUEST: It’s a really like, low budget, all in one place movie. And it’s like hysterical I think. 

ROGAN: I would wonder like, what is the cut off in terms of like, when was the last time a really good … like, when was the last time there was like an edgy comedy?

GUEST: I was listening to a podcast the other day that I love that sorts of like a mental health podcast. And this lady was telling the host who’s like a straight white guy. He was like, I’m learning about privilege. And he was saying even my self deprecating humor is a little bit offensive because it’s my privilege to do self deprecating humor because as a straight white male people assume I’m joking, but other people couldn’t make such jokes because of whatever history and they were literally discussing earnestly how straight white men shouldn’t really try to be funny.

ROGAN: Was that guy a castrato?

GUEST: It felt a little castrato-y. I mean, it was just a really bizarre conversation.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/joe-rogan-warns-woke-mob-will-make-it-so-straight-white-men-wont-be-allowed-to-talk-go-outside

I'll go so far as to say they have created an atmosphere in public where literally everything is fake.  The celebrities or people you see toeing the line, you can safely assume it's fake.  Everyone will take the "safe" route.  

And when you can't tell the truth you can't make jokes.  Jokes have to have elements of truth.  Which no one is espousing because everyone's first thought is "who am I about to offend?"

It was much easier and sane to argue over what was too raunchy for TV or the 7 words you can't say on TV. 

To me, the last real comedy, edgy comedy was.....I don't even know.  Can't say.  I can't think of one comedy in the last 5 years that is worthy of watching with the fellas in your dorm.  Not one.  

The short answer is yes. Nothing is allowed to be funny anymore, unless of course it is mocking conservatives or conservative ideas. I don’t even watch anything attempting to be humorous anymore because it isn’t. Totally lame, as the

“ wokes”  want to decide what can be laughed at and what can’t. Just very angry, extremely boring people. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Would never get made today.  Not a chance.  

Maybe not, still, we should never forget what All Bundy did for our people's 

• Haha (+1) 1

Yes.  You can sense it.  Have you watched any remotely offensive stand up comedy or shows lately?  

I watched an episode of In Living Color the other day.  It would never make it past the executives in today's climate.  There would be calls to revoke the citizenship of the entire Wayans family over the Men On Film skit.  

53 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The short answer is yes. Nothing is allowed to be funny anymore, unless of course it is mocking conservatives or conservative ideas. I don’t even watch anything attempting to be humorous anymore because it isn’t. Totally lame, as the

“ wokes”  want to decide what can be laughed at and what can’t. Just very angry, extremely boring people. 

You should check out Fox Networks "Let's Be Real" which airs on Thursday's at 8:30 PM ET.  It is pretty funny and violates almost all the "values" of woke-ism and virtual signalling.  Appears to have no specific axe to grind or any agenda.  The opening episode featured Gov. Coumo encouraging everyone to flatten the curve of sexual harassment instances by following the social distancing rule of maintaining a 6 foot distance between them and the Governor.  Also a skit about Trump on Antiques Roadshow trying to pawn all the stuff he heisted from the White House when he left.

I did test-drive on a few new comedies that attempted to blend the woke lifestyle with comedy and despite having some good actors in the cast they turned out to be total flops.  Like Mr. Mayor. 

Woke comedy.  A contradiction in terms and something that cannot exist in the natural world. 

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Yes.  Yes it has is the answer.  For now.  The next generation Lenny Bruce's are coming.

Now disregard what Rogan is saying here about straight white men- which is true btw.....but his back and forth about comedy is spot on. 

Joe Rogan Warns: Woke Mob Will Make It So ‘Straight White Men’ Won’t Be ‘Allowed To Talk,’ ‘Go Outside’

JOE ROGAN: We were talking today or yesterday rather with Russell Peters about when was the last time you saw a good comedy movie? And can you make a good comedy movie anymore? Or have they, have they made it so dangerous in terms of like being canceled that comedy movies are no longer something you can do?

GUEST: There’s a movie called, I think it’s called The Overnighters, I might need to double check on that, the guy, I think his name’s Adam Scott, is that a guy? A comic actor. And then, who’s the guy from Rushmore who’s great? Jason Schwartzman. It’s Jason Schwartzman and Adam Scott and I think it’s The Overnighters and it’s f***ing hilarious.

ROGAN: And how long did it come out?

GUEST: I might need a check on that too, maybe five years ago.

ROGAN: Yeah, that’s about the cut off.

GUEST: It’s a really like, low budget, all in one place movie. And it’s like hysterical I think. 

ROGAN: I would wonder like, what is the cut off in terms of like, when was the last time a really good … like, when was the last time there was like an edgy comedy?

GUEST: I was listening to a podcast the other day that I love that sorts of like a mental health podcast. And this lady was telling the host who’s like a straight white guy. He was like, I’m learning about privilege. And he was saying even my self deprecating humor is a little bit offensive because it’s my privilege to do self deprecating humor because as a straight white male people assume I’m joking, but other people couldn’t make such jokes because of whatever history and they were literally discussing earnestly how straight white men shouldn’t really try to be funny.

ROGAN: Was that guy a castrato?

GUEST: It felt a little castrato-y. I mean, it was just a really bizarre conversation.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/joe-rogan-warns-woke-mob-will-make-it-so-straight-white-men-wont-be-allowed-to-talk-go-outside

I'll go so far as to say they have created an atmosphere in public where literally everything is fake.  The celebrities or people you see toeing the line, you can safely assume it's fake.  Everyone will take the "safe" route.  

And when you can't tell the truth you can't make jokes.  Jokes have to have elements of truth.  Which no one is espousing because everyone's first thought is "who am I about to offend?"

It was much easier and sane to argue over what was too raunchy for TV or the 7 words you can't say on TV. 

To me, the last real comedy, edgy comedy was.....I don't even know.  Can't say.  I can't think of one comedy in the last 5 years that is worthy of watching with the fellas in your dorm.  Not one.  

Where are these mobs you are talking about? 

The outrage machine is a joke, and pretty funny, actually 

• Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Where are these mobs you are talking about? 

The outrage machine is a joke, and pretty funny, actually 

The editor here in the LA Times uses the phrase "pre woke America."

That tells you all you need to know.  Unfortunately, the Woke makes up a small minority that thanks to social media fake trends are made to feel like the vast majority.  

The Netflix comedy special “Kevin Hart: Zero F— Given” came saddled with expectations that the controversial comedian would drop offensive jokes about women, the LGBTQ community or anyone else who proved an easy target in the comedy clubs of pre-"woke” America.

Cancel culturists were waiting to pounce. His loyal fans and supporters were ready to defend. The trailers for the comedy special, which was shot inside his Los Angeles home, played upon that anticipation. This performance, we were promised, would have “zero filter” and “zero apologies.”

“I’m no longer comfortable anywhere else but my house,” Hart says in the special, performing for a masked crowd in an intimate setting, dressed to resemble a comedy club. Hart, a Hollywood success who‘s used to playing huge venues, greets his audience like friends. “I’m in my ... comfort zone. I’m gonna let it fly today.”

Critics called for the motion picture academy to rescind its invitation for the comedian to host the 2019 Oscar ceremony after homophobic tweets Hart posted in 2011 resurfaced, and comments from his 2010 stand-up film, “Seriously Funny” (“As a heterosexual male, if I can prevent my son from being gay, I will”), were submitted to new scrutiny.

When he declined to apologize in an Instagram post claiming that he had been pressured to do so by the academy, he was buried under a second wave of rebuke. Soon thereafter, he stepped down as host, writing, “I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past.”

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2020-11-17/kevin-hart-netflix-comedy-special-review

Read Jerry Seinfeld's interview from 2015 on college campuses and why no comedian wants to perform on them.  

5 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

The editor here in the LA Times uses the phrase "pre woke America."

That tells you all you need to know.  Unfortunately, the Woke makes up a small minority that thanks to social media fake trends are made to feel like the vast majority.  

The Netflix comedy special “Kevin Hart: Zero F— Given” came saddled with expectations that the controversial comedian would drop offensive jokes about women, the LGBTQ community or anyone else who proved an easy target in the comedy clubs of pre-"woke” America.

Cancel culturists were waiting to pounce. His loyal fans and supporters were ready to defend. The trailers for the comedy special, which was shot inside his Los Angeles home, played upon that anticipation. This performance, we were promised, would have “zero filter” and “zero apologies.”

“I’m no longer comfortable anywhere else but my house,” Hart says in the special, performing for a masked crowd in an intimate setting, dressed to resemble a comedy club. Hart, a Hollywood success who‘s used to playing huge venues, greets his audience like friends. “I’m in my ... comfort zone. I’m gonna let it fly today.”

Critics called for the motion picture academy to rescind its invitation for the comedian to host the 2019 Oscar ceremony after homophobic tweets Hart posted in 2011 resurfaced, and comments from his 2010 stand-up film, “Seriously Funny” (“As a heterosexual male, if I can prevent my son from being gay, I will”), were submitted to new scrutiny.

When he declined to apologize in an Instagram post claiming that he had been pressured to do so by the academy, he was buried under a second wave of rebuke. Soon thereafter, he stepped down as host, writing, “I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past.”

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2020-11-17/kevin-hart-netflix-comedy-special-review

Read Jerry Seinfeld's interview from 2015 on college campuses and why no comedian wants to perform on them.  

So the mobs are attacking comedians or something? 

Look Reader's Digest has a list of 26 NEW comedies to watch. Did they not get the memo? https://www.rd.com/article/new-comedy-movies/

I love it how "The Mobs" for social justice are being twisted into something to take away comedy, you guys...

It’s so funny because the radical Left “woke” culture has pretty much become what the radical Christians used to be back in the 1950s, with regards to censorship and cancel culture...amazing how the roles are reversed now...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

It’s so funny because the radical Left “woke” culture has pretty much become what the radical Christians used to be back in the 1950s, with regards to censorship and cancel culture...amazing how the roles are reversed now...

Really? You mean those lynchers of black people are the same ones trying to kill hatful speech now? 

Ya, ok 

• Haha (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Exactly.  I'm not sure I'd put Tipper Gore in that category but no doubt evangelicals spent a good deal of energy trying to censor or police content.  

But here is the difference.  The norms were universal.  All across the political spectrum we all have the same worldview when it comes to raising our kids.  This is where liberals have lost their minds.  I think some of them figured that out so they were like "yea well I'm doing the opposite of those TEA Party jack ***es" 

We all knew the following:

You don't cuss 

You don't watch nudity or sex ;)

You should look and dress a certain way

You don't do drugs 

Respect your elders 

Kids don't run the show 

Now those have been replaced with something no one understands.  

Edited by Big Blitz