What will josh allens contract look like?

No matter what extension the Bills offer Allen they'll very likely keep the 2 years he has left on his deal at its current value in place.

This is what the Bills did with Tre White and what the Chiefs did with Mahomes.

This gives the player and agent the ability to advertise a huge APY on the new deal.....but gives the team a much more manageable cap hit situation leaving a couple of cheaper years in place.

In the end I expect the Bills to extend an offer of 6 years for $250M (41.675 APY) & I expect Allen's camp to want a shorter deal in the 4 years for $180M (45 APY) range.

A compromise of 5 years for $220M (44 APY) seems like the sweet spot for me.  The Bills will keep the remaining 2 years @ $26.55M on the deal. So it'll essentially be a 7 year deal worth $246.55M (35.225 APY).

I also think the base value of his extension will be closer to the $42.5M per year with incentives (All Pros, Conference Champs, SB Champs) pushing it closer to the $44M APY I predicted. 

Edited by Estro

7 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Hey, avoiding a hit is always better than absorbing one! 😁. Plus you gotta love the heart on this guy—that’s all I’m sayin’. 

The better way of avoiding that hit would have been to get on the ground.

Love the dog in him.....but if he goes down we are *****

19 hours ago, ALF said:

Similar to Mahomes  I would think

This is the correct answer.  The Mahomes contract was a team friendly deal.  Josh could sign that exact contract a year later, and it would be a good deal for both sides.

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, arcadia bob said:

I can see 5 years  $230 million with $200 million  guaranteed.With a no trade kicker thrown in.... I think allen takes this and gives the bill a slight discount

Year 1  30

year 2 35

year 3  45

year 4 55

year 5 65

Thoughts?

Sounds about right.

This is a contract that could cripple a small market team like the Bills for years to come. 

It could be Allen with a bunch of UDFA that make up the team

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3

5 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Sounds about right.

This is a contract that could cripple a small market team like the Bills for years to come. 

It could be Allen with a bunch of UDFA that make up the team

So your advice would be to low ball Allen? Or franchise his butt like the Cowboys did?  The contract you're reacting to would almost certainly be extended and reworked in the 4th & 5th years as Allen ages like a fine wine and the Bills are yearly Super Bowl contenders.

I guess we can always trade Allen for a boatload of draft picks and hope we land another elite QB we can have on a rookie contract.

I don't get folks worried about what Allen's contract might do to the Bills future competitiveness after enduring n 18 year playoff drought while we desperately looked for the right guy at QB?  Now that was what a crippled small market team looks like.

• Like (+1) 2

Plain and simple you dont win  the SB in todays game.If you don't have a top 5 QB ,the chances of winning are not very good to say the least.... I don't think  allen is going to be  over the top on his contract demands doesnt seem to be that type of person. Remember that free agents place a great deal importance on how teams take care of their own. Yes you may pay a little more now but you will get it back on the back end.Just my input.

His contract will be exactly what it should be. A massive amount of money to keep him locked up for the next five years. Then, the front office goes to work to put a team around him with the remaining resources. The same as they do every year but with a decidedly different strategy given the large hole a franchise QB creates.