Dan Campbell wants a live Lion at Detroit pratices.

I get that they tried to take the classic "opposite direction" approach when hiring Dan Campbell, after having the dessicated hobo corpse of Matt Patricia the last couple of years.  But the shelf life for these rah-rah coaches is usually very short. 

I can't see this guy even lasting 2.5 years once the injuries inevitably pile up and his guys start to tune him out

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

Dan Campbell: I would love to have a pet lion at practice - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

Isn't this the coach who said he wants his players to bite the kneecaps off the opposing team or said something like that. He will either be a great success or an epic train wreck. It should be fun to watch. 

Listen to his interview on PMT. It is amazing. He'd also give up an arm for a Superbowl.

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

Dan Campbell: I would love to have a pet lion at practice - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

Isn't this the coach who said he wants his players to bite the kneecaps off the opposing team or said something like that. He will either be a great success or an epic train wreck. It should be fun to watch. 

Oddly enough I think the over the top stuff works for one year.  I think they'll be a wild card team this year, and he will still be fired half way through year four.

Stuff like this motivates guys for awhile, then it gets tiring.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dogbyte said:

If the player do not perform  they’re lion food. Great motivation idea

He also wanted lions on the sidelines during practice to stop guys from going out of bounds

He strikes me as the kind of guy who enjoys a white Russian.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

These gimmicks don't work in the NFL anymore.  It's much too sophisticated now in how you prepare and cultivate a team.  I'm not saying it's still not a rough and tumble game that players need to be motivated to extraordinary things physically but it's definitely a thinking mans game more than ever.  

I'm thankful our head coach doesn't rely on or spend time thinking about nonsense like this.

Maybe he's just using the wrong type of gimmick. Perhaps he should try using a bullhorn at training camp & setting "bounties" on opposing players - that seemed to work out well for Gregg Wiilams, lol. This guy sounds like another loud mouth meathead.

I have to admit, this guy is entertaining. That being said, these types of coaches usually have short tenures.

Didn't Jack Del Rio have an axe in the locker room for his players to use after a victory, when he was coach of the Jaguars?

2 hours ago, teef said:

after i saw his press conference introducing him, i though...oh yeah, he's a goner.  i admittedly don't know much about the guy, but i just don't think i could ever hire him.

As my old AVP used to say “We’re

gonna miss that guy”.  That was his cue, gonner.

GB, he was the interim guy at the Fish awhile back.  He’s I think an old LB.

probably a good position coach, maybe, but not even in the block of a head coach.  Guys like Saleh, probably in time of given a chance, but him, we’re gonna miss that guy.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

:doh: