Bills announce FO updates: Terrance Gray and Malik Boyd named in joint promotion to take over Dan Morgan’s role

6 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Skipped over again, I hate this....

Are you Dunkirk Don?  You got passed over again???  Will the real Dunkirk Don please stand up?  Or maybe perhaps sit down???

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I really thought Dunkirk Don was going to be tapped for the position.

When they further researched his lengthy résumé, they found that he had extremely limited experience in non-fictional high-level business meetings. Of course, as someone in charge of personnel, he would need to have verified experience in such meetings.

• Haha (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

Ralph was cheap

Ralph was not cheap, he was thrifty.  When he paid for Bruce Smith's and Jim Kelly's contracts they were highest in league.

When he brought in Donahoe to be GM and President including attend all meetings, which was something John Butler was not willing to do, he was paid very well.

He was brought up in era without governments printing money when they wanted to spend more or give tax cuts to favored groups.

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Ralph was not cheap, he was thrifty.  When he paid for Bruce Smith's and Jim Kelly's contracts they were highest in league.

When he brought in Donahoe to be GM and President including attend all meetings, which was something John Butler was not willing to do, he was paid very well.

He was brought up in era without governments printing money when they wanted to spend more or give tax cuts to favored groups.

Ralph was cheap, and there is nothing you can do or say to change that, it is now chiseled in stone, to forever be remembered that way..., 

mostly Ralph fell out of touch with what the league was trending toward, that and his contact list of quality coaches pretty much hardly existed during his entire time of ownership...

2 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I'm pretty sure Beane has nothing to do with front office hiring.  I could be wrong

When you look at their org chart, all of these people ultimately report to him or to people who report directly to him.  I'm sure nobody gets hied into any front office position without Beane's concurrence.

Just now, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

When you look at their org chart, all of these people ultimately report to him or to people who report directly to him.  I'm sure nobody gets hired into any front office position without Beane's concurrence.

8 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

mostly Ralph fell out of touch with what the league was trending toward, that and his contact list of quality coaches pretty much hardly existed during his entire time of ownership...

Ralph's coach referral list/cheat sheet:

Saban:  Worked here previously.

Rauch:  Heard of him.

Stephenson:  Classy guy.

Bullough:  Assy guy.

All the rest:  Let Russ handle it.

😁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
😁
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm pretty sure Beane has nothing to do with front office hiring.  I could be wrong

I am curious why you think the GM does not hire the front office staff?  If not Beane, who?

Edited by Just Joshin'

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

A lot of folks a few years ago were saying Overdorf needed to go for the Bills to be winners again.

Well, he is the last of Ralph’s trash still standing.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Rico said:

Previous GMs were required to follow his "advice" and he was signing off on contracts.

Right now Overdorf is just an advisor.

Overdorf was the one who did not require "take back" clauses for contract violations for players with larger signing bonuses.

Reminds me of controller at office who signed multiyear contracts without automatic TDY per diem rate adjustments and we were told to "look for coupons" when travelling and "pay out of pocket" when customer wanted us within minimum travel time of site.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Rico said:

In hindsight, Overdorf evidently was not the problem...,

39 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

In hindsight, Overdorf evidently was not the problem...,

He could also be a supreme master ass-kisser….safest thing to do was toss him to the curb, but I sure won’t argue with the bottom-line results since 2017.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

He could also be a supreme master ass-kisser….safest thing to do was toss him to the curb, but I sure won’t argue with the bottom-line results since 2017.

I here ya, but he serves a function that helps the FO run well so there is that... that and he likely has a defined role as to his job responsibilities and does those things well, that also keeps him in the harmless category...

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Whatever happened to that guy we brought back from the Texans no promotion for him?

Brian Gaine - no, nothing announced. Maybe he has something else in the hopper. He’s kind of in a made up job right now working from Houston 

6 hours ago, Captain Caveman said:

Not sure that's entirely the difference - The Bills are winning, and in a non-pandemic year profitable.  The Sabres have been losing / unprofitable since the Pegulas took the team over.  At a certain point they made the decision to cut costs.

Kevyn Adams might really know what he's doing, but it might be hard to tell with the constraints he's facing.

Profit has little to do with it.  Remember Pegula said that “the Sabres reason for existence is to win Stanley Cups” and if he needs money he will “drill another well”.   My how times have changed.  

Sabres have been losing for 10 years under the Pegula reign.  They are about to set the record for most consecutive years out of playoffs in a league were over half the teams make the playoffs.   In that span they have had 4 GMs and 7 coaches.  The culture there is rotten. Sad but true. 

Adams may indeed be good, we will see.  I am pulling for him.  

Beane and McD are the difference.  No doubt about it.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Agree 1

I don't follow the Sabres anymore, but I think it's obvious that Pegs big mistake there was bringing Russ Brandon into the front office. The Curse of Ralph spread thru the Sabres organization... a cancer of losing, making things monumentally worse. :(