New England is ready to play Monkey in the Middle with football

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31463062/source-new-england-patriots-set-re-sign-quarterback-brian-hoyer

Brian Hoyer, the poor team's alternate to Ryan Fitzpatrick who has started for 7 different teams, has been re-signed.

Brian Hoyer (35, UDFA) will back up Cam Newton (32, 1st round) with third-year Jarrett Stidham (24, 3rd round) and Mac Jones (22, 1st round) waiting for snaps.

I do not think anyone is trading for New England's backup QB this year despite him supplanting Hoyer as 2nd QB on roster last year after a terrible game by Hoyer.

3 QB Combination Possibilities:

• Mac Jones is made starter right out of camp. Cam is cut (costing NE $2 million signing bonus and a $1.5 million, fully-guaranteed base pay for 2021), with Stidham and Hoyer being backups.
  • Cam Newton is still starter, Mac Jones is 2nd QB and either Stidham or Hoyer is #3 QB.
  • An injury occurs in camp to Newton, Stidham is made starter with Jones as backup QB.
  • Aaron Rodgers' agent (with permission) talks to New England GM and is traded with promise to have Mac Jones learn from experience like he did. Newton goes to Green Bay as part of package.

2 QB Combination Possibilities - same as 3 QB but no 3rd QB.

Edited by Limeaid
typos, correction
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31463062/source-new-england-patriots-set-re-sign-quarterback-brian-hoyer

Brian Hoyer, the poor team's alternate to Ryan Fitzpatrick who has started for 7 different teams, has been re-signed.

Brian Hoyer (35, UDFA) will back up Cam Newton (32, 1st round) with third-year Jarrett Stidham (24, 3rd round) and Max Jones (22, 1st round) waiting for snaps.

I do not think anyone is trading for New England's backup QB this year despite him supplanting Hoyer as 2nd QB on roster last year after a terrible game by Hoyer.

3 QB Combination Possibilities:

• Max Jones is made starter right out of camp. Cam is cut (costing NE $2 million signing bonus and a $1.5 million, fully-guaranteed base pay for 2021), with Stidham and Jones being backups.
  • Cam Newton is still starter, Max Jones is 2nd QB and either Stidham or Hoyer is #3 QB.
  • An injury occurs in camp to Newton, Stidham is made starter with Jones as backup QB.
  • Aaron Rodgers' agent (with permission) talks to New England GM and is traded with promise to have Mac Jones learn from experience like he did. Newton goes to Green Bay as part of package.

2 QB Combination Possibilities - same as 3 QB but no 3rd QB.

Thanks for the link.

**Not sure if it was an auto-correct situation or a simple error, but the Patriots do not have a "Max Jones" on the roster. It's Mac, which is short for McCorkle.

I think there are more possibilities. Couldn’t jones get hurt, cam get cut, and stidham be the starter? Or there must be some scenario where hoyer starts? Also in your first scenario jones is both a starter and backup? Sorry, I’m tired.

18 minutes ago, dreadlox said:

I think there are more possibilities. Couldn’t jones get hurt, cam get cut, and stidham be the starter? Or there must be some scenario where hoyer starts? Also in your first scenario jones is both a starter and backup? Sorry, I’m tired.

Tired too. I do not see Stidham beating out Newton; Hoyer I cannot see starting after performance last year and I assume he is brought in to be veteran presence / emergency QB so they can cut Newton but I have not seen his contract info yet.

42 minutes ago, Logic said:

Thanks for the link.

**Not sure if it was an auto-correct situation or a simple error, but the Patriots do not have a "Max Jones" on the roster. It's Mac, which is short for McCorkle.

I called him Matt Jones once in a post.  I actually have a son by that name, and a grandson named Max.  Fortunately nobody in the family is named Mac.  I wouldn't want to have to deal with the natural associations with New England. LOL

• Like (+1) 1

I don't see why Aaron Rodgers would want to go to New England.  He is leaving one heir apparent for another just drafted one.  Also, I don't see Bill Belicheck and Rodgers getting along all that well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 7

6 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

I called him Matt Jones once in a post.  I actually have a son by that name, and a grandson named Max.  Fortunately nobody in the family is named Mac.  I wouldn't want to have to deal with the natural associations with New England. LOL

That's OK. Nobody on this board would ever criticize you for making an honest mistake. 😀

• Haha (+1) 6

They just needed a camp arm and know Hoyer, nothing to see here.  If Jones can prove to play pretty mistake free football in camp, I’d bet he gets the nod as starter, but there’s a chance they let Cam play a few games to start the year, see if that run heavy package will work.  Boyer and Stindum or however you spell it are just waiting to be cut.

If the Pats* are hanging their hat on Mac Jones, signing Hoyer makes perfect sense, even if they end up starting Hoyer for the beginning of the season. Hoyer knows the system, and has a helluva lot more in common in terms of the type of QB he is than Cam Newton. Even if you ascribe to the notion of Belichick* as "The Greatest Coach of All Time," it would be strange to build an offensive scheme around Cam, or Mac, and then have one take over for the other. It'd be hard to find two quarterbacks who were more polar opposite.

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, hjnick said:

I don't see why Aaron Rodgers would want to go to New England.  He is leaving one heir apparent for another just drafted one.  Also, I don't see Bill Belicheck and Rodgers getting along all that well.

There's no way Rodgers let's Bill control him. I see Mac as the starter and Cam cut. Stidham and Hoyer are scrubs so it doesn't matter who wins backup duty.

• Like (+1) 2

is it me, or does mac jones just hold himself bizarrely?  when he stand, walks, or even when he was sitting waiting to get drafted, he just looked awkward.  not saying this has anything to do with his football prowess, but it's just something i noticed.

Edited by teef

9 minutes ago, teef said:

is it me, or does mac jones just hold himself bizarrely?  when he stand, walks, or even when he was sitting waiting to get drafted, he just look awkward.  not saying this has anything to do with his football prowess, but it's just something i notice.

He walked weirdly at the draft. He either kept his arms too straight or hunched over a little too much...or both....I don't remember, but it was odd.