It’s a Super Sunday, so here’s Super Bowl l -best video of the game!

You know, the game does not look nearly as archaic as I expected.  Len Dawson looks a bit like Josh when he rolls out of the pocket.

I love how Bart Starr practically turns his back to the LOS when he drops back.

Edited by TailgateChef
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Anyone who still believes the myth that it wasn't called the Super Bowl needs to go to the 22:40 point of the video, where you'll see a man in the stands wearing a hat that says Super Bowl.  At 36:58 at the bottom of the screen during the halftime show they spell out in block letters Super Bowl.

Myths die hard-a while ago I posted the front page of the Courier Express the day after the AFL championship game before the 1st Super Bowl & at one point it said Kansas City "gains Super Bowl".  Somebody accused me of posting a photoshopped picture.   

Edited by Albany,n.y.

3 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Anyone who still believes the myth that it wasn't called the Super Bowl needs to go to the 22:40 point of the video, where you'll see a man in the stands wearing a hat that says Super Bowl.  At 36:58 at the bottom of the screen during the halftime show they spell out in block letters Super Bowl.

Myths die hard-a while ago I posted the front page of the Courier Express the day after the AFL championship game before the 1st Super Bowl & at one point it said Kansas City "gains Super Bowl".  Somebody accused me of posting a photoshopped picture.   

‘Super Bowl’ was a nickname given very soon after the merger and Title game was announced. The name of the game for the 1st two SBs was the “The AFL/NFL Championship”. Prior to SB III (Jets/Colts) the Leagues agreed to rename the game Super Bowl -as the nickname stuck.

Anti-Myth BUSTED!

That Max McGee one-handed grab was awesome!  Advance the video to 10:30 to see the highlight:  OBJ had nothing on this guy!

I also noticed a lot of empty seats.  Esp. in the End Zone.  But why do the place-kickers only take 1 tiny step?

Edited by TailgateChef

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

‘Super Bowl’ was a nickname given very soon after the merger and Title game was announced. The name of the game for the 1st two SBs was the “The AFL/NFL Championship”. Prior to SB III (Jets/Colts) the Leagues agreed to rename the game Super Bowl -as the nickname stuck.

Anti-Myth BUSTED!

When everyone except the league office is calling something the Super Bowl, it's the Super Bowl from day 1.  They were selling souvenirs with Super Bowl on them, fans in the stands were making banners referring to the game as the Super Bowl during the AFL championship game in the Rockpile, players and coaches were saying they are looking forward to playing in the Super Bowl, reporters like Heywood Hale Broun were saying during the pregame "This is Heywood Hale Broun at the Super Bowl" .  I don't have to go to and quote some reference page to know that the game was called the Super Bowl by everyone but the league office, I was seeing it all in 1967 when it actually was happening.

Most of the people who go along with the story that it wasn't the Super Bowl are either too young to know by experience or too old to remember. 

image.png.068ee9764246eafc64187f7756203ddb.png

Edited by Albany,n.y.

Is this the TV broadcast? I read there's a guy who has a copy of it and told the NFL he wanted a million for it but they declined. I don't know if that's true but I'll check the video out later to see if it is. I watched the old TV broadcast of Super Bowl III a few years ago and it put it into a much better perspective than the NFL Films footage does. 

4 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Is this the TV broadcast? I read there's a guy who has a copy of it and told the NFL he wanted a million for it but they declined. I don't know if that's true but I'll check the video out later to see if it is. I watched the old TV broadcast of Super Bowl III a few years ago and it put it into a much better perspective than the NFL Films footage does. 

Troy Haupt.  This looks like NFL Network footage that was "cobbled together".

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/02/nfl-wont-pay-man-who-has-most-of-super-bowl-i-on-tape/

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

When everyone except the league office is calling something the Super Bowl, it's the Super Bowl from day 1.  They were selling souvenirs with Super Bowl on them, fans in the stands were making banners referring to the game as the Super Bowl during the AFL championship game in the Rockpile, players and coaches were saying they are looking forward to playing in the Super Bowl, reporters like Heywood Hale Broun were saying during the pregame "This is Heywood Hale Broun at the Super Bowl" .  I don't have to go to and quote some reference page to know that the game was called the Super Bowl by everyone but the league office, I was seeing it all in 1967 when it actually was happening.

Most of the people who go along with the story that it wasn't the Super Bowl are either too young to know by experience or too old to remember. 

image.png.068ee9764246eafc64187f7756203ddb.png

There’s this thing called the interweb. Look it up, Whippersnapper 

E1558C55-AA1C-49C2-99CE-24DFE1725F61.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Anti-Myth BUSTED!

His daughter was playing with a Super Ball and hence how he came up with it: 

"As the big game approaches we will once again be told that, as Wikipedia puts it, the name "Super Bowl" was "coined by [Kansas City Chiefs owner Lamar] Hunt, who took it in part from the then popular toy, the Super Ball."