Christian Wade [Mod edited] has a groupie

1 hour ago, Arkady Renko said:

We have the snarkiest mods, don't we folks?

Well! And I don't even flip the interlock switch and fire up my snark generator when I wander these hallways!

Reminder to self: send Snark-O-Meter for calibration as most of our mods don't flicker the needle a bit

Question: Do people still "get" that reference?  Have analog meters gone the way of clocks with numbers on the dial and rotary phones?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Georgie said:

So,you should be old enough to remember that Fred grew up playing football, not rugby. By the time he got to Bills camp he had already played 3 years in Europe. He was an experienced football player, not an "athete" attempting  to learn a new sport in his late 20s.

This.  Wade's exciting play (TD and long run) in a 2019 preseason game against the Colts highlighted the difference.  After OTAs and preseason, it was a test to see how well the "new game" was sticking.  He carried the football like a rugby ball.  He didn't perceive teammates downfield as setting up blocks  (he spoke about this in an interview) - in Rugby your own teammates would never be ahead of you or blocking so his "field vision" saw them all as players to avoid.  As a result, he didn't take advantage of a block that was properly set for him and failed to score on the 2nd long carry.

It was simultaneously an exciting, special play and a play that illustrated the long road Wade has to travel.

The Bills see promise in him, or he wouldn't still be here.  But he's got a long way to go to develop the instincts to function as an NFL running back where he sees and hits his holes or sees and follows his blocks - the little things guys who have been playing American football since youth do automatically, like when Taron Johnson saw Tre' White running up alongside him on his right, saw Ravens players closing on his L, and slowed a step/veered right just slightly to let Tre' cross in front of him and block Lamar Jackson so he could get to the endzone.

And that's not even touching on the RB's duty to block in pass protection, which FredEx Delivered.  Who could forget that bruise on JJ Watt's thigh after FredEx leveled him?

Wade'll get his chance to compete, that's why he's still here.  But he's got to show a lot of improvement.  It hasn't been discussed, but his best chance is probably to compete as a KR/PR on ST and even there he has to be able to see/follow open field blocks.  On McKenzie's punt return TD he makes ~3 guys miss all on his own, but at other times his choice of moves is clearly driven by using the blocks he expects his teammates to set for him - for example, he zigs right to avoid the punter (towards other Dolphin players) because he expects Matakevich to block a guy, and Dirty Red does just that for him.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Anything more than that on both extremes of this topic is just unwarranted IMO.

It's strictly wait and see.  It's very simple.   McDermott is all about competition, and the best 53, from his point of view, will make it.  

I've written about the several reasons, from my point of view, why he seems unlikely to make it.   On the other "extreme" is the fact that guy has been an extremely successful ball carrier in a very similar sport, breaking tackles, changing direction, running away from tacklers.  NFL teams can always use guys with those skills.   What none of us knows is how well he has learned all the little things he needs to know, the little things plenty of us have been talking about here.  

In other words, it may be fun to talk about, and some of us on one side or the other will turn out to be correct, but the outcome simply isn't knowable to us.   If you were Kim Pegula and asked McDermott today, he'd tell you the truth, which might be that he sees no chance, he sees a small chance, or they're going to work really hard to get him up to speed because they think he's an impact player.   McDermott DOES have an opinion.   It's just that we don't know what it is, and he won't tell us.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Maiden, did you really think that was the smart play with Chand, one of the mods who keeps this site going?  

Cmon brother, Ive given you the benefit of the doubt on this marathon thread, but it’s starting to go a little off the rails.  

we get it, you love Wade.  You are also willing to trade away one of our two third round picks or Breida who was on a SB team for an aging rugby player.  One that has only performed against preseason opponents.  He hasn’t played one down in a regular season game.

you’re kind of reaching at this point.  A lot of reasonable people have stated how about we wait for OTA’S, training camp, preseason games and see what happens.  Isn’t that reasonable?

Well I will either be right or this will be going into the what was your worst take thread lol 

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 5/16/2021 at 1:39 AM, IronMaidenBills said:

I didn’t real realize he had another year. What if he absolutely blows up preseason again? What would it take for you to believe he is worth a spot over Moss or Singletary? Would you be open to trading Moss or Singletary? 

Maybe I’m the only one that sees it, but I think Wade is a better runner than Singletary or Moss. 

The Bills must have some plan for Wade, they must see that he is such a fantastic runner who can rip off major chunks of yardage. Why would they continuously place him on the PS if they didn’t think he had some viable path for the future? I fail to see what Moss provides that Wade can’t do other than swallowing the pride of using a draft pick on Moss. 

He didn't "absolutely blow up preseason". Meaningless touches in meaningless games.  The coaches see him EVERY DAY and know how to evaluate players. I want the Bills to win the Super Bowl whether Wade plays or not. THAT is the mission. 

On 5/16/2021 at 1:06 AM, IronMaidenBills said:

We say that now, but I’m willing to bet people change there minds after another off season where he actually gets to play in games this year. I understand that Taiwan Jones is a special teamer, but that’s literally all he does. It’s a waste of a roster spot. If Christian Wade has truly worked on being a better blocker, understanding assignments, then he should make the roster this year. He has incredible instincts that we are lacking on this team. Wade finds the end zone. 

Its his third and final shot and he just turned 30. For him to make the 53,Bills would have  to cut or trade TWO  of Singletary, Moss ,Breida, Jones, Williams. Which two do you realistically think he can beat out? Don't think he can yake return reps from McKenzie,Powell,Stevenson ,Breida or whomever. 

On 5/16/2021 at 12:49 AM, IronMaidenBills said:

I’m calling it right now. Christian Wade will make the 53 man roster this year. At this point I don’t think his absence from the final roster has been due to a lack of athletic ability at the running back position, but more so because of the lack of the technical nuances that comes with the complete understanding of the game. I feel the last year and this offseason will be what puts Wade over the hump to grab a spot on this team. We will see it this pre season, I’m pretty confident his abilities will flash again and more people will be asking is he ready to take a spot. 

A 31 year old RB with no real football experience? C'mon man. Get real.

This is a nice story for the NFL and that's about it.

1 hour ago, purple haze said:

It is what it is.  If Wade is on the roster he beat out Breida and Williams.

So how does punting 1 or 2 times a game and having a kicker that provides mostly touchbacks justification for keeping a non productive RB on a roster over someone who can actually carry the ball? 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

40 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

So how does punting 1 or 2 times a game and having a kicker that provides mostly touchbacks justification for keeping a non productive RB on a roster over someone who can actually carry the ball? 

This is the kind of exaggeration that weighs against your credibility here. 

Fact: we punted 41 times last year, which was the lowest in the league and considered a bit of an outlier.  But even that averages 2.6x per game, so 2-3 would be the more appropriate range.   The next  lowest teams were 44, 45, and 47 punts, so 3 punts per game would be a realistic "team that doesn't punt much" number.

We also had a very high TB%, 7th in the league.  But with 101 kickoffs, that still means 30 kickoffs that weren't TBs, or not quite 2 kickoffs returned against us per game.

So even with a low punt total and high TB %, that's still 5 plays per game that can have a significant impact on field position and the outcome of the game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is the kind of exaggeration that weighs against your credibility here. 

Fact: we punted 41 times last year, which was the lowest in the league and considered a bit of an outlier.  But even that averages 2.6x per game, so 2-3 would be the more appropriate range.   The next  lowest teams were 44, 45, and 47 punts, so 3 punts per game would be a realistic "team that doesn't punt much" number.

We also had a very high TB%, 7th in the league.  But with 101 kickoffs, that still means 30 kickoffs that weren't TBs, or not quite 2 kickoffs returned against us per game.

So even with a low punt total and high TB %, that's still 5 plays per game that can have a significant impact on field position and the outcome of the game.

So Taiwan 5 plays per game or Wade 5 plays per game. I view Taiwan as more replaceable on special teams than I do Wade possibly ripping off large chunks of yardage. 

• Eyeroll 1

You don’t beat the Chiefs or Tampa playing the special teams game. Special teams is very important, but is Taiwan truly a difference maker that we can’t plug in someone else to get competent production from with 5 plays a game? Even more relevant this year because Haack has increased hangtime and can pin people making a player like Taiwan even less important. You beat the Chiefs and Tampa by putting people on the field who is a threat to score anytime he has a hand on the ball. 

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

You don’t beat the Chiefs or Tampa playing the special teams game. Special teams is very important, but is Taiwan truly a difference maker that we can’t plug in someone else to get competent production from with 5 plays a game? Even more relevant this year because Haack has increased hangtime and can pin people making a player like Taiwan even less important. You beat the Chiefs and Tampa by putting people on the field who is a threat to score anytime he has a hand on the ball. 

And the guy you are championing has never touched a football in a live game that counted. And in the games that didn't count, you saw him for a total of about 13 seconds.

Edited by Tuel Time

Just now, Tuel Time said:

Doesn't wade have like 3 preseason carries total? Regardless how those 3 carries went, that's all you've seen of him. And based on 3 carries you are confident he will replace Jones's special team value?

Peak offseason right here.

Not only does Wade have incredible carries in short limited action, he can catch the ball and run through 3 defenders for 30 yards+ . I’d much rather have that threat than someone playing special teams 5 plays out of a game with a punter that pins people with big hangtime. 

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Not only does Wade have incredible carries in short limited action, he can catch the ball and run through 3 defenders for 30 yards+ . I’d much rather have that threat than someone playing special teams 5 plays out of a game with a punter that pins people with big hangtime. 

I appreciate your enthusiasm but no, I completely disagree. We've seen next to nothing from wade, and this is a championship caliber team. If I cut Jones, I'm carrying a different professional football player at OL or probably DL.

All that being said, Wade is a cool story and *****, I hope he destroys preseason and we have to keep him.