Christian Wade [Mod edited] has a groupie

11 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:I don’t think his absence from the final roster has been due to a lack of athletic ability at the running back position, but more so because of the lack of the technical nuances that comes with the complete understanding of the game.

It’s been 2 years. Football is a lot of detail and nuance, but it’s not that difficult. You’d have to be kinda of an idiot to not be able to learn the game in 2 years. You could literally teach yourself something like advanced physics in much less than two years, so if someone can’t learn football in that amount of time, maybe they shouldn’t be playing.

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

We're in a very small minority here that would like to see CWade on the 53.  I hope he gets enough looks in preseason so we can see the progress he's made in the last two years under the Bills coaching staff.  Unfortunately, it's a numbers game at RB and KR, where the Bills have invested draft picks and FA money, so CWade is probably the odd man out.  If he is waived at the end of TC, I hope someone picks him up, as opposed to him being indentured to the Bills for a third year under the IPP.

?? Investing FA  money on an inferior player is "penny wise and pound foolish". 

12 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I would not be opposed to trading Singletary or Moss to make room for Wade. Wade is just a better more fluid runner than they are. The only reason why Singletary or Moss is ahead of Wade right now is because they have played the game their entire lives and know everything there is to being a running back. 

Don't be to sure about that "they know everything".   There was an article about singletary's work this offseason and he was trying to change his running style to make sharper cuts down field when running a sweep/off tackle play and several other basics that have been keeping his run down in yardage.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

The problem is that if he can't block, or he can't run all the receiving routes, it becomes very clear to the rest of the league very quickly.  Then he's something of a liability on the field, because the defense knows there's only a limited number of ways the Bills get him the ball, and the rest of the time he's a decoy.  That's a big advantage for the defense, and it's a waste of a roster spot just to have a threat like that on the field for 3-4 plays a game.  

He MUST be able to play the position, all aspects of the position, or he MUST be able to be the kick returner.   Or both.   It's the only way he can make the 53.  

Let us realize that he has a lot of experience playing an open field tackling game like football,, AND 2+ years of NFL coaching.  Somehow people get ga ga over an American who didn't play 4 years of HS football (maybe was a basketball player) and had one year of HS football & one year of college football and came out early.  NO PROBLEM with that.??   ................ ..............I question whether a running back has to "all the receiving routes".    Gheesh!  he is not going to be a #1 or #2 wide out lining up outside the numbers!  A wheel, a screen,  a hitch, a hitch and go  and a simple crossing pattern gives him enough options to be a weapon.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It’s not a talent issue keeping Wade off the 53 man roster. It’s an understanding of everything that comes with the game of football. I think he has had enough time to learn most of the nuisances to land himself a spot. Wade is by far the most interesting player for me going into the pre season. He was robbed last year of valuable game experience, this year he will be able to shine. 

He may be 4 RB, but he would get some carries during the year. I would give him opportunities on first downs in some situations where he could rip off huge yardage where Singletary can’t. 

If the coaching staff thought he was capable of "huge yardage" on first down, he would be on the 53.  I doubt he will make the roster.

12 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Dude is living off that 30-yard first down run for the Texans in our Wild Card game against them.  ***** him :devil:

Wade is living off the exhibition TD 2 years ago, granted, it's the fans living off it, not as much him.

59 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I agree it would be fun to design a few speciality plays that take advantage of his speed. Unfortunately that's not enough to keep a roster spot for. If the NFL is serious about pushing these opportunities for international guys (which would help spread the popularity overseas if a few caught on) then they should let every NFL team activate a guy on game day without him counting against the roster.

That guy with the hoodie sweatshirt usual beat us with a collection of one trick ponies playing their role.

I would not be opposed to trading Singletary or Moss to make room for Wade. Wade is just a better more fluid runner than they are. The only reason why Singletary or Moss is ahead of Wade right now is because they have played the game their entire lives and know everything there is to being a running back. 

How many times have you seen Wade carry the ball?

2 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

It’s his style of running. The vision, the speed, it’s fluid, It’s impressive. I don’t even care if he doesn’t know how to block. I’d swing him out wide on 1st downs when we need to rip off huge yards to open us up. 

All of this...against a bunch of guys who never made a 53 man roster. The coaches see him every day in practice and he hasn't been good enough. 

Beane uses the roster rules to their full advantage. 

Bringing him back for a 3rd year doesn't mean anything in terms of a "plan for him". See Spain, Quinton...

2 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Then why bring on Wade in the first place? If you don’t plan on using him, just release him. If I was an OC, I’d love to have a player like Wade on my roster. That’s because I know how to use talent like that. 

You’re going over the edge dude. Check that: you’ve Gone over.

Simmer down. You are NOT the player evaluator you think you are.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

• Chandler#81 changed the title to [Name Only Title] Christian Wade [Mod edited] has a groupie

I'm really interested in the mentality of fans that root for the underdog less talented players over the stars.  Wade is just the recent example but you can go back to fans calling for Reich to play over Kelly. It's not as if the fans are always wrong either. Fred Jackson is case in point where the underdog fan favorite ends up being more productive than several first round picks including Lynch and Spiller.  But in most cases guys like Wade, DaRick Rodgers, and Duke Williams never amount too much.  Is it jealousy that none of us have star athletic ability and we root for these guys? 

1 hour ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Let us realize that he has a lot of experience playing an open field tackling game like football,, AND 2+ years of NFL coaching.  Somehow people get ga ga over an American who didn't play 4 years of HS football (maybe was a basketball player) and had one year of HS football & one year of college football and came out early.  NO PROBLEM with that.??   ................ ..............I question whether a running back has to "all the receiving routes".    Gheesh!  he is not going to be a #1 or #2 wide out lining up outside the numbers!  A wheel, a screen,  a hitch, a hitch and go  and a simple crossing pattern gives him enough options to be a weapon.

Singletary lines up wide.  

You can argue all you want.   The fact is that you don't play on offense or on defense unless you do essentially all the things that the position asks of you.   That's why rookies rarely start from day one, even rookies who HAVE played four years of high school and four or five years of college.   They don't because they can't do everything they need to be able to do, and the opponent quickly figures that out.   

They're called one-trick ponies for a reason, and there's a reason one-trick ponies don't play in the league.   Ask CJ Spiller.   Spiller couldn't do everything NFL coaches asked him to do, and he played in a national powerhouse program in college.   It simply isn't easy to learn to do all the things that running backs are supposed to do.  

14 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

We say that now, but I’m willing to bet people change there minds after another off season where he actually gets to play in games this year. I understand that Taiwan Jones is a special teamer, but that’s literally all he does. It’s a waste of a roster spot. If Christian Wade has truly worked on being a better blocker, understanding assignments, then he should make the roster this year. He has incredible instincts that we are lacking on this team. Wade finds the end zone. 

Yeah!  Unbelievable how they wasted a roster spot back in the glory days on some dude named Tasker ... 

3 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Then why bring on Wade in the first place? If you don’t plan on using him, just release him. If I was an OC, I’d love to have a player like Wade on my roster. That’s because I know how to use talent like that. 

WTF? He was released, TWICE.  NOBODY came calling. NOBODY!

My guess is he will be released again this year, and once again go unclaimed. He will likely end up on the Bills PS again.

Now I really hope he succeeds, with the Bills or elsewhere in the NFL. But if others in the NFL really wanted him, they could get the Bills to trade him when eligible. 

4 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

It’s his style of running. The vision, the speed, it’s fluid, It’s impressive. I don’t even care if he doesn’t know how to block. I’d swing him out wide on 1st downs when we need to rip off huge yards to open us up. 

This level of football ignorance is why it's hard for me to respect your opinion.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

This is also a fair assessment. My thing is with Wade, is he is a home run threat anytime he touches the ball. If I want to win maximum games, I want players who can score anywhere on the field. For that alone, I would have Wade on the roster. He doesn’t have to start to be of use. He is totally worth a roster spot if he comes in 4 or 5 times a game on 1st downs if he rips of 15+ yards a pass or carry. Just look what he does in the open field vs Indy or Car. Just swing him in space. We have plenty of other players on this team that can be used for blocking or special teams. We haven’t had a home run threat as a RB since Spiller. 

This is it exactly “He is totally worth a roster spot if he comes in 4 or 5 times a game on 1st downs if he rips of 15+ yards a pass or carry.” IF he can do that he will make the team .. hey coach we have this guy and if we give him the ball 5 times he will get us 75 yards .. nah let’s cut him. It is the IF though. He has a chance and the Bills are going to see what they have with him .. no chance last year due to no preaseason .. let it play out. The odds are stacked against him but IF he shows himself as you expect we will all be thrilled but keep in mind the famous quote  from Dandy Don Meredith responding to Howard Costello “If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we’d all have a merry Christmas.”

I am not expecting a festive Christmas for Wade … but would love to see it if it occurs 

Edited by CorkScrewHill

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

I cannot wait for this experiment to be over... 

You guys just irrationally hate this guy and I don’t get it. I honestly hope he plays so well this preseason that he makes the team, just to watch people squirm around. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

You guys just irrationally hate this guy and I don’t get it. I honestly hope he plays so well this preseason that he makes the team, just to watch people squirm around. 

No one hates him... Stop pretending like people seeing he isn't really an NFL player as hate. I love his little interviews he does for Bills. 

Stop with your "Everyone hate him" no one hates him... Such a stupid groupie stance to take.

We understand you fell in love with one preseason game and will attack anyone trying to tell you your man isn't the worlds best...

Hell he might have made the 53 back in the day but the talent we have is still above him right now. This is probably his last chance and he would need to beat out a guy who is a very good ST player...

Edited by TBBills

Bill's fans really do love underdogs too much

It's a great story but he has about a 1% chance to make the team

He had a few good runs against guys who are bagging groceries.. he had a few carries against 2nd 3rd stringers where he did nothing

Eight carries for 84 yards including a 65 yarder.. that means he had 7 carries for 19 yd outside of that .. against backups

And he still probably can't block which dabolls not putting you on the field if you can't

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1