Christian Wade [Mod edited] has a groupie

We had this conversation a few weeks ago.   There's nothing much to talk about, so here's another chance for people. 

Personally, I'd love to have a serious break-away threat in the running back room, someone who when you put him on the field is a threat to make a big play.  Wade is the only guy on the roster who is that kind of threat.   

His lack of special teams experience hurts him; he'd have a shot if he could be the kick returner, and last time we talked about this, someone pointed out that at his position in rugby he actually had a lot of experience fielding balls kicked in the air.   However, those ball fly truer than a football, especially a football in the wind.   Worse for him, however, is that Stevenson has come along to challenge McKenzie for his spot, so Wade has two kick returners to beat out of the special teams spot.   

On top of that, as others have pointed out, to be a third down back, he has to be able to block.  He's had a couple of years to practice and learn that role, so that's something, but he doesn't see the field unless he's very good at that role.  On that interview he did on some British podcast several months ago, he admitted that he still was weak on blocking technique, and how good he is recognizing defenses and reacting to blitzes is anyone's guess.  

Put those two points together with just his general lack of experience and you have to guess that he's a longshot to make the roster.   If he does, it's a credit to him, McDermott and the coaching staff.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

He’s gotta be able to play STs.... Brieda will more than likely be on STs. That’s just McDs way.

Then why bring on Wade in the first place? If you don’t plan on using him, just release him. If I was an OC, I’d love to have a player like Wade on my roster. That’s because I know how to use talent like that. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Then why bring on Wade in the first place? If you don’t plan on using him, just release him. If I was an OC, I’d love to have a player like Wade on my roster. That’s because I know how to use talent like that. 

Cause usually the 3rd or 4th RB or anyone 3 down on the depth charts must be able to get on the field..... unless he’s guaranteed to get carries, which he’s not, how’s his slot justified on the 53, let alone the 47 that dress.

What about Antonio Williams? He flashed pretty hard in that Dolphins game. Apparently he’s working very hard to make the most of his opportunities. 

Was Wade even active that game? I feel like that’s a big indicator on how they’ve feel about Wade vs. Williams. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

We had this conversation a few weeks ago.   There's nothing much to talk about, so here's another chance for people. 

Personally, I'd love to have a serious break-away threat in the running back room, someone who when you put him on the field is a threat to make a big play.  Wade is the only guy on the roster who is that kind of threat.   

His lack of special teams experience hurts him; he'd have a shot if he could be the kick returner, and last time we talked about this, someone pointed out that at his position in rugby he actually had a lot of experience fielding balls kicked in the air.   However, those ball fly truer than a football, especially a football in the wind.   Worse for him, however, is that Stevenson has come along to challenge McKenzie for his spot, so Wade has two kick returners to beat out of the special teams spot.   

On top of that, as others have pointed out, to be a third down back, he has to be able to block.  He's had a couple of years to practice and learn that role, so that's something, but he doesn't see the field unless he's very good at that role.  On that interview he did on some British podcast several months ago, he admitted that he still was weak on blocking technique, and how good he is recognizing defenses and reacting to blitzes is anyone's guess.  

Put those two points together with just his general lack of experience and you have to guess that he's a longshot to make the roster.   If he does, it's a credit to him, McDermott and the coaching staff.  

This is also a fair assessment. My thing is with Wade, is he is a home run threat anytime he touches the ball. If I want to win maximum games, I want players who can score anywhere on the field. For that alone, I would have Wade on the roster. He doesn’t have to start to be of use. He is totally worth a roster spot if he comes in 4 or 5 times a game on 1st downs if he rips of 15+ yards a pass or carry. Just look what he does in the open field vs Indy or Car. Just swing him in space. We have plenty of other players on this team that can be used for blocking or special teams. We haven’t had a home run threat as a RB since Spiller. 

• Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

They're not going to release him.   He doesn't cost the Bills a roster spot, so there's no reason not to keep him and see what happens.  What might happen is that at the end of preseason, when he doesn't make the 53, he could leave the Bills if he can find a team that WILL put him on their roster.   That, too, seems unlikely, so the Bills will probably have him for another season as just an extra player hanging around.   Maybe next season he makes. 

People who are negative about him need to recognize, however, that we've seen the guy touch the ball twice, once for a long touchdown and once for a long run from scrimmage.   In both cases, he showed speed, change of direction, recognition, balance, and some strength.   On the pass play, he made a nice catch.   Now, on Friday, he makes a play for a touchdown in the rookie mini-camp.   The guy has talent. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

What about Antonio Williams? He flashed pretty hard in that Dolphins game. Apparently he’s working very hard to make the most of his opportunities. 

Was Wade even active that game? I feel like that’s a big indicator on how they’ve feel about Wade vs. Williams. 

Wade wasn't eligible to be active, so it's not an indicator at all. He was required to be in the practice squad all season because of his roster exempt status. 

2 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Cause usually the 3rd or 4th RB or anyone 3 down on the depth charts must be able to get on the field..... unless he’s guaranteed to get carries, which he’s not, how’s his slot justified on the 53, let alone the 47 that dress.

I would use Wade as a speciality back. He would be strictly a 1st down back that could be used in screens and space. Just let him rip off yardage. It’s what he does best. Just look at the Carolina pass and how he moves in space. It’s electric. That’s worth having him as RB 3 or 4 to me if that means cutting Taiwan. McDermott is super conservative, so it’s not really a surprise he doesn’t find a way to utilize Wade’s talent at the expense of a special teamer. 

• Vomit 1

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

This is also a fair assessment. My thing is with Wade, is he is a home run threat anytime he touches the ball. If I want to win maximum games, I want players who can score anywhere on the field. For that alone, I would have Wade on the roster. He doesn’t have to start to be of use. He is totally worth a roster spot if he comes in 4 or 5 times a game on 1st downs if he rips of 15+ yards a pass or carry. Just look what he does in the open field vs Indy or Car. Just swing him in space. We have plenty of other players on this team that can be used for blocking or special teams. We haven’t had a home run threat as a RB since Spiller. 

The problem is that if he can't block, or he can't run all the receiving routes, it becomes very clear to the rest of the league very quickly.  Then he's something of a liability on the field, because the defense knows there's only a limited number of ways the Bills get him the ball, and the rest of the time he's a decoy.  That's a big advantage for the defense, and it's a waste of a roster spot just to have a threat like that on the field for 3-4 plays a game.  

He MUST be able to play the position, all aspects of the position, or he MUST be able to be the kick returner.   Or both.   It's the only way he can make the 53.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

They're not going to release him.   He doesn't cost the Bills a roster spot, so there's no reason not to keep him and see what happens.  What might happen is that at the end of preseason, when he doesn't make the 53, he could leave the Bills if he can find a team that WILL put him on their roster.   That, too, seems unlikely, so the Bills will probably have him for another season as just an extra player hanging around.   Maybe next season he makes. 

People who are negative about him need to recognize, however, that we've seen the guy touch the ball twice, once for a long touchdown and once for a long run from scrimmage.   In both cases, he showed speed, change of direction, recognition, balance, and some strength.   On the pass play, he made a nice catch.   Now, on Friday, he makes a play for a touchdown in the rookie mini-camp.   The guy has talent. 

People are irrationally down on Wade, for no good reason. It’s obvious to anyone with a football talent eye that Wade is one of our best runners. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Does Wade play special teams?  His skill set looks like he would be an ace special teamed.  We know how much management reveres special teams.  Some earn roster spots- Taiwan fit example- solely on ST ability.  ST might be Wade’s ticket to 53

11 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I think this is the depth chart going into this season. 

Singletary 

Moss 

Breida 

Wade 

I personally think Taiwan is replaceable on special teams. 

Wade is a great story and he sounds like a great guy everyone in the locker room seem to like him , I’m really rooting for him but lets be honest even if he kills it in the preseason I’m still not sure he makes the 53 

I'm rooting for Wade. He has more experience against 15 defenders than our entire RB room has against 11. He's explosive and elusive. We don't have two backs with those attributes. 

On the other hand he's had two years to learn to block or a ST skill. If he can't make a case for himself over 2nd year underachievers or a journeyman speedster, then cheerio to him. 

christian-wade.jpg?w=640&h=480&auto=comp

Edited by benderbender
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Pete said:

Does Wade play special teams?  His skill set looks like he would be an ace special teamed.  We know how much management reveres special teams.  Some earn roster spots- Taiwan fit example- solely on ST ability.  ST might be Wade’s ticket to 53

I haven’t heard anything Wade learning SP , but I agree with you 100% if he could play SP his chances of making the 53 would sky rocket 

40 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I would use Wade as a speciality back. He would be strictly a 1st down back that could be used in screens and space. Just let him rip off yardage. It’s what he does best. Just look at the Carolina pass and how he moves in space. It’s electric. That’s worth having him as RB 3 or 4 to me if that means cutting Taiwan. McDermott is super conservative, so it’s not really a surprise he doesn’t find a way to utilize Wade’s talent at the expense of a special teamer. 

I agree it would be fun to design a few speciality plays that take advantage of his speed. Unfortunately that's not enough to keep a roster spot for. If the NFL is serious about pushing these opportunities for international guys (which would help spread the popularity overseas if a few caught on) then they should let every NFL team activate a guy on game day without him counting against the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Breida is a threat to take it the distance on every touch.  He’s probably top 5 fastest RBs in the league.....when healthy.  Which is his biggest problem imo.  Wade could be a good replacement for Breida, stashed on the PS.  

47 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

People are irrationally down on Wade, for no good reason. It’s obvious to anyone with a football talent eye that Wade is one of our best runners. 

Not being able to block IS A GOOD REASON.  So is his age.  I like Wade and want to see him get a chance too, but it's delusional to say people are being irrational about it.

• Like (+1) 1