Christian Wade [Mod edited] has a groupie

Christian Wade, the RB equivalent to the WR camp champs from Da'Rick Rodgers to Duke WIlliams.

If Wade makes the 53 something has gone terribly wrong with Singletary, Moss, Breida and even Antonio Williams. 

That doesn't detract from his story, it just doesn't get him on the roster.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I didn’t real realize he had another year. What if he absolutely blows up preseason again? What would it take for you to believe he is worth a spot over Moss or Singletary? Would you be open to trading Moss or Singletary? 

Maybe I’m the only one that sees it, but I think Wade is a better runner than Singletary or Moss. 

The Bills must have some plan for Wade, they must see that he is such a fantastic runner who can rip off major chunks of yardage. Why would they continuously place him on the PS if they didn’t think he had some viable path for the future? I fail to see what Moss provides that Wade can’t do other than swallowing the pride of using a draft pick on Moss. 

Singletary,Moss and Williams are only 23. Wade just turned 30 and has zero NFL experience . Why would you cut one of those young backs to accommodate your feel good, warm & fuzzy fantasy? Why are are you so pumped for this guy? It's all about building and sustaining a winning roster. 

This is Wades 3rd year on the team. He's had lots of time to learn the position and I do believe this is the year the coaches give him a legitimate shot to make the roster. I think his first 2yrs here the coaches simply wanted time to mold him into a RB. Big difference between rugby and football. But it will be interesting to see if he makes it. The kid certainly has big play ability and this team could use that. Would be an incredible story too.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This is about a month earlier than I would have expected for the first major Christian Wade thread of the season. It usually comes out around late June/early July. 

June & July is Duke Williams

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

It’s not a talent issue keeping Wade off the 53 man roster. It’s an understanding of everything that comes with the game of football. I think he has had enough time to learn most of the nuisances to land himself a spot. Wade is by far the most interesting player for me going into the pre season. He was robbed last year of valuable game experience, this year he will be able to shine. 

He may be 4 RB, but he would get some carries during the year. I would give him opportunities on first downs in some situations where he could rip off huge yardage where Singletary can’t. 

You've got to love that highlight.  We watch plays from Motor last year and you see him hesitate and you see him look slow.  Then you watch this side by side and it is almost jarring.  It is a flash that gives you hope, but this is one play in preseason against a defense that was fielding lots of guys that wouldn't have made the team and blew a gap assignment in a big way.  

This is his third year so maybe he has learned how to read blocks better and has learned his blitz protections.  IF that is true and IF he has multiple more flashes like this in preseason again, then I think we would all be super excited about him.  

Right now I am more excited about Breida.  He seems like a younger version of Wade who also grew up with all those important football fundamentals his whole life and has already made an NFL team.

Edited by Long Suffering Fan
Finished sentence...
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I love Wade's attitude and it's a great story.

But when you look at our RB room, I don't see how he makes the 53.  

Brieda is on a 1 year, prove-it deal. Wade has another "stash" year, with the IPP, and it's difficult to argue that he couldn't benefit from another season of NFL training, practice, film study, and learning.

Next year we will see Wade take over the "Brieda" / speed back role; not this year. 

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I am honestly curious as to what you have seen to be able to say this.  

I won’t agree or disagree until after training camp, but considering all we saw was a very few handoffs 2 years ago.  I am not prepared to say he is better than the top 5 RBs on this roster - Moss, Singletary, Breida, Williams, or Jones.  

He was an instinctual runner 2 years ago with an offensive line and scheme that was more designed to block and allow the RB to hit any hole.  Last year that scheme changed to more of an outside zone - get to the hole and go - scheme that favored Moss and even Singletary struggled to pick it up mid season- I am not sure Wade barely practicing was able to pick it up completely and I think it suits him less.

My gut/gun to my head thought is Wade has little shot to make this current roster this year.  The NFL gave an extra year because these guys got no on the field training last year - no preseason, little training camp, and very little on field practice during the season.  I am sure he got a lot of mental reps, but the change in blocking scheme with little practice means he is basically starting over.

I would expect him to get cut - clear waivers - and be on the PS as an unusable extra again this year and then when he doesn’t make the team next year - go back to England and work to set up an NFL style training program for Brits that want to make the NFL.

I like the dude a lot, but until we see it in TC and preseason - I think he is 6 or lower on the depth chart.

That's what I think too, he's trying to set up an american football program in the UK as a long term vision.

I don’t understand what the point is with guys like Wade. If the league is really trying to expand the talent pool and league popularity let these guys dress, but be exempt from the 53. At least then you could give them some reps even if it is just garbage time. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I didn’t real realize he had another year. What if he absolutely blows up preseason again? What would it take for you to believe he is worth a spot over Moss or Singletary? Would you be open to trading Moss or Singletary? 

Maybe I’m the only one that sees it, but I think Wade is a better runner than Singletary or Moss. 

The Bills must have some plan for Wade, they must see that he is such a fantastic runner who can rip off major chunks of yardage. Why would they continuously place him on the PS if they didn’t think he had some viable path for the future? I fail to see what Moss provides that Wade can’t do other than swallowing the pride of using a draft pick on Moss. 

Look, he had a couple of nice plays but you should probably pump the brakes. You sound pretty foolish right now with all this. It’s a cool story but you’re really reaching here.

1 hour ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Brieda is on a 1 year, prove-it deal. Wade has another "stash" year, with the IPP, and it's difficult to argue that he couldn't benefit from another season of NFL training, practice, film study, and learning.

Next year we will see Wade take over the "Brieda" / speed back role; not this year. 

This is a very fair assessment. I just think Wade is going to just blow up the off-season this year. It’s my opinion. He was robbed of valuable playing time last preseason with the virus issues, but this year he will be able to showcase more of that explosive speed and vision. If Wade doesn’t make the team either this year or next, I will be very surprised. 

2 hours ago, Arkady Renko said:

I am old enough to remember when fans impressed by Fred Jackson's performance in preseason were dismissed as silly.  

Exactly. Wade has that vision and speed combo I look for. Singletary and Moss are snails compared to Wade. Breida is very similar to Wade, so that camp battle will be interesting. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

make it stop

I can’t wait until Wade shuts up all the downers on here. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Maiden, you might want to consider consolidating you’re thoughts into one post meaning, you’ve multiple times keep responding to yourself.  I understand if you’re having a conversation with some of the guys and you bring up new points, that makes sense.  I don’t care, it’s just I wanted to read through the thread to hear you out in you’re case, and was looking, wait he’s posting, and then posting again.  At a quick glance I thought maybe others are agreeing with you’re points.

Anyway, he seems to be a nice young guy, but he has a lot stacked against him.  As you mentioned our depth players value is in ST.  It’s not like Jones is going to sub in for Moss, Singletary or Breida unless one or multiple are hurt which can happen.  He activated for ST, but in an emergency for example, Moss takes one for 7 yards and bangs up his knee.  McD has Singletary activated and god forbid two plays later Singletary goes down with an ankle.  Well you have a RB who was there for ST that now can get you through the game.

I’m not sure why you’re so high on him as I can only remember one play in the pre season two years ago, and after he didn’t even know to run off the field for the extra point.  Maybe he’s learned the game, but I haven’t seen extensive interviews of him, or any substantive tape in practice to know if he’s improved.  We didn’t activate Yeldon throughout the last two years so they only had two RB’s active plus a ST RB.  Why would that change?  Not me asking, but what would lead you to believe McD all of a sudden changes his philosophy on offense.

He’ll probably be on the IPP again, it’s a nice story, and by next year he either learns the game enough to make the 53 or he received a nice paycheck for three years.  If he really wanted to make the active roster, wouldn’t they exhaust every Avenue to get him to be an excellent ST player?

Having it’s own thread makes sense, I just think it’s all been said before.  If you really have some new info., interviews by the coaches, etc., practice tape, please share it as maybe you are right.  I’ve just not seen anything and trust our coaching staff.  Maybe he lights it up in all three preseason games and he gets his shot.  That’s where he’ll have to prove it.

That was very kind of you to be gentle with Mrs Wade. I think all mothers have big dreams for their kids. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

6 hours ago, mattynh said:

Why are you so sure about wade?  Based on what a couple plays in preseason ?

It’s his style of running. The vision, the speed, it’s fluid, It’s impressive. I don’t even care if he doesn’t know how to block. I’d swing him out wide on 1st downs when we need to rip off huge yards to open us up.