Christian Wade [Mod edited] has a groupie

Trade Moss? Hell no. The dude was rated the best pass blocker among RBs as a rookie, and REALLY started getting the juices flowing late season before his injury. I think he's gunna be a stud next year, and Breida seems like a great complimentary back with diff skill sets. If Wade can convincingly beat Singletary out then I'm on board, but it's just tough to see. Great story, fun guy, but the odds are incredibly stacked against him. Break off 6tds in the preseason and he'll be in business lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Trade Moss? Hell no. The dude was rated the best pass blocker among RBs as a rookie, and REALLY started getting the juices flowing late season before his injury. I think he's gunna be a stud next year, and Breida seems like a great complimentary back with diff skill sets. If Wade can convincingly beat Singletary out then I'm on board, but it's just tough to see. Great story, fun guy, but the odds are incredibly stacked against him. Break off 6tds in the preseason and he'll be in business lol

Ok then keep Moss and trade Singletary. I don’t understand why people are sleeping on Wade, he is fantastic in space and can rip major yards. Which is something we have been lacking for a few years now. Wade is a better runner than anyone of this team with maybe the exception of Breida now. 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Maiden, you might want to consider consolidating you’re thoughts into one post meaning, you’ve multiple times keep responding to yourself.  I understand if you’re having a conversation with some of the guys and you bring up new points, that makes sense.  I don’t care, it’s just I wanted to read through the thread to hear you out in you’re case, and was looking, wait he’s posting, and then posting again.  At a quick glance I thought maybe others are agreeing with you’re points.

Anyway, he seems to be a nice young guy, but he has a lot stacked against him.  As you mentioned our depth players value is in ST.  It’s not like Jones is going to sub in for Moss, Singletary or Breida unless one or multiple are hurt which can happen.  He activated for ST, but in an emergency for example, Moss takes one for 7 yards and bangs up his knee.  McD has Singletary activated and god forbid two plays later Singletary goes down with an ankle.  Well you have a RB who was there for ST that now can get you through the game.

I’m not sure why you’re so high on him as I can only remember one play in the pre season two years ago, and after he didn’t even know to run off the field for the extra point.  Maybe he’s learned the game, but I haven’t seen extensive interviews of him, or any substantive tape in practice to know if he’s improved.  We didn’t activate Yeldon throughout the last two years so they only had two RB’s active plus a ST RB.  Why would that change?  Not me asking, but what would lead you to believe McD all of a sudden changes his philosophy on offense.

He’ll probably be on the IPP again, it’s a nice story, and by next year he either learns the game enough to make the 53 or he received a nice paycheck for three years.  If he really wanted to make the active roster, wouldn’t they exhaust every Avenue to get him to be an excellent ST player?

Having it’s own thread makes sense, I just think it’s all been said before.  If you really have some new info., interviews by the coaches, etc., practice tape, please share it as maybe you are right.  I’ve just not seen anything and trust our coaching staff.  Maybe he lights it up in all three preseason games and he gets his shot.  That’s where he’ll have to prove it.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I really really hope we have plans for Wade, if not, I would like to see him released. He will play on some NFL team, I’m confident about it. Some NFL coach will see his value like I do in open space. I would be setting up screens, sweeps, and just let him do what he does best. 

Why are you so sure about wade?  Based on what a couple plays in preseason ?

Edited by mattynh

3 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

We say that now, but I’m willing to bet people change there minds after another off season where he actually gets to play in games this year. I understand that Taiwan Jones is a special teamer, but that’s literally all he does. It’s a waste of a roster spot. If Christian Wade has truly worked on being a better blocker, understanding assignments, then he should make the roster this year. He has incredible instincts that we are lacking on this team. Wade finds the end zone. 

Because you shouldn't spend roster spots on special teamers? Honestly that particular opinion is one of the more ridiculous commonly held beliefs I come across on this board.

• Like (+1) 2

Iron Maiden Bills: "Just give him one more training camp, that's all I ask."

Most of TBD: "NO!"

Iron Maiden Bills: "You'd do it for Fred Jackson."

the rabble, hushed: "Fred Jackson!"

angelic choir: 🎶 Fre-ed Jack-SON!!!🎵

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Rewriting the script.
  • Haha (+1) 5

What I don't understand about Christian Wade is, why would he want to be back?   I understand his pay is similar to what he got as a star in professional rugby.  Why would he want to waste another year of his athletic prime sitting on the bench without even a chance of a call-up?

I wouldn't be surprise if he goes thru training camp and goes back to rugby if the Bills try to put him into the exempt practice squad position again.

Edited by Billy Claude

5 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I’m calling it right now. Christian Wade will make the 53 man roster this year. At this point I don’t think his absence from the final roster has been due to a lack of athletic ability at the running back position, but more so because of the lack of the technical nuances that comes with the complete understanding of the game. I feel the last year and this offseason will be what puts Wade over the hump to grab a spot on this team. We will see it this pre season, I’m pretty confident his abilities will flash again and more people will be asking is he ready to take a spot. 

I am honestly curious as to what you have seen to be able to say this.  

I won’t agree or disagree until after training camp, but considering all we saw was a very few handoffs 2 years ago.  I am not prepared to say he is better than the top 5 RBs on this roster - Moss, Singletary, Breida, Williams, or Jones.  

He was an instinctual runner 2 years ago with an offensive line and scheme that was more designed to block and allow the RB to hit any hole.  Last year that scheme changed to more of an outside zone - get to the hole and go - scheme that favored Moss and even Singletary struggled to pick it up mid season- I am not sure Wade barely practicing was able to pick it up completely and I think it suits him less.

My gut/gun to my head thought is Wade has little shot to make this current roster this year.  The NFL gave an extra year because these guys got no on the field training last year - no preseason, little training camp, and very little on field practice during the season.  I am sure he got a lot of mental reps, but the change in blocking scheme with little practice means he is basically starting over.

I would expect him to get cut - clear waivers - and be on the PS as an unusable extra again this year and then when he doesn’t make the team next year - go back to England and work to set up an NFL style training program for Brits that want to make the NFL.

I like the dude a lot, but until we see it in TC and preseason - I think he is 6 or lower on the depth chart.

5 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I really really hope we have plans for Wade, if not, I would like to see him released. He will play on some NFL team, I’m confident about it. Some NFL coach will see his value like I do in open space. I would be setting up screens, sweeps, and just let him do what he does best. 

To this exact point - he has been released the last 2 years and no one has picked him up.  I am not sure in limited time in a few preseason games someone is suddenly going to be like - I need that guy on my final roster.

We will see because to get to the PS and the exempt spot - he has to get cut and clear waivers where every team can grab him - so most likely you get your chance to see if others feel the same way.

6 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I’m calling it right now. Christian Wade will make the 53 man roster this year. At this point I don’t think his absence from the final roster has been due to a lack of athletic ability at the running back position, but more so because of the lack of the technical nuances that comes with the complete understanding of the game. I feel the last year and this offseason will be what puts Wade over the hump to grab a spot on this team. We will see it this pre season, I’m pretty confident his abilities will flash again and more people will be asking is he ready to take a spot. 

I wouldn't be confident if I were you, but it's definitely possible. IMO the odds aren't as high against it as most seem to think.

6 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I would not be opposed to trading Singletary or Moss to make room for Wade. Wade is just a better more fluid runner than they are. The only reason why Singletary or Moss is ahead of Wade right now is because they have played the game their entire lives and know everything there is to being a running back. 

You act as if that's nothing, knowing everything there is to being a running back. It's huge.

Know who else was fluid as hell, smooth, evasive and a terrific runner? Spiller. But he couldn't block. And unless Wade learns that, it's a huge advantage for Singletary and Spiller. As for Taiwan Jones, he got 209 snaps last year because he's very good at what he does. Wade is highly unlikely to manage to get 209 snaps.

Unless he can manage some STs snaps or learn to pass block, IMO he will have to beat out Breida. He might have a chance, but the odds aren't great.

I think it's kind of silly for anyone to have strong opinions on Wade one way or the other. The fact is we haven't seen him for 2 years and have no way of knowing how far he's come or not. However, the fact that Beane doesn't mention him when discussing his stable of backs is probably pretty telling.

2 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

What I don't understand about Christian Wade is, why would he want to be back?   I understand his pay is similar to what he got as a star in professional rugby.  Why would he want to waste another year of his athletic prime sitting on the bench without even a chance of a call-up?

I wouldn't be surprise if he goes thru training camp and goes back to rugby if the Bills try to put him into the exempt practice squad position again.

He quit rugby in part because he fell out with the authorities running English rugby. He could go back to the game, accept he is never going to play international rugby again and settle for a club career in France where the money is a bit better than in the UK. But as his missus is American my guess is he is happy with his life and if football doesn't work out he will stay in the US and become a private personal trainer or something. I don't think he is in a rush to come back the UK and play club rugby. I suspect he is over that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1