Does Gregory Rousseau need "redshirt" year?

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Year One. 

That's the qualifier. 

Still, looking at the names on that list, not many of them turned into DE #1's. 

Here is the original Tweet:

i know those two slackers Frank Clark and Chris Jones.  Slackers!

Well be fine. In Beane we trust.

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Year One. 

That's the qualifier. 

Understood. I think there is a lot that goes into those numbers, such as how many snaps the player gets and whose playing in front of him. I imagine most of those listed didn’t get the majority of snaps their first year thus contributing to limited number of sacks. Since our leading sacker last year only had 5 sacks if Rousseau gets 4-5 sacks he’ll look like a steal.

Clear member of a rotation, I don't see a problem with this. Even when Rousseau becomes a starter he will still rotate in this defense, only with a higher snap count. Basham has a more intriguing trajectory to me as I see him playing off the edge and a lot of 3 tech, possibly being a challenge for Oliver, we'll see. 

• Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

He’s a rookie with 1 year of experience followed by a full year off. 

Don't y'all think your standards a little bit high?😳 

He had almost as many sacks in one year as Maybin did in his two years in college. 

He will be a bit like Edmunds out there in that he’s very easy to find....he’s the BIG ONE. He keeps his hear up and seems to have a knack for making plays. I love where his ceiling might be, and I’m thrilled we don’t need him to change our team overnight.

But mostly, I’m excited because he was drafted by MUCH brighter football minds than the tire fire that resulted in the Maybin pick. There are no sure things, but I’m excited to see what he will develop into. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/17/2021 at 11:11 AM, dollars 2 donuts said:

You and I, Gun, have always thought alike!  😄

I'm just saying that it would be nice if we saw Phil Hansen (not a direct comparison) talent out of him.  He doesn't have to be a pro-bowler, just really good.  

These higher picks need to "hit".

If Ford doesn't solidify himself as a starter and AJ doesn't get regular rotational duty...😬

I know you Dollars.  Ch. 29 at I think 6 pm back in the day, and Donuts was saying *****, I’m a womanizer not a doctor.

Bones, wait that’s my line.  Kirk, hey Spock, give him the Vulcan mind meld, I have pon Farr business with Yeoman Rand.  🤪

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, skibum said:

Training camp will reveal all, but I have to say this pick reeks of Aaron Maybin. Here's hoping that's not the reality that unfolds. 

I dont see the comparison.  Rousseau is is skinny at 260.  Maybin blew up to 240 at the combine and I dont he ever played over 230 in the NFL.  Maybin got his sack turning the corner around tes and Rts in the Big 10.  Rousseau had more variance and ability in 1 year at the position.  I get you see those videos at rookie camp and he looks small.  Hes 6-7 260 plus. He is prototypical size.  He has elite get off.  Thats the best thing.  Watch JJ watt sacks.  90% of his sacks are what Rousseau did.

• Like (+1) 1

After six pages, here’s a crazy idea, how about we trust McD and Frazier, and they get now a more normal off season so OTA’s, Pre-Season games, training camp, and if he picks up quickly he moves from 5-10% snaps, to 20%, then maybe 40% by mid year.  

Everyone knows McD is a rotational guy for his linemen so at most he’s going in for half the time.  He’s competing on rotation with a 34 yr. old, who before last year was getting 9.5 sacks in avg., for five years and dropped preciously last year.  Rousseau will get every chance to get put in the lineup.  It’s up to him after that and if he’s good enough he’ll see time.  If he needs more development like Epenesa in the beginning of last year, he’ll get moved in a bit slower.

for me what’s important is Epenesa taking the next step, but the same goes for Oliver and even Ford on the offense.  We have some aging players so it’s more important our year two and three guys are now in stride like H. Phillips.  He had a tough road with his knee injury so this year we need to see a big H. Phillips year.

Im a relatively patient guy so instead of fretting over guys not even in camp yet, I care more about the other I mentioned they now breakout.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Was the other option you were considering for six pages an intervention of some sort?  

You mean the four jokes I made with Donuts and Ridge with Star Trek, etc.  until this one.  My point was simply what I said.  I trust the defensive minds and they’ll figure out how quickly to weave him into the lineup.  My above serious point bout these second and third year guys is more important in next steps.

Edited by machine gun kelly

On 5/18/2021 at 1:00 PM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Year One. 

That's the qualifier. 

I think with the uncertainty that Covid brought, we might see a few more exceed expectations than usual this year. Special circumstance.

16 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I know you Dollars.  Ch. 29 at I think 6 pm back in the day, and Donuts was saying *****, I’m a womanizer not a doctor.

Bones, wait that’s my line.  Kirk, hey Spock, give him the Vulcan mind meld, I have pon Farr business with Yeoman Rand.  🤪

I can't upvote this enough, MGK.

My goodness what a good memory.  At 5 or 6 each night.  I would always so wish my father would be distracted or not want to watch the news so I could watch Star Trek.  

...The show was off the air for 4-5 years when I believe I started watching and now it is 55 years old and Captain Kirk just turned 90.

I...am...well, let's just say it would be nice if I was a little younger!  🤣

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Haha (+1) 1

I love him on 3rd and long and guaranteed passing drives. Opted out last year, so hes got a lot of work ahead of him. 

I agree with the part where he really has no technicals. Hes going to get mauled early on. Needs to hit the weight room and work on his craft for sure.