Does Gregory Rousseau need "redshirt" year?

22 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Yeah, Mom is in heaven. Thank you 

So's Mine.

But it was the kinda juvenile humor I can laugh at.
And btw ?

Our Moms still look over us of course. so  .. it's possible she might have taken notice of "Rousseau at 31"

written respectfully Solomon Grundy

• Awesome! (+1) 1

In part, I think they see how Epenesa came along slowly last season and apply the same logic to Rousseau.

Sal Capaccio said it over and over that 4-3 DEs picked between 25 and 64 in the past 10 drafts only had 4 guys who cracked 10-sacks, out of 34 players.

So some of the analysis is correct, he probably doesn’t have elite skill and he probably does win on hustle. 

He wouldn’t have been available if he did. 

Like Lawson, Epenesa he probably is a 3-8 sack kind of guy. 

On 5/16/2021 at 2:41 AM, Ethan in Portland said:

He will get about 15 snaps a game in obvious pass rush situations for the first four games. If he shows promise he will get more snaps.  The question will be will that be at the expense of Epenesa or Addison?  My hunch is Addison is a healthy scratch after the bye week and they go with the young guys.  Addison might make a playoff return because McD will want a veteran presence.

I don’t think it will be at DE to be honest, I expect them to kick him inside and let him destroy from the middle, like most of his college success.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

In part, I think they see how Epenesa came along slowly last season and apply the same logic to Rousseau.

Sal Capaccio said it over and over that 4-3 DEs picked between 25 and 64 in the past 10 drafts only had 4 guys who cracked 10-sacks, out of 34 players.

So some of the analysis is correct, he probably doesn’t have elite skill and he probably does win on hustle. 

He wouldn’t have been available if he did. 

Like Lawson, Epenesa he probably is a 3-8 sack kind of guy. 

Yeah but the Bills played-around with Epenesa's weight.  Unless they're planning on doing the same with GR, it's not the same situation.  There was also the lack of OTAs, minicamps and pre-season games.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah but the Bills played-around with Epenesa's weight.  Unless they're planning on doing the same with GR, it's not the same situation.  There was also the lack of OTAs, minicamps and pre-season games.

There is definitely a difference between. These two situations and players. Epenesa really was the opposite of Rousseau. He had a ton of college experience. He just had no nfl ramp up period. 

• Agree 1

On 5/16/2021 at 2:47 AM, Billy Claude said:

If you read the article, what Trapasso meant by a redshirt year for Rousseau is a year similar to what Epenesa had, i.e., very limited playing time at the beginning of the season and maybe only a couple of games where he plays 30 snaps at the end of the season.  I hope he plays a bigger role than that, but nothing to be outraged about.

Haha read the article. You must be new here.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, QCity said:

Haha read the article. You must be new here.

Trapasso is not clear what is meant by "redshirt" and I think his definition for qbs is different than for other positions, but why spent all that time talking about what the Bills did with Epenesa if that is not the model?

One thing for sure is that he definitely did not mean the pre-2018 NCAA definition of zero snaps.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Actually, even if you got yeomen production out of Epenesa, it would still be a good pick. 

A yeoman DL of the likes of Murphy or Jefferson type is about a $10mill hit.  So Epenesa, at what $2mill, is a bargain.  This is where the money for Josh comes from.

I agree.  It just seems like the Bills drafted for long term positional and fiscal need.  The defensive philosophy is predicated on pressure from the front four and quality defensive linemen who can pass rush are the most expensive FA players (next to rarely available QBs).  So there’s logic to what the Bills are doing, but I just don’t like the odds of players like GR (and Oweh for that matter) developing.  

Edited by BarleyNY

On 5/15/2021 at 8:33 PM, Augie said:

Wait, that’s what I said, but you disagreed. Am I missing something? I say let him get reps preseason and in every situation that makes sense when the bullets fly for real. His ceiling is TBD. He is.....”different”, in a good way I think. 

His ceiling is Two Bills Drive? Poor lad.

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I agree.  It just seems like the Bills drafted for long term positional and fiscal need.  The defensive philosophy is predicated on pressure from the front four and quality defensive linemen who can pass rush are the most expensive FA players (next to rarely available QBs).  So there’s logic to what the Bills are doing, but I just don’t like the odds of players like GR (and Oweh for that matter) developing.  

I think with Rousseau the Bills got both fiscal and star potential.  An extremely tall, huge wing span, huge handed DLineman.  The physical tools are all there.  And he had production.

I can see why the FO took him.  Rousseau has the potential to be a top 10ish kind of DL.  The type you would like to be able to offer some guaranteed cash for a reasonably priced extension before he hits the open market.

Boogie and Epenesa seem more like good, solid, fiscal moves.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I think with Rousseau the Bills got both fiscal and star potential.  An extremely tall, huge wing span, huge handed DLineman.  The physical tools are all there.  And he had production.

I can see why the FO took him.  Rousseau has the potential to be a top 10ish kind of DL.  The type you would like to be able to offer some guaranteed cash for a reasonably priced extension before he hits the open market.

Boogie and Epenesa seem more like good, solid, fiscal moves.

Yeah.  I definitely think Rousseau is a swing for the fences boom or bust type.  In a few years there isn’t going to be any hand wringing about whether or not he gets his fifth year option/second contract. He either will be a star and here long term or bust and will be gone.

Also agree on Boogie and Epenesa.  Lower ceiling/higher floor types of prospects - especially Boogie.  They should be both be solid to very good players, but neither is going to be elite. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

There is definitely a difference between. These two situations and players. Epenesa really was the opposite of Rousseau. He had a ton of college experience. He just had no nfl ramp up period. 

I just think that some NFL evaluators are telling you there isn't much of a difference ultimately between Rousseau and Epenesa in terms of talent. 

They seem to be pointing out that they tend to win on hustle plays and pass rush against weaker players, neither one has proven variety of moves or snap reaction or speed. 

Neither profiles as a #1 Pass Rusher in the NFL, as both seem to be 3-8 sack kind of guys. 

Which again, Sal Capaccio demonstrated, that this is most likely what you're going to get when you take DEs beyond pick 25. 

37 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I just think that some NFL evaluators are telling you there isn't much of a difference ultimately between Rousseau and Epenesa in terms of talent. 

They seem to be pointing out that they tend to win on hustle plays and pass rush against weaker players, neither one has proven variety of moves or snap reaction or speed. 

Neither profiles as a #1 Pass Rusher in the NFL, as both seem to be 3-8 sack kind of guys. 

Which again, Sal Capaccio demonstrated, that this is most likely what you're going to get when you take DEs beyond pick 25. 

That’s an interesting discussion because for kicks and giggles I just looked up this past years sack leaders and the majority of the top 10 DE sack leaders were in fact drafted beyond pick # 25. I’m not sure what stats Capaccio is referring to when he makes his claim.

1 hour ago, Ta111 said:

That’s an interesting discussion because for kicks and giggles I just looked up this past years sack leaders and the majority of the top 10 DE sack leaders were in fact drafted beyond pick # 25. I’m not sure what stats Capaccio is referring to when he makes his claim.

Year One. 

That's the qualifier. 

Still, looking at the names on that list, not many of them turned into DE #1's. 

Here is the original Tweet:

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1