Does Gregory Rousseau need "redshirt" year?

3 hours ago, Success said:

Not a chance.  He'll be a rotation guy, and I could see him becoming more of a "regular" as the season progresses.

That does seem to be the "M.O." for McDermott when dealing with his younger lineman 

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2021-nfl-draft-marquee-rookies-who-need-a-redshirt-year-with-trey-lance-and-gregory-rousseau-leading-way/

Clearly CBS opinion writer "Chris Trapasso" including him on his list of players needing "redshirt" years is colored by his mock draft.

On a team which did not rotate defense line as much as Bills did it would be different.

I certainly would not have picked him for I dislike teams even drafting juniors but I do not see why Bills would not use him in a rotation without an injury in camp putting him on IR.  Bills can choose to put him in situations where he will able to contribute and get real snaps to learn.  And I disagree with his assessment of his production which he does not say but means sacks.

[NOTE: I do think NFL should continue with IR policy of last year.  Players were kept who would have been released with injury designations in other years.]

Why is sitting on the bench going to speed up his growth. The dude had 15sacks in his first year EVER at def end. He's as raw as it gets, missed last year. Start him slow and his playing time should pick up mid-season. This is a really dumb take if you ask me

I can see Rousseau getting about 30-35% reps by season end. He is raw and a year out, but by week 10 or so, no reason to not count on him in the DE rotation.

I wasn't thrilled with the pick, but he is a Bill now and I want him to succeed. His good comps are a Cam Wakefield type player. That would be aok with me.

Boogie Basham will probably see more snaps early, he is more polished, but I can see Rousseau getting snaps due to injury or fatigue by Addison and Hughes by the season end. The bye week is in week 7, very early in a 17 game season.

He'll be a role player in his first year, and the size of his role will be adjusted by what he can do on the field.  AJ Epenesa had much the same experience last year.  As he adjusted to the pro game and learned some things, his role grew.  

I see many of the same concerns, but at the same time, he seems to close very quickly putting it into a gear he doesn't look like he has. Then once he's near you, with that frame, it's over. Really not all that different than Epenesa in the sense that I don't we see him as ready at the start of the year, but by middle, late, he very well could be contributing. 

4 hours ago, Putin said:

I was not a huge fan of taking Gregg Rousseau with our 30th pick , now I’m not going to sit here and say that Rousseau will be our next Bruce Smith , But I sure as hell trust  Bean and his entire scouting team  who have been working & doing their homework for almost a year then I do some CBS writer , 

I like Rousseau and think he has a lot of talent. With that said, I can understand where some people might have trust issues with Beane. There is no doubt Beane and company can evaluate QBs, CBs, WRs, OLs, K, and maybe a few others. But the jury is still out on RBs, DEs, and DTs. We have gone through drafts and FAs, and it’s still a weak point on our team. Overall I trust Beane and McD, so I hope they can hit on those positions as well. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo619 said:

Didn't this guy opt out of last season. That flaw alone should have been a huge STOP sign. 

I was surprised they picked him at 30, let’s hope the risk pays off. 

But why though? His mother is a healthcare worker and he probably felt this was his way to help alleviate a global problem seeming how I’m sure his mother dealt with the agony and pain head on. I can’t fault people for trying to help reduce the spread of a serious illness. 

Can we stop over analyzing our draft picks before they hit the field?  Geezus, it’s like never ending stuff around here by people who don’t like the pick.  

Let this kid get on the field.  He played DE one year and he had mostly better stats across the board than Chase Young did that same year outside of one less sack.  

He clearly had potential, just like anyone we would have picked at 30.  There is no such thing as a “sure thing” in any draft in any sport, and it’s even way less likely when picking at the bottom of the first.

And why were we picking at the end of the first?  Because Beane and McD clearly know something about football and built a powerhouse in 3 years.  So let the kid play and see what our staff saw in him for him to be their target the whole time.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Beane vs. Trapasso. Hmmmm, who to trust on football talent? Really tough call. I'll have to ponder this one tonight. 

If Trapasso had our 1st rounder as a 4th rounder on his board, he needs to stop drawing up a draft board.  Years ago I used to draw up my own draft board. After I "drafted" JP Losman with pick 13 in 2004 and had Tom Brady on what I called "The Bust Board" in 2000, I reaiized it was time for me to just stop making a draft board.  It's getting time for Trapasso to come to the same concluson.  

Here's something I found from Trapasso from 2018:

Chris Trapasso

@ChrisTrapasso

Because QB prospects are apparently the talk of today. A reminder of my current rankings: Mason Rudolph [small space] Lamar Jackson [one prospect] Josh Rosen [small space] Sam Darnold [sizable space] Baker Mayfield [two rounds] Josh Allen

2:33 PM · Feb 19, 2018·Twitter for iPhone

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

There were guys who dressed at De on game day for there special teams ability.  They got in rotation.  At worst Rousseau is a massive upgrade over them.  I think he has a chance to push Addison, and Epenesa for ligitament playing time.

3 hours ago, Trogdor said:

but he needed a redshirt year...Josh needed 2 years to get up to speed. DE is tough and it will take time to learn the correct moves and how to use his hands. 

Yeah, Josh would have gotten a redshirt year if not for the problems at QB.

But DE and QB are wildly different positions. QB is immenself cerebral. DE also has stuff guys have to know, but nothing like QB.

Redshirt years make sense in some situations with some guys but much more so at QB than DE. You don't see many platoon quarterbacks other than a guy like Taysom Hill in his earlier years when he was the running QB. The article's wacky. He might need a slow start if the coaches think so, but certainly not a redshirt year.

I don't want to beat up Trapasso too much because I also see Rousseau as a long-term project.   But I think its odd he's so critical of Rousseau's game tape and says Rousseau didn't win one-on-one battles.  Trapasso never explains how Rousseau was so damned productive if he was so poorly skilled.  It seems to me Trapasso clearly saw Roussea's shortcomings but is blind to his strengths.  

I knew next to nothing about Rousseau when we picked him so I quickly got on Youtube and watched some highlights.  What I saw was a raw, tall, gangly kid.  But I also saw a young player who was clearly more athletic than the guys trying to block him.  Roussea earned his sacks & pressures every way possible: by speed, by power, by persistence.  

I thought Rousseau's unpolished skill set was understandable given his youth and newness to the position.  In 2017, he was a high school safety and WR.  In 2019, he was terrorizing college QBs playing on the defensive line.  His rawness didn't bother me at all under the circumstances.  

What did bother me was Rousseau's disappointing pro day numbers.  Normally, I'd expect a 1st rounder to excel both on the playing and the practice field.   I'm not sure Rousseau possesses - right now - the strength and agility to excel in the NFL.  But he's just 21 and took a year off for Covid so its hard to tell how much stronger and better he can become.  

In the end, I agree with what others have said: I trust Beane and our scouts more than I trust Trapasso.  And I can't imagine McD not giving Rousseau reps in the rotation.  

• Like (+1) 1

He will get about 15 snaps a game in obvious pass rush situations for the first four games. If he shows promise he will get more snaps.  The question will be will that be at the expense of Epenesa or Addison?  My hunch is Addison is a healthy scratch after the bye week and they go with the young guys.  Addison might make a playoff return because McD will want a veteran presence.

If you read the article, what Trapasso meant by a redshirt year for Rousseau is a year similar to what Epenesa had, i.e., very limited playing time at the beginning of the season and maybe only a couple of games where he plays 30 snaps at the end of the season.  I hope he plays a bigger role than that, but nothing to be outraged about.

Edited by Billy Claude