Does Gregory Rousseau need "redshirt" year?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2021-nfl-draft-marquee-rookies-who-need-a-redshirt-year-with-trey-lance-and-gregory-rousseau-leading-way/

Clearly CBS opinion writer "Chris Trapasso" including him on his list of players needing "redshirt" years is colored by his mock draft.

On a team which did not rotate defense line as much as Bills did it would be different.

Rousseau was a fourth-round prospect on my board, and the Bills picked him at No. 30 overall. Why was I so low on the Miami rusher who recorded 15.5 sacks as a redshirt freshman in 2019? Despite freaky length, I didn't see high-end pass-rushing traits -- minimal sustained speed, bad power due to height, and almost nonexistent hand work. And much of the production wasn't due to one-on-one victories. 

I certainly would not have picked him for I dislike teams even drafting juniors but I do not see why Bills would not use him in a rotation without an injury in camp putting him on IR.  Bills can choose to put him in situations where he will able to contribute and get real snaps to learn.  And I disagree with his assessment of his production which he does not say but means sacks.

[NOTE: I do think NFL should continue with IR policy of last year.  Players were kept who would have been released with injury designations in other years.]

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I was not a huge fan of taking Gregg Rousseau with our 30th pick , now I’m not going to sit here and say that Rousseau will be our next Bruce Smith , But I sure as hell trust  Bean and his entire scouting team  who have been working & doing their homework for almost a year then I do some CBS writer , 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2021-nfl-draft-marquee-rookies-who-need-a-redshirt-year-with-trey-lance-and-gregory-rousseau-leading-way/

Clearly CBS opinion writer "Chris Trapasso" including him on his list of players needing "redshirt" years is colored by his mock draft.

On a team which did not rotate defense line as much as Bills did it would be different.

I certainly would not have picked him for I dislike teams even drafting juniors but I do not see why Bills would not use him in a rotation without an injury in camp putting him on IR.  Bills can choose to put him in situations where he will able to contribute and get real snaps to learn.  And I disagree with his assessment of his production which he does not say but means sacks.

[NOTE: I do think NFL should continue with IR policy of last year.  Players were kept who would have been released with injury designations in other years.]

He will learn by PLAYING! This guy has only been a DE for a little while. He’s been a DB and WR  for goodness sake! No “redshirting”, he did that last year.  Put him in when the situation warrants. I keep hearing he doesn’t have the “skills” or “traits”, but what he DID have was 15.5 sacks! 

P.S. - I refused to click. I had seen enough. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think QB is the only position where a redshirt year was considered normal, but over the past decade starting a rookie QB day one has become the expectation. 

If a DE can't be rotated in on pass rushing situations after being taken in the first round (barring injury) then something is wrong. Rousseau may have only played one full year in college, but that's exactly why he needs more reps. There's only so much you can learn on the practice field and in the film room.

If Josh Allen hadn't been thrown into the fire year one, I don't think he would be where he is right now. Rookies are valuable because they are young and cheaper than free agents.

I would rather put a guy out there who will make mistakes at times than a veteran who is past his prime and won't be here next season. I believe the trio of Rousseau, Basham, and Epenesa will be getting the majority of the reps by mid-season over Hughes/Addison/Odaba (if we even keep all three)

Edited by Allen2Diggs
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, scuba guy said:

As they say in basketball you can't teach height it is a given.

And you can't teach desire or measure it.

They still say the same things about Josh.

How many mvp votes did he get last year

but he needed a redshirt year...Josh needed 2 years to get up to speed. DE is tough and it will take time to learn the correct moves and how to use his hands. 

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Putin said:

I was not a huge fan of taking Gregg Rousseau with our 30th pick , now I’m not going to sit here and say that Rousseau will be our next Bruce Smith , But I sure as hell trust  Bean and his entire scouting team  who have been working & doing their homework for almost a year then I do some CBS writer , 

I agree with you.  Having watched several of the Miami games from 2019, he was pretty impressive.  Whether or not he is up to the rigors of an NFL schedule remains to be seen.  I believe his snap count and rotation will reflect his physical readiness to play.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He needs to play, work on his craft and improve.

Wait, that’s what I said, but you disagreed. Am I missing something? I say let him get reps preseason and in every situation that makes sense when the bullets fly for real. His ceiling is TBD. He is.....”different”, in a good way I think. 

• Like (+1) 1