Questions for former players???

major

10 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

To Doug Flutie, why is it most teams toss you aside after three seasons? If you were as great as you think you are I'd think they'd want to keep you longer.

I don't think he ever thought he was great but he knew he was better than Johnson. In fact, we all knew it

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I don't think he ever thought he was great but he knew he was better than Johnson. In fact, we all knew it

If you ever watch him interview he's always jaded or talks of his greatness and how he was a victim etc. He was a glorified game manager in 1999.

All joking aside, I would like to know the detailed night life events of the key Bills players the night before our Super Bowls, with emphasis on the first 2.

I have always assumed our best players were somewhat hungover for those games and in no way fit to play their best game.

If only they could have saved the damned celebrating until the season was over.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

If you ever watch him interview he's always jaded or talks of his greatness and how he was a victim etc. He was a glorified game manager in 1999.

He never said he was great. He was always touted as a "miracle man". Not saying he was. He did get treated unfairly a lot when it came to certain things. I remember that he talked about how his college coach basically did the same to him that Wade did. Boston College was playing in a big game and Flutie got them to that point. He was told he wasn't gonna play in the game. The coach benched the guy he played over Flutie during the game and then asked Flutie to go back in with like 5 minutes in the game down 2 scores. It wasn't really a fair situation. He was one of the greatest Canadian football players of all time. Possibly "the" greatest. He was a 6 time MVP and 3 time gray cup winner. He had a really good year in 98 and didn't play all that great in 99 but definitely didn't deserve to be benched in the playoffs. He was also pretty good in the 5 games he started in 2000. 

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

He never said he was great. He was always touted as a "miracle man". Not saying he was. He did get treated unfairly a lot when it came to certain things. I remember that he talked about how his college coach basically did the same to him that Wade did. Boston College was playing in a big game and Flutie got them to that point. He was told he wasn't gonna play in the game. The coach benched the guy he played over Flutie during the game and then asked Flutie to go back in with like 5 minutes in the game down 2 scores. It wasn't really a fair situation. He was one of the greatest Canadian football players of all time. Possibly "the" greatest. He was a 6 time MVP and 3 time gray cup winner. He had a really good year in 98 and didn't play all that great in 99 but definitely didn't deserve to be benched in the playoffs. He was also pretty good in the 5 games he started in 2000. 

I believe there was a quote from Flutie when he left that said essentially something like I might not be the best QB in the NFL but you can't tell me I'm not better than that guy.

I would like to ask Eric Moulds what what he thought of Johnson vs. Flutie.

1 minute ago, Billy Claude said:

I believe there was a quote from Flutie when he left that said essentially something like I might not be the best QB in the NFL but you can't tell me I'm not better than that guy.

I would like to ask Eric Moulds what what he thought of Johnson vs. Flutie.

Yes, exactly. Not the best QB in the NFL but he was definitely better than Johnson. I had no issue with him saying something like that. The guy won 21 of his 30 starts with us. Our excuse in 2001 when we kept Johnson over Flutie was "we would have went 3-13 with either one of them". The 2001 team wasn't that much different than the 2000 team. Flutie went 4-1 in 5 starts that season. Johnson went 4-7. There's no way you can convince me that we aren't at least .500 with Flutie in 01 than the 3-13 we went with Johnson/Van Pelt

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

I wish there was a "questions for former refs" thread. I have a few

"You're retired now, was it really a legal lateral?

"Come on, how much did Belichick really pay you guys? Off the record"

And if the ref said yes it really was a legal lateral (and it was), you would just accuse him of lying.

Bloody get over it already.

• Eyeroll 2

41 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

And if the ref said yes it really was a legal lateral (and it was), you would just accuse him of lying.

Bloody get over it already.

I'm not saying I would argue with him. I would just ask what his answer would be. I would like to hear his analysis in detail. I've been over it for a long time. Relax man

3 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Yes, exactly. Not the best QB in the NFL but he was definitely better than Johnson. I had no issue with him saying something like that. The guy won 21 of his 30 starts with us. Our excuse in 2001 when we kept Johnson over Flutie was "we would have went 3-13 with either one of them". The 2001 team wasn't that much different than the 2000 team. Flutie went 4-1 in 5 starts that season. Johnson went 4-7. There's no way you can convince me that we aren't at least .500 with Flutie in 01 than the 3-13 we went with Johnson/Van Pelt

There’s a lot of posters who really don’t like Flutie as a person. I’m shocked how many people have such a strong opinion. I’m not sure if all those people knew him on a personal level, or it’s just assumptions. I’ve seen a lot of bad takes because of it, with people acting like the Flutie vs Johnson battle was a close race. Most reasonable people understand that Flutie wasn’t an elite QB, but they should also know that Johnson was total garbage. It’s just a bad football take to claim Johnson was close to Flutie as a QB. 

57 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

There’s a lot of posters who really don’t like Flutie as a person. I’m shocked how many people have such a strong opinion. I’m not sure if all those people knew him on a personal level, or it’s just assumptions. I’ve seen a lot of bad takes because of it, with people acting like the Flutie vs Johnson battle was a close race. Most reasonable people understand that Flutie wasn’t an elite QB, but they should also know that Johnson was total garbage. It’s just a bad football take to claim Johnson was close to Flutie as a QB. 

Flutie was very vocal with the media. I've seen him be vocal with media members a few times but I wouldn't call it as him being arrogant or only liking himself. He just said what other people didn't want to say or didn't want to hear. He didn't dance around the question with his answers. I agreed with most of what he said. And lots of people say that they don't like him because he "undermined Johnson". Again, I don't care about that. He proved it on the field. If he said what he said and never won or wasn't any better than Johnson, then I would understand. The guy won 21 of 30 starts with us and took us to the playoffs 2 of the 3 years he was here. Johnson doesn't do that. Flutie is a QB we could have won a Super Bowl with in 99. Granted, we had the #1 defense in the league which helped. But with Johnson, there's not even a chance we get to the playoffs. Flutie won 3 grey cups in Canada. No doubt we could have beaten the Rams with him in that SB

• Agree 2

All kidding aside as we’ve fun with this one, Flutie would’ve won that game.  You can hate him, whatever, but our defense was punishing.  Ralph made the call we needed a guy with a big arm in that game, even though Flutie won us 10 that season.  He would’ve done just enough to win it.  The Rams had never faced a defense like us then.  We were better than just about any defense we’ve put up since I was a toddler in the mid 70’s.  

we couldve beat the daylights out in the old rules of Bruce and Holt, amd big old teddy Washington and Paul would’ve pummeled Faulk.

ralph screwed that team.  NFLR yesterday asked what coach did any team fire that screwed the team.  The answer beyond Chandler who would say Lou Saban and he’s right, but Wade.  You can say he’s folksy, but he kept the gang together when the stars were getting older.  We could’ve had one last ride had it not been for Ralph and the rob don johnson thing.

im not saying Flutie was the future as he wasn’t at all, but he could’ve helped in that game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Flutie was very vocal with the media. I've seen him be vocal with media members a few times but I wouldn't call it as him being arrogant or only liking himself. He just said what other people didn't want to say or didn't want to hear. He didn't dance around the question with his answers. I agreed with most of what he said. And lots of people say that they don't like him because he "undermined Johnson". Again, I don't care about that. He proved it on the field. If he said what he said and never won or wasn't any better than Johnson, then I would understand. The guy won 21 of 30 starts with us and took us to the playoffs 2 of the 3 years he was here. Johnson doesn't do that. Flutie is a QB we could have won a Super Bowl with in 99. Granted, we had the #1 defense in the league which helped. But with Johnson, there's not even a chance we get to the playoffs. Flutie won 3 grey cups in Canada. No doubt we could have beaten the Rams with him in that SB

I always felt some of the hatred was a reaction to overzealous newbie Canadian fans who flet that Flutie could do no wrong.  

8 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

I always felt some of the hatred was a reaction to overzealous newbie Canadian fans who flet that Flutie could do no wrong.  

Well, the guy was probably the greatest Canadian football player ever. So, I can see why they would think that way. Obviously, he wasn't AS good in the NFL but he wasn't bad enough to deserve the hatred he gets from a lot of fans here. He was the best QB we had post Kelly up until Allen got here and honestly until Allen got here, Flutie made the games the most exciting. I finally feel that excitement again with Allen because he is an exciting player. Much better Obviously, but I'm hlad to know that excitement will be here a lot longer this time