How to Play Cover 2

The Cover 2 has been around for a long while so there's nothing new here.  But what makes this video seriously dated, at least far as it pertains to Edmunds, is that it depicts a 4-3 defense.  NFL teams infrequently line up in a 4-3 anymore.  

I read somewhere that NFL defenses used 3 or more LBs on only 24% of plays last season.  That amazes me.  I remember the old debates about the pros and cons of a 4-3 versus a 3-4.  Not we're seeing only 1 or 2 LBs on the field on most plays. 

I'm guessing the 4-2-5 Nickel is the most common defense in the NFL right now.  If I'm not mistaken, the Chiefs most common defensive alignment in the AFC Championship game against us was the 4-1-6.  

Edmunds is going to have different responsibilities in a 4-2-5 than a 4-3.   

• Like (+1) 1

Just watch the games. Edmunds drops into space and makes almost no plays. He has no instincts of where to flow in the run or pass defense.  Just running backwards and occupying space is not enough.  No doubt he helps protect the deep middle and let's the safeties cheat to the boundary some. But as others said the Bills rarely play a straight Tampa 2 defense. 

The Bills need more from Edmunds if they want to get back to being an elite defense. He is not th biggest issue on defense but he is a flashpoint because he plays the middle, he is a first round pick that has not played as well as others in his draft class, he is still young and might improve, he had a legit injury that no one on this board truly knows how much it affected his play, and he is going to look for a high dollar extension.

• Agree 1