Marino vs Kelly

Just now, prissythecat said:

Typically, someone is not kept on a roster for several seasons unless they are somehow "productive"    Keep digging that hole.  You are doing great

Wow you sound mad. I’m sorry was one of those guys your uncle or something? This is getting weird

• Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Put Kelly in Miami and he’d have comparable stats to Marino. If Miami would have drafted him he wouldn’t have gone to the USFL. In Houston he threw for a million yards throwing to guys who worked in factories during the week

Not true Kelly had some good WRs in Houston as future Washington Redskins wide receiver Ricky Sanders, future Detroit Lions wide receiver Richard Johnson, future Indianapolis Colts kick returner Clarence Verdin, and future Cleveland Browns wide receiver Gerald McNeil all played with him in the USFL.

18 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Not true Kelly had some good WRs in Houston as future Washington Redskins wide receiver Ricky Sanders, future Detroit Lions wide receiver Richard Johnson, future Indianapolis Colts kick returner Clarence Verdin, and future Cleveland Browns wide receiver Gerald McNeil all played with him in the USFL.

Ok thanks I edited my original post

5 hours ago, Real McNasty said:

We'll never know what Marino could have done with several HOF players supporting him on O and D like Kelly had. 

^^^^^ THIS!!

Marino had all world talent and was a superior thrower of the football. His supporting cast was nowhere near what Jim had around him. That being said, Kelly was the perfect field general for the Bills offense which was built and schemed  specifically for him and the talent around him. Marino had a bunch of "good" players tossed together and Miami just said make it work Dan!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 5/14/2021 at 6:53 AM, Don Otreply said:

Marino was maybe a better passer, but he sure as hell wasn’t a better QB.

I disagree, Marino was a better QB. Shula and company never put a decent team around him after the 84 season and he never had a 1,000 yard rusher to help take some pressure off of him. Don’t get me wrong I loved Kelly but Marino was an overall better passer and QB than Kelly was. 

On 5/14/2021 at 5:53 PM, ColeB said:

But...but...he had the great Tony Nathan at the start of his career!

Nathan was pretty much near the end of his career when Marino got there. Also Nathan was a better catcher out of the backfield than a straight down hill runner. Shula ran the hell out of him when he only had the Woodstrock combo at QB and they would only throw 9-10 times a game.

21 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

^^^^^ THIS!!

Marino had all world talent and was a superior thrower of the football. His supporting cast was nowhere near what Jim had around him. That being said, Kelly was the perfect field general for the Bills offense which was built and schemed  specifically for him and the talent around him. Marino had a bunch of "good" players tossed together and Miami just said make it work Dan!

Would’ve, could’ve, should’ve… didn’t.

Great regular season QB though…. and he will always have Ace Ventura Pet Detective.

Edited by Rico

On 5/14/2021 at 9:53 AM, Don Otreply said:

Marino was maybe a better passer, but he sure as hell wasn’t a better QB.

Yeah this is about where I'm at. Marino had that quick release and strong arm. Kelly may not have had quite as strong of an arm but he definitely did not have a weak arm either. Kelly had the legs more than Marino. Both QB's were great in their time and fought many battles against each other. A true rivalry. 

Hard to say which was actually better. Looking at the 4 S.B appearances then you could say Kelly, on other hand if looking at passing yards you could say Marino. A toss up to me. Too close to call...l.

43 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I disagree, Marino was a better QB. Shula and company never put a decent team around him after the 84 season and he never had a 1,000 yard rusher to help take some pressure off of him. Don’t get me wrong I loved Kelly but Marino was an overall better passer and QB than Kelly was. 

No he wasn’t, 😁

55 minutes ago, Rico said:

Would’ve, could’ve, should’ve… didn’t.

Great regular season QB though…. and he will always have Ace Ventura Pet Detective.

Wow.

I guess during sport conversations you 💩 all over guys like,

Barry Sanders

Calvin Johnson

Warren Moon

Eric Dickerson

Fran Tarkenton

Dan Fouts

Randy Moss.....

Personally you don't have to like him but as a player you have to respect him. Other greats do and he earned it as well.

8 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Wow.

I guess during sport conversations you 💩 all over guys like,

Barry Sanders

Calvin Johnson

Warren Moon

Eric Dickerson

Fran Tarkenton

Dan Fouts

Randy Moss.....

Personally you don't have to like him but as a player you have to respect him. Other greats do and he earned it as well.

All very good-to-great players, but remember that this is the NFL where stats are for losers. As such, when it comes to best of the best QB, Moon, Tarkenton, Fouts, and Marino are not close to the top IMO. They can not touch Brady, Montana, or Graham. Sometimes life isn’t fair. 

13 minutes ago, Rico said:

All very good-to-great players, but remember that this is the NFL where stats are for losers. As such, when it comes to best of the best QB, Moon, Tarkenton, Fouts, and Marino are not close to the top IMO. They can not touch Brady, Montana, or Graham. Sometimes life isn’t fair. 

I doubt Jim, Marino and Fouts are looking at Flacco, Dilfer, Rypien, B. Johnson and Foles thinking I wish I had his career. From a "QB" perspective I guess you're right. Fair or not it's about the bling when it comes to the position. Yes, it's a team sport but QBs get all the credit when it's great and all the blame when it sucks. 

Like you said, at least he's got Ace Ventura on the resume.

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

I doubt Jim, Marino and Fouts are looking at Flacco, Dilfer, Rypien, B. Johnson and Foles thinking I wish I had his career. From a "QB" perspective I guess you're right. Fair or not it's about the bling when it comes to the position. Yes, it's a team sport but QBs get all the credit when it's great and all the blame when it sucks. 

Like you said, at least he's got Ace Ventura on the resume.

That's true, but regarding that Ravens Super Bowl win with Dilfer at QB, Ray lewis and that Defense got the credit. That's all was talked about back then was their Defense. Hardly ever heard Dilfer's name and rightfully so since imo.

I would say that was 1 example where the QB didn't get all the credit.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

On 5/14/2021 at 1:41 PM, mjt328 said:

Throw for throw, Dan Marino was definitely a better quarterback.  But Jim Kelly was a significantly better leader, and a master at dissecting a defense at the line of scrimmage.  As strange as it sounds, I don't think the Bills have the same success with Marino under center.

It's like comparing Peyton Manning to Tom Brady.  Or Steve Young to Joe Montana.

In my opinion, Manning/Young were better QBs in a head-to-head comparison.  But there is an art to winning big games, and there is something Brady/Montana possess that is above anyone else who every played.

Yes.....cheating.

1 hour ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

That's true, but regarding that Ravens Super Bowl win with Dilfer at QB, Ray lewis and that Defense got the credit. That's all was talked about back then was their Defense. Hardly ever heard Dilfer's name and rightfully so since imo.

I would say that was 1 example where the QB didn't get all the credit.

The same holds true for the Bucs in 02.  Brad Johnson is not exactly going into the record books.  That was an incredible defense.  Sucks as we were just as good as them in the late 90’s and Donahue blew it.

27 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

The same holds true for the Bucs in 02.  Brad Johnson is not exactly going into the record books.  That was an incredible defense.  Sucks as we were just as good as them in the late 90’s and Donahue blew it.

yup, forgot about Brad Johnson and the Bucs D. Another good example.