Marino vs Kelly

Put Kelly in Miami and he’d have comparable stats to Marino. If Miami would have drafted him he wouldn’t have gone to the USFL. In Houston he threw for a million yards throwing to guys who should have made the Pro Football Hall of Fame

Edited by Brennan Huff
  • Agree 1

On 5/14/2021 at 10:42 AM, Freddie's Dead said:

When I went to Fish games at Rich Stadium, I would yell, "You blowwwwwwwwww, Marinoooooooooooo".  He was a good QB, but he could never get over the hump against Buffalo.    

Marino was terrified of Bruce Smith. He’d just fling the ball downfield and hope his guys caught it when he saw 78 out of the corner of his eye.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

You literally said Marino sucked in your OP.

Where did he say that? I don't see it in this thread. In his locked thread's OP this is literally the first line of his post

Who was the better quarterback Kelly or Marino? They both were great players

The guy has definitely started some VERY weak threads, but I don't see where he said  Marino sucks or wasn't a good passer.

3 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Put Kelly in Miami and he’d have comparable stats to Marino. If Miami would have drafted him he wouldn’t have gone to the USFL. In Houston he threw for a million yards throwing to guys who worked in factories during the week

Didn't all those guys end up playing in the NFL for a number of years?  They weren't exactly no names.  

6 hours ago, The Dean said:

Where did he say that? I don't see it in this thread. In his locked thread's OP this is literally the first line of his post

The guy has definitely started some VERY weak threads, but I don't see where he said  Marino sucks or wasn't a good passer.

Said Marino sucked because he only made it to one Super Bowl, which he lost.

1 hour ago, 1ManRaid said:

Said Marino sucked because he only made it to one Super Bowl, which he lost.

Where?  Not in this thread.

6 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

I never said in this thread.  In Tyler's original thread.

I posted this from his VERY FIRST comment from that thread.   

They both were great players

Now I'm not big on this guy, but I couldn't find one post where he said Marino sucked. Maybe I just missed it.

On 5/14/2021 at 1:27 PM, MJS said:

Marino is a douche.

So was kelly, what is your point?  As to who is better, I got to go with the guy who had the lightning quick release and the rocket arm that could squeeze the ball into the tightest of spaces, that is Marino.  & I loved Kelly, I have a wall in the bar in my basement dedicated just to him.  I was always shocked if you go around the country people did not hold Kelly in as high as regards as the good people of WNY.  I always found that interesting because I that Kelly was amazing.  But marino was the better QB.  In my mind Marino is a top 5 qb right there with Brady/Manning/Brees/Montana.  Kelly doesnt even make the top 10.

21 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Put Kelly in Miami and he’d have comparable stats to Marino. If Miami would have drafted him he wouldn’t have gone to the USFL. In Houston he threw for a million yards throwing to guys who worked in factories during the week

That is a dumb statement, first a lot of those USFL guys went on to have productive NFL careers.  But second, using your logic the defenses he was going against werent exactly NFL caliber either.  

2 hours ago, Gordio said:

So was kelly, what is your point?  As to who is better, I got to go with the guy who had the lightning quick release and the rocket arm that could squeeze the ball into the tightest of spaces, that is Marino.  & I loved Kelly, I have a wall in the bar in my basement dedicated just to him.  I was always shocked if you go around the country people did not hold Kelly in as high as regards as the good people of WNY.  I always found that interesting because I that Kelly was amazing.  But marino was the better QB.  In my mind Marino is a top 5 qb right there with Brady/Manning/Brees/Montana.  Kelly doesnt even make the top 10.

Marino is in the conversation for top 5 regular season QBs.

3 hours ago, Gordio said:

That is a dumb statement, first a lot of those USFL guys went on to have productive NFL careers.  But second, using your logic the defenses he was going against werent exactly NFL caliber either.  

This is the definition of irony. Yeah Ricky Sanders turned out to be a productive receiver in the NFL, but the overwhelming majority of USFL players didn’t move on to the NFL. Now let’s argue about it some more without getting anywhere 

6 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

This is the definition of irony. Yeah Ricky Sanders turned out to be a productive receiver in the NFL, but the overwhelming majority of USFL players didn’t move on to the NFL. Now let’s argue about it some more without getting anywhere 

You claimed Kelly was gaining tons of yards throwing to scrubs .  But his receiving core of Gerald McNeil, Clarence Verdin, Richard Johnson and Ricky Sanders all went on to have NFL careers after the USFL folded.    So your argument kind of falls flat.  On the Bills ,  Kelly benefited greatly from having a strong running game.   Marino never had that.    There is a reason why Marino tends to appear on  lists of the top 10 NFL QBs of all time while Kelly does not.

3 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

You claimed Kelly was gaining tons of yards throwing to scrubs .  But his receiving core of Gerald McNeil, Clarence Verdin, Richard Johnson and Ricky Sanders all went on to have NFL careers after the USFL folded.    So your argument kind of falls flat.  On the Bills ,  Kelly benefited greatly from having a strong running game.   Marino never had that.    There is a reason why Marino tends to appear on  lists of the top 10 NFL QBs of all time while Kelly does not.

No, you originally said “productive” careers 

Edit: sorry that wasn’t you. But yeah besides Sanders, none of those guys did anything in the NFL

Edited by Brennan Huff

2 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

No, you originally said “productive” careers 

Typically, someone is not kept on a roster for several seasons unless they are somehow "productive"    Keep digging that hole.  You are doing great

Edited by prissythecat