Marino vs Kelly

55 minutes ago, blitzboy54 said:

I'm as Buffalo as it comes but I don't think this is true. I wonder if we would have won some of those SB's with Marino. We had great defenses, special teams and better tight ends and a deeper WR corp AND runnings backs

He had Mark Duper

Our defenses got their asses kicked in the Super Bowls. Against the Giants they couldn't get the ball back to the offense. Wash and Dallas just physically manhandled them. Although the 9 turnovers or whatever it was in the 1st Dallas game didn't help. 

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Marino was maybe a better passer, but he sure as hell wasn’t a better QB.

And how many times did Kelly out class him in head to head matchups! Boom!

It triggers a memory of the Bills 49’s game in 1992! Kelly on all cylinders!

• Like (+1) 1

These comparisons are tough to make.  They played under different coaches with different casts of characters.  To draw parallels, Marino is more like Peyton Manning and Kelly is more like Brett Favre.  Both all-time greats, but different personalities and different kinds of players.  While I'd say that Marino was the better pure passer, Kelly was a better football player overall, and perhaps a better leader.

• Like (+1) 2

The only time Marino was on an AFC champion was when Kelly was in the USFL.  Once Kelly joined the Bills, Marino never got to another Super Bowl.  

Every time Dan Marino came close to the Super Bowl door, Kelly slammed it in his face.  

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

It blows my mind that they never got Marino a RB. They had no running game his entire career 

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

He had RBs but his fakes were terrible and RBs got tackled quickly making it ineffective.

Was at a bar called Greveys during Superbowl years and every time Marino was going to fake it bar patrons would yell fake before he did it.

He was better actor in commercials than on the field.  

The other issue was as in any game if they fell behind even as little as 4 points, then Marino would totally give up on even trying to run and just keep stepping back and throwing.  In the case of the Bills they had a strong enough pass rush and overall defense, than often would result in sacks or ints.

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

He had RBs but his fakes were terrible and RBs got tackled quickly making it ineffective.

Was at a bar called Greveys during Superbowl years and every time Marino was going to fake it bar patrons would yell fake before he did it.

He was better actor in commercials than on the field.  

I think this was likely Marino's biggest flaw--at least according to what  many Fins fans tell me. I admit, back then, I didn't pay much attention to Marino's impact on the running game.  But after a bit of reviewing some old video (no major research effort here) it seems as though he did telegraph running plays.

Marino was a much better passer. In other aspects Kelly was better, IMO. 

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

Kelly was great, but looking back on 4 super bowl losses, If we had a do over, I'd take Marino.

But be sure to also ask the Phins fans who together with Marino were owned by Kelly and never sniffed a SB once Kelly came to Buffalo…:doh:

4 hours ago, blitzboy54 said:

I'm as Buffalo as it comes but I don't think this is true. I wonder if we would have won some of those SB's with Marino. We had great defenses, special teams and better tight ends and a deeper WR corp AND runnings backs

He had Mark Duper

I'd have to agree with you. Kelly was great, and a perfect fit for Buffalo. But Marino is one of the all time greats (I still don't like him though).

• Like (+1) 1

ENevq8yWoAAYX7S.jpg

Booger wants to weigh in...

Dan Marino played at 6'4", while Jim Kelly was only 6'3", so Dan was actually 1 inch taller.

Dan and Jim also both played offense, so never actually played against each other at the same time, as one team's offense play against the other team's defense.