Marino vs Kelly

Marino was maybe a better passer, but he sure as hell wasn’t a better QB.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

Why is the Kelly vs Marino thread closed? 

I'm just trying to grasp the rules around here. 

Thanks. 

Because Dunkirk Don changed his screen name to that OP and is making frivolous posts left and right.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

ok got it. I'm not around enough to sniff out some of the troublemakers here. 

I thought it was an interesting topic with some thoughtful posts. would be nice to just freeze or ban posters who are not contributing with good intentions, while also deleting posts that do not further the conversation. 

6 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

Thanks. 

2 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

I dont think it was so much the thread subject as it was the OP who created it and his terrible history of posts. 

Yeah, what Bferra13 said.

So far his four threads that I can remember are...

- Telling us who Jim Kelly is.

- A thread simply saying "This is my first real post" and nothing else.

- Telling us what the Music City Miracle was.

- The Kelly vs Marino thread.

All written in the style of a semi-literate grade schooler's book report, and they never come back to the tread after posting it.  Seems like either a troll, or a kid with a developmental disability unable to understand forum rules.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I think this is where I stand, but I am 39 years old, so watched them as a pre teen and teen. Marino definitely seems to have the edge in skills. But I didn't know what I was watching enough to look at different intangibles, decision making, leadership, etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

Thanks. 

Because it's been discussed here hundreds of times over the years. No new info.

52 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I'm as Buffalo as it comes but I don't think this is true. I wonder if we would have won some of those SB's with Marino. We had great defenses, special teams and better tight ends and a deeper WR corp AND runnings backs

He had Mark Duper

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

It blows my mind that they never got Marino a RB. They had no running game his entire career 

He had RBs but his fakes were terrible and RBs got tackled quickly making it ineffective.

Was at a bar called Greveys during Superbowl years and every time Marino was going to fake it bar patrons would yell fake before he did it.

He was better actor in commercials than on the field.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Man with No Name said:

Thanks. 

I think Jim Kelly was a good QB and its not his fault we lost 4 consecutive super bowls.  Jim Kelly was a very good quarterback.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, blitzboy54 said:

I'm as Buffalo as it comes but I don't think this is true. I wonder if we would have won some of those SB's with Marino. We had great defenses, special teams and better tight ends and a deeper WR corp AND runnings backs

He had Mark Duper

We had guys recovering from hangovers, and were sadly out coached at critical points of games. That and Kelly routinely beat Marino over a long period of time. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, blitzboy54 said:

He had Mark Duper

So you are saying Bills had better front office.

Would strongly recommend re-visiting "The 4 Falls of Buffalo" as well as "Elway to Marino" and "Dan Marino" for some more in-depth storytelling on both of these HOFers and their respective on-field prowess. ESPN may rightfully be criticized for their coverage quality drop off on-air, but these  specials were on-point, and very well done, imho. 

https://www.espn.com/espnplus/catalog/f844e1d2-b60a-4205-9b5e-e583a6a08bf7/four-falls-of-buffalo

http://www.espn.com/30for30/film/_/page/elwaytomarino

https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/75bccd44-a4aa-43d4-b0c1-0fd19447395d?om-navmethod=espn%3Aglobalsearch%3Aresults

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Man with No Name said:

Thanks. 

no name, you say?

I see what you’ve done here Man Not Named tylerbillsfan33...

42 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

It blows my mind that they never got Marino a RB. They had no running game his entire career 

Yeah, they only had one 1,000 rusher during Marino's 17-year tenure there: 1996 with Karim Abdul-Jabbar with 1,116 yards.