First time in buffalo

On 5/18/2021 at 5:34 PM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I thought the garbage plate was a Rochester thang?

It is.  There's a few places in WNY that might have some variation of a garbage plate on their Menu but it's not a staple around here like finding Beef on Weck's and Stinger Subs.  I usually head up to Rochester a couple times every summer to play golf and we always try to grab a garbage plate somewhere when we go.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/18/2021 at 5:34 PM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I thought the garbage plate was a Rochester thang?

There was a place on Niagara street called George’s that had garbage plates . I’m surprised no restaurants have really marketed them in Buffalo. But yes I do believe they are a Rochester thing.

13 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

It is.  There's a few places in WNY that might have some variation of a garbage plate on their Menu but it's not a staple around here like finding Beef on Weck's and Stinger Subs.  I usually head up to Rochester a couple times every summer to play golf and we always try to grab a garbage plate somewhere when we go.

Unpopular opinion/Hot Take.

The Garbage Plate is not a thing. It is a conglomeration of ingredients. There is no unifying sauce, seasoning, flavor, or technique. Yours might be cheeseburger, pasta salad, french fries, and mustard. I might go with hashbrowns, hotdogs, mac and cheese, with ketchup and hot sauce. But Rochester steps up  and goes, "yup, both of those things you ordered, ours, they are the same, that is us, we own this "dish"". Rochester is in no mans land and they are just begging to be attached to something and the best they could come up with was this garbage plate. They only have minor league sports. They are too far away to be considered part of WNY. People don't totally affiliate them with the finger lakes, at least from outside the region. Syracuse does a little bit better job of that. Syracuse also has the Orange.

Flanking Rochester on either side of the 90 are two cities with some sort of national notoriety. An identity. A thing. The Garbage Plate is Rochester's stupid attempt to be "known for something" like the middle child acting out in school for attention. 

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Dislike 2

3 hours ago, Mango said:

The Garbage Plate is not a thing. It is a conglomeration of ingredients. There is no unifying sauce, seasoning, flavor, or technique. Yours might be cheeseburger, pasta salad, french fries, and mustard. I might go with hashbrowns, hotdogs, mac and cheese, with ketchup and hot sauce. But Rochester steps up  and goes, "yup, both of those things you ordered, ours, they are the same, that is us, we own this "dish"". Rochester is in no mans land and they are just begging to be attached to something and the best they could come up with was this garbage plate. They only have minor league sports. They are too far away to be considered part of WNY. People don't totally affiliate them with the finger lakes, at least from outside the region. Syracuse does a little bit better job of that. Syracuse also has the Orange.

Flanking Rochester on either side of the 90 are two cities with some sort of national notoriety. An identity. A thing. The Garbage Plate is Rochester's stupid attempt to be "known for something" like the middle child acting out in school for attention. 

I agree with you on the Garbage Plate but your geography needs a little work.  Even a casual glance at a NY State map would show that Rochester is a part of "Western NY".  I would also include Syracuse as the Eastern border of Western NY.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I agree with you on the Garbage Plate but your geography needs a little work.  Even a casual glance at a NY State map would show that Rochester is a part of "Western NY".  I would also include Syracuse as the Eastern border of Western NY.

It depends on where you look. Like the DEC, NYSED, and NYS Comptroller don't don't consider Rochester part of WNY. Which is sort of the point. Rochester is a bit homeless in terms of being firmly apart of a region. Here we are, debating where the hell Rochester belongs, and it is exactly why they are grasping so tight to the Garbage Plate. 

It is sort of like when your parents get remarried later in life to somebody with kids but you are sort of an adult. They are technically your stepbrother/sister. But also, they are just sort of people in your life by marriage, so not really. That is Rochester.

Nobody considers Syracuse part of WNY. At least nobody in Buffalo or Syracuse.

4 hours ago, Mango said:

There is the meat hot sauce on top which makes it. That is the defining flavor of a plate.  Its also a trademarked dish so while some joint may slap together mac and cheese, hashbrowns, and a hotdog and call it something like a trash or garbage pile, thats not a garbage plate.  Btw, I've never seen anything close to an abomination like that and I lived in Rochester for 30 years.

If you really want to go down this road and apply the same logic elsewhere we could discredit a lot of our favorite foods. 

- Buffalonians were hardly the first people or culture to deep fry a chicken wing.  Putting hot sauce and butter on it is some Michelin level technique right there.  What is the defining flavor? Oh right, a Louisiana style hot sauce.

- Beef on weck is a roast beef sandwich.  How many roast beef sandwiches existed before Buffalo slapped roast beef on an overly salty kaiser roll and called it their thing? 

- A chicago dog is a boiled hot dog but it has pickles and tomatoes on top. What a feat! 

- The Pittsburgh sandwich is just another sandwich except with effing french fries in it. 

- The LA staple the French dip. Somehow they figured out how to roast beef , perhaps stealing secret from buffalo?, and instead of slapping it on a salty roll they dip it in the braising liquid to make the bread wet and unstable.  Brilliant.

I'd rather just enjoy all these humble treats rather than focus on what they are not.

The first thing people actually associate Rochester with is Kodak which you might remember as being one of the most recognizable, iconic global brands of the 20th century.  Kodak was hand in hand with Coca-Cola on a world level.  Bausch & Lomb and Xerox were also synonymous with Rochester.  Now its Wegmans as those once proud companies have crumbled.  Syracuse is a "never ran" in this discussion.  Also, Syracuse is a shithole.  No one in Rochester is envious of Syracuse. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Chicharito said:

There was a place on Niagara street called George’s that had garbage plates . I’m surprised no restaurants have really marketed them in Buffalo. But yes I do believe they are a Rochester thing.

Yes it is the city has a competition every year to see who has the best,

Most votes just go to the one that advertisers the most.

Just like anchor bar

Nick Tahoe's was the first 

Really a plate is just 2 hots or hams macaroni and really greese home fries

Flash back 

When I was in college  we took the schools vans on training trips to Florida and the night before go at o dark thirty and eat one of those or 2.

The windows on the vans stayed rolled down the whole way there. The girls team did not ride with us ever again after that trip. Still makes me laugh 😅.

On 5/14/2021 at 10:04 AM, qwksilver said:

This topic comes up quite a bit. Someone put together a spread sheet for game day and it includes places to visit. I am terrible at using the search function, maybe someone else can post it.

Another staple is Mighty Taco, I never miss it when I go home. Make sure you visit a good Italian restaurant (if you like it) as these seem different at home than anywhere else (my choices are Chef's, Ilio's or Mulberry Italian Ristorante).

Have fun.

I went to mulberry when I was there a couple months ago. Highly recommend. Amazing vibe. Everything top notch, from food to service.

11 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

10 hours ago, Mango said:

It depends on where you look. Like the DEC, NYSED, and NYS Comptroller don't don't consider Rochester part of WNY. Which is sort of the point. Rochester is a bit homeless in terms of being firmly apart of a region. Here we are, debating where the hell Rochester belongs, and it is exactly why they are grasping so tight to the Garbage Plate. 

This is what New York considers for regions...

NY Regions.jpg

8 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

The first thing people actually associate Rochester with is Kodak which you might remember as being one of the most recognizable, iconic global brands of the 20th century.  Kodak was hand in hand with Coca-Cola on a world level.  Bausch & Lomb and Xerox were also synonymous with Rochester.  Now its Wegmans as those once proud companies have crumbled.  Syracuse is a "never ran" in this discussion.  Also, Syracuse is a shithole.  No one in Rochester is envious of Syracuse. 

Umm, hello? Do you like air conditioning?  Thank Willis Carrier and the Carrier corporation.  Also, salt potatoes.  And, uh, I'll think of other stuff later.  

Edited by Just Jack
  • Haha (+1) 1

Can anyone suggest a good hotel to stay at the weekend of a game? Do some tend to have more Bills fans out and about then others? 

It sounds like Bar Bill on Main Street in East Aurora should be a destination. Are their good hotels or motels in that area or is it better to stay down town or near the airport?

35 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Can anyone suggest a good hotel to stay at the weekend of a game? Do some tend to have more Bills fans out and about then others? 

It sounds like Bar Bill on Main Street in East Aurora should be a destination. Are their good hotels or motels in that area or is it better to stay down town or near the airport?

Buffalo and surrounding communities are very accessible wherever you're staying

Whether you're in hamburg, cheektowaga, orchard Park or downtown Buffalo you can reach any destination within 20-25 minutes

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Just Jack said:

NY Regions.jpg

Umm, hello? Do you like air conditioning?  Thank Willis Carrier and the Carrier corporation.  Also, salt potatoes.  And, uh, I'll think of other stuff later.  

I thought salt potatoes were a Syracuse thing? Poor Rochester. 

9 hours ago, Just Jack said:

NY Regions.jpg

Looks like a divide and conquer mindset here.  If there was ever a way to magnify NY City and Albany's control over a state it would be divide it into the littlest bits possible.

I mean how dumb is it to refer to the Rochester metro area, which gets within what 30 miles of the CANADIAN border, as the "Finger Lakes" and not Western NY? 

I like to keep things simple and split the State right down the middle (north to south) and if you do that Syracuse is on the Eastern border of Western NY and Rochester is the center of WNY.  If you split the State three ways - West, Central & East - Syracuse falls out of WNY but Rochester is clearly still in the middle of WNY.

As an aside, I've always thought the larger geographical definition of WNY should break away from NY State and form it's own state.  The money coming in off oil/Natural Gas exploitation alone would dwarf whatever funds from Albany you would lose.  Heck it's sort of happening in Oregon right now.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Just Jack said:

NY Regions.jpg

Carrier was actually started in Newark, NJ.  That makes a lot of sense because once you get out to Central New York you're entering the Jersey Jets/Giants country. One more reason why Syracuse sucks.  There is no question what NFL team is #1 in Rochester.

https://www.syracuse.com/axeman/2013/01/is_syracuse_a_buffalo_bills_or.html

https://www.syracuse.com/axeman/2015/10/is_syracuse_a_bills_or_a_giants_town_hint_its_neither.html

Edited by Jauronimo

22 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

There is the meat hot sauce on top which makes it. That is the defining flavor of a plate.  Its also a trademarked dish so while some joint may slap together mac and cheese, hashbrowns, and a hotdog and call it something like a trash or garbage pile, thats not a garbage plate.  Btw, I've never seen anything close to an abomination like that and I lived in Rochester for 30 years.

If you really want to go down this road and apply the same logic elsewhere we could discredit a lot of our favorite foods. 

- Buffalonians were hardly the first people or culture to deep fry a chicken wing.  Putting hot sauce and butter on it is some Michelin level technique right there.  What is the defining flavor? Oh right, a Louisiana style hot sauce.

- Beef on weck is a roast beef sandwich.  How many roast beef sandwiches existed before Buffalo slapped roast beef on an overly salty kaiser roll and called it their thing? 

- A chicago dog is a boiled hot dog but it has pickles and tomatoes on top. What a feat! 

- The Pittsburgh sandwich is just another sandwich except with effing french fries in it. 

- The LA staple the French dip. Somehow they figured out how to roast beef , perhaps stealing secret from buffalo?, and instead of slapping it on a salty roll they dip it in the braising liquid to make the bread wet and unstable.  Brilliant.

I'd rather just enjoy all these humble treats rather than focus on what they are not.

J-Man I agree on most especially going to Oswego and spending a lot of time in SU, I don’t consider that at all WNY.  It’s just Upstate.  Rottenchester though to me really is part of WNY.  There a lot more ties.  I actually liked that city as dating a bunch of girls going to Oswego, but lived there in Fairport and Chili.

I always looked at Rochester as more of the white collar Buffalo.  It just seemed cleaner for some reason.  Then again I worked at the BN driving trucks with all of those bundles fir my college job so I’ve driven through the nice areas, but a ton of time in the crappiest areas in Buffalo, and some suburbs.

Im just glad our veteran here has so many great ideas for garbage food (the stuff we love), nice places, architecture, things to do, and the best places to have fun overall.  As usual the Queen City guys (all of you) deliver.

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, Just Jack said:

It was invented in Buffalo.  He worked for Buffalo Forge and is buried in Forest Lawn.