First time in buffalo

Just now, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Gotcha. I've actually still never heard that for highways or whatnot until I started listening to Buffalo radio. 

Here, I-68 is 68, Route 40 is 40, Route 219 is 219, but in Buffalo it would probably be the I-68, the 40, and the 219

I kind of like it

You got it 👍

Buffalo will gladly adopt you

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

That's more for highway names and interstates and stuff

The I90, the 33 etc 

Nobody says the Broadway street or the southwestern boulevard

Just for the helluvit, I might start doing exactly that! “I’m heading down to THE Main Street to have a drink.”  Or “I’ll make a left on THE Maple Road and be there in 10 minutes.”

As I read thru this it makes me realize our amazing food options are somewhat limited for our vegetarian DIL. Advice welcome on that front from any in the know. Not sure if she can make the opener at this point, but all our best stuff IMO not geared toward her. 

Where can we get good food, AND vegetarian food?   :)

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

Just for the helluvit, I might start doing exactly that! “I’m heading down to THE Main Street to have a drink.”  Or “I’ll make a left on THE Maple Road and be there in 10 minutes.”

As I read thru this it makes me realize our amazing food options are somewhat limited for our vegetarian DIL. Advice welcome on that front from any in the know. Not sure if she can make the opener at this point, but all our best stuff IMO not geared toward her. 

Grindhaus Cafe on Allen at is a strictly vegetarian, vegan place ... Highly rated 

The Healthy Scratch on main Street is serving up healthy home-made options

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, USCGBILLSFAN said:

Gotta do the ice rink!  That will be fun!

Its iffy if it will be open for that weekend. Depends on the weather. Also down at Cananlside, they are starting to build a replica of the 1825 packet boat that Gov.  DeWitt Clinton  rode down the canal when he opened it then. Oh and if the COVID restrictions are lifted by then,  the bars will be open until 4 AM! Just don't go out the night before the game. Get up early game day and go to Hammer's Lot and see Pinto Ken.

Edited by Wacka

1 minute ago, Just Jack said:

Anyplace that sells wings will have celery for her. 

Thanks, probably carrots too! 

She’s not an actual rabbit, she just eats like one. 

On 5/14/2021 at 5:42 PM, USCGBILLSFAN said:

Hondo, gonna do all that we love history and arcitecture, do for sure will fo that.  Frank lloyd wright is at the top of our list!

Thank you for all the reccommendations

Sorry boys a bit drunk typos abound..lol

I forgot the mention the Frank Lloyd Wright Graycliff House in Darby, maybe 30 minutes from Buffalo.  I've personally never been but the photos are tremendous.  And it's open to the public.  I'll make sure to visit on my next trip to the area.  

I really wanted to stay at the Henry Hotel my next time in Buffalo but I heard it closed during the pandemic.  Sad news.  The Henry Hotel was located in the Richardson Olmstead Campus which is the new, pleasant name for the old Buffalo State Asylum for the Insane.  I remember driving by it when I was a student at UB before I transferred out of state.  It was my favorite building in Buffalo (that and the Central Terminal which I once snuck inside).  The Henry Hotel took over part of the place and won numerous accolades for "adaptive reuse" - the fancy expression architects use to describe the renovating and repurposing of historic buildings.   

On 5/15/2021 at 9:00 PM, Augie said:

Where can we get good food, AND vegetarian food?   :)

I grew up in Buffalo in the 50s. In those days vegetarian was a hot dog without chili.  I'd say go to Ted's.

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/15/2021 at 9:03 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Grindhaus Cafe on Allen at is a strictly vegetarian, vegan place ... Highly rated 

The Healthy Scratch on main Street is serving up healthy home-made options

That would be “the Allen “ or “the 17”  😁

Edited by Don Otreply

I'm bringing my wife and kids up for the home opener (well just me and the older son are going to the game.) They were in Buffalo about 3 years ago but not really old enough to remember it.  I'm excited to bring them to Ted's, Gabriel's Gate and Anderson's on Saturday.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/14/2021 at 11:23 PM, Just Jack said:

Someone mentioned the Canadian side of the falls, just make sure the border is open first, though they may reopen this summer.

Preliminary talks on lifting Canada-U.S. border restrictions underway | CBC News

If you like history, there is the Teddy Roosevelt Inaugural Site to check out.

Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural Site

I have seen several mentions of going to the Canadian side.  Do they still require a passport or an Enhanced Drivers License to go there?   Do they accept out-of-state drivers licenses?

On 5/14/2021 at 9:37 AM, USCGBILLSFAN said:

Hey guys just bought my tickets for the Bills/Pats* monday night game in Dec.  This will be my first trip to Buffalo, been a fan for 30 years and finally get to see our Bills at home. Im in the Coast Guard and have seen them everywhere i have been stationed, finally close enough to drive up and see them in Buffalo.  

That being said, can you guys give me reccomendations for things every bills fan should do while there.  Might sound cheezy but i want real buffalo wings, beef on a weck, a garbage plate so on and so forth, where should i go for all that.   Thanks guys look forward to the advice and cant wait to see them kill the Pats*!

Go to Bar Bill for the wings and weck. Only other place you should consider on your first trip to Buffalo would be The Anchor Bar as a pilgrimage, of sorts. Stay away, far away, from Duffs.

On 5/14/2021 at 9:51 AM, Chicharito said:

Depends on where in the city you will be . Everyone has their own favorites for wings. You could go to anchor bar but you pay for the name not the quality IMO. You could go to any bar and get beef on weck and wings. I would recommend mooneys and also try the Mac n cheese. I haven’t had a garbage plate in forever around here so I hoping I can get a great recommendation. 

I thought the garbage plate was a Rochester thang?

On 5/15/2021 at 8:57 PM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Gotcha. I've actually still never heard that for highways or whatnot until I started listening to Buffalo radio. 

Here, I-68 is 68, Route 40 is 40, Route 219 is 219, but in Buffalo it would probably be the I-68, the 40, and the 219

I kind of like it

You know you're from Buffalo, when...

you can correctly pronounce the Scajaqueda expressway.

you use the word 'the' in front of expressways, the 400, the 90, the 290, etc.

http://www-cs.canisius.edu/~salley/buffalo.html

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1