First time in buffalo

Great thread to read guys... I visited Buffallo in the early 90s when I was 12 or 13... too young to sample and appreciate all of the delights discussed here.

I'll be back in the not too distant future though all being well and will do as much as I can. I'm one of those really annoying people that can eat whatever they want, and however much they want, and never put a pound on... so I'm made for this! 😂

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

Chefs Italian is a must see or nah ? 

Personally, I think it's over rated but others swear by it. I'd say pass.

20 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

There's about 3 Ted's closer I believe that Tonawanda

Union road cheektowaga,  transit road williamsville ish, transit road Lancaster I believe

The Union Road Teds is temporary closed due to lack of employees.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

I’m also going for first time in 20 years, where are the must hit spots ? 

Couple w 12 yo 

Like I said earlier in the thread, I agree that the Bar Bill in East Aurora is a great place for wings and beef on weck. The old Winter classic rink is just a couple minutes down Main Street there, too, so depending on t he time of year maybe some skating there.

Canalside and the Outer Harbor are nice spots in/near the city to walk around. 

What do you like to do?

I second Schwabl’s* for beef on weck and a swing by Mighty Taco. 

I make sure to grab a royal sub from John and Mary’s whenever I’m visiting family in the area. I’ve found wings, cheap tacos and even an occasional beef on weck in other parts of the country. But Buffalo is the only place I’ve found a royal—maybe the best, most simple sandwich I’ve ever eaten.

edit—*I actually prefer Charlie the Butcher for just the beef on weck, but Schwabl’s is the place to sit and eat one, especially around the holidays. Be sure to top it off with a Tom and Jerry.

Edited by slipkid
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Like I said earlier in the thread, I agree that the Bar Bill in East Aurora is a great place for wings and beef on weck. The old Winter classic rink is just a couple minutes down Main Street there, too, so depending on t he time of year maybe some skating there.

Canalside and the Outer Harbor are nice spots in/near the city to walk around. 

What do you like to do?

Smoke weed and check out butts

And since he ia a Coastie, he should visit the Naval and Serviceman's Park down at Canalside. Canalside is the location of the end of the Erie Canal. Was the location of  the old hockey arena. After they razed it, they found the remains of the canal  under the arena. They have rebuilt a few hundred feet of it with the original rocks.  In winter, the fountains are an ice rink and they paint the Sabres logo on the ice at the exact spot  where center ice was in the Memorial Auditorium.

4 minutes ago, Wacka said:

And since he ia a Coastie, he should visit the Naval and Serviceman's Park down at Canalside. Canalside is the location of the end of the Erie Canal. Was the location of  the old hockey arena. After they razed it, they found the remains of the canal  under the arena. They have rebuilt a few hundred feet of it with the original rocks.  In winter, the fountains are an ice rink and they paint the Sabres logo on the ice at the exact spot  where center ice was in the Memorial Auditorium.

Gotta do the ice rink!  That will be fun!

On 5/14/2021 at 2:09 PM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Schwabl's actually served the worst beef on weck I've ever had. It was served cold and dry. This might get some hate here, but beef on weck is truly not much to write home about. But as long as you don't have high expectations, it can be really good. I've tried Schwabl's, Charlie the Butcher, Duff's, a place in the Falls I can't remember, and two places in Buffalo I can't remember, and Duff's is actually the best and most consistent (I've had it there five or so times).

Duff's Char-BQ wings are the best wings I've ever had. The best. Otherwise, the truth is that wings are pretty much the same everywhere. Yes, Buffalo wings started in Buffalo, but Buffalo no longer holds some kind of secret to good wings. Don't expect anything different than you'd get elsewhere in the country.

Ted's hot dogs are meh. You can do much better grilling at home. They don't have the charred flavor you'd expect from the advertising. And the "cheese fries" is a cup of frozen fries with generic yellow cheese sauce for dipping, like you'd get at a county fair or something.

Buffalo-style pizza is kind of in between New York and Chicago. It's a thicker crust but not like a buttery deep dish. It's a style you have to have a taste for. The pepperoni is GREAT though. I wish they'd do that style of pepperoni on a New York-style crust.

Mighty Taco is enjoyable.

A perfect example of how food opinions are highly subjective.

4 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Listening to a lot of Buffalo radio, I've noticed folks saying "the" prior to road names. That is entirely foreign here in Maryland. It seems to be almost universal in the Buffalo area though!

That's more for highway names and interstates and stuff

The I90, the 33 etc 

Nobody says the Broadway street or the southwestern boulevard

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

That's more for highway names and interstates and stuff

The I90, the 33 etc 

Nobody says the Broadway street or the southwestern boulevard

Gotcha. I've actually still never heard that for highways or whatnot until I started listening to Buffalo radio. 

Here, I-68 is 68, Route 40 is 40, Route 219 is 219, but in Buffalo it would probably be the I-68, the 40, and the 219

I kind of like it

• Like (+1) 1