First time in buffalo

2 hours ago, USCGBILLSFAN said:

This will be my first trip to Buffalo, been a fan for 30 years and finally get to see our Bills at home. Im in the Coast Guard...

I got to Buffalo once during my career, just an over nighter bringing out a new buoy tender. I was able to get a Bills coffee cup and ball cap at least :)

Welcome to the board and I am envious of your upcoming trip. I need to quit procrastinating and do the same.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, USCGBILLSFAN said:

Hey guys just bought my tickets for the Bills/Pats* monday night game in Dec.  This will be my first trip to Buffalo, been a fan for 30 years and finally get to see our Bills at home. Im in the Coast Guard and have seen them everywhere i have been stationed, finally close enough to drive up and see them in Buffalo.  

That being said, can you guys give me reccomendations for things every bills fan should do while there.  Might sound cheezy but i want real buffalo wings, beef on a weck, a garbage plate so on and so forth, where should i go for all that.   Thanks guys look forward to the advice and cant wait to see them kill the Pats*!

Good thread to read:

• Like (+1) 1

If in Southtowns, (good call Kostabi). Hoaks is a staple.  It’s across from my old HS, St. Francis (Chris Polian, Brian Daboll, Tom Telesco went there).  I couldn’t wait during lent my parents bringing back an extra fish fry Friday nights as we couldn’t eat meat if we didn’t get a Blasdell Za.  We did a lot of chores on Fridays during lent to get the Blasdell Za as a treat.

The guys are right, the Falls is awesome even in December if they let you by then go to Canada as the colors during Xmas season is great on the falls.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, USCGBILLSFAN said:

Wow!  So much to do so little time!  All great suggestions!  Absoluetly will do Hammers lot!  Fish fry sounds great!  Glad you guys are getting just as amped up for this as i am!  We truely have the best fans in the NFL, and you guys are proof

Get to Hammer's Lot EARLY! It fills up quickly.

I've only been to Buffalo a couple of times so I only know so much of what to do.

Definitely check out Niagara Falls, it's great. I second what @Inigo Montoya says by going to Wegman's. It's a great grocery store and perfect for stocking up on whatever you need.

Charlie The Butcher's is another nice place for Beef on Weck, but I have not been to Bar Bill, and I hear they are excellent

Dinosaur BBQ is another good place to try.

As far as wings goes, I agree that Duff's is a great place for just getting wings, but their pizza is nice too.

Paula's Donuts is nice if you want good donuts.

That's about all I've got. Have a great time, and thank you for your service. Once you've been to Buffalo for a game, you'll want to be back all the time. GO BILLS!!!

1 minute ago, White Linen said:

Seneca Texas Hots

The best hot dog sauce I've ever had. 

I’m going with Zorba’s in Depew.

My first stop when I fly in every time. Maybe 2 miles from the airport.               GOTTA get a Texas hot!!!! Whether Seneca, Louie’s or Zorba’s. No other city has them. They are NOT chili dogs either. Don’t let anyone tell you that.

Best Pizza is Lunettas. 

For wings....there's Bar-Bill and there's everything else imho...

1. Bar-Bill Tavern (also my fav for Beef on Weck)

2. Gabriel’s Gate

3: Duff’s

4: Nine-Eleven Tavern

5: Elmo’s

6: LaNova

7: Audubon North

8: Ebenezer Ale House

9: O'Neills

10: Amherst Pizza & Ale

11: Mammosers

12: Mooneys

13: Big Tree

14: Sonny Reds

15: Kellys Korner

16: Night Cappe

17: Strikers

18: Steel City Pub

19: Lenox Grill

20: Anchor Bar

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Schwabl's actually served the worst beef on weck I've ever had. It was served cold and dry. This might get some hate here, but beef on weck is truly not much to write home about. But as long as you don't have high expectations, it can be really good. I've tried Schwabl's, Charlie the Butcher, Duff's, a place in the Falls I can't remember, and two places in Buffalo I can't remember, and Duff's is actually the best and most consistent (I've had it there five or so times).

Duff's Char-BQ wings are the best wings I've ever had. The best. Otherwise, the truth is that wings are pretty much the same everywhere. Yes, Buffalo wings started in Buffalo, but Buffalo no longer holds some kind of secret to good wings. Don't expect anything different than you'd get elsewhere in the country.

Ted's hot dogs are meh. You can do much better grilling at home. They don't have the charred flavor you'd expect from the advertising. And the "cheese fries" is a cup of frozen fries with generic yellow cheese sauce for dipping, like you'd get at a county fair or something.

Buffalo-style pizza is kind of in between New York and Chicago. It's a thicker crust but not like a buttery deep dish. It's a style you have to have a taste for. The pepperoni is GREAT though. I wish they'd do that style of pepperoni on a New York-style crust.

Mighty Taco is enjoyable.

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 4

4 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Bar Bill can take care of you for both the Beef on Weck and the Wings.  I think its the best place to be able to knock out both of those.  They have combos for them and they are both excellent there.  

Could not agree more!  BarBill is outstanding for both wings and BOW.

4 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

It you get into Tonawanda I'd recommend a Sahlen's hot dog at Ted's (burgers are great too) and then some frozen custard at Andersons just down the street. It's a great inexpensive lunch.  Both are on Sheridan Dr.   Duffs for wings, Bocces for pizza.  

Wegmans is a grocery store chain in WNY and if you see one you should drop in.  I know, I know, a grocery store?  If you need to get any food or drinks for the room at night and you see a Wegmans, take a minute and drop in and check it out.  

Hope you have a great trip!

There's about 3 Ted's closer I believe that Tonawanda

Union road cheektowaga,  transit road williamsville ish, transit road Lancaster I believe

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

Enjoy the visit USCGBILLSFAN.  I haven't lived in the Buffalo area in over 30 years (grew up in OP) so I hesitate to offer foodie suggestions, however I saw Mammosers on a list for wings.  They were always one of my favorites.  Also, for the locals, does the Canadian ballet still exist in Ft. Erie?

This is the spread sheet I had mentioned earlier. Near the bottom you will see food, sites and other items with web links attached.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1F9yhWkCZkeTFX_6yagiiwCPu-JUnhBAxuPILxW8U438/edit

I'm going home in mid July for 10 days and will hit quite of few of these. Can't wait!

• Thank you (+1) 1

USCGBILLSFAN,you mentioned you are staying in Orchard Park?

I would suggests (for wings & beer), going to Duff's on Orchard Park Road - not far from the Stadium.

Great eye candy for the waitresses! (unless you are coming with the family of course!)

4 minutes ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

Enjoy the visit USCGBILLSFAN.  I haven't lived in the Buffalo area in over 30 years (grew up in OP) so I hesitate to offer foodie suggestions, however I saw Mammosers on a list for wings.  They were always one of my favorites.  Also, for the locals, does the Canadian ballet still exist in Ft. Erie?

Brings back memories of my dad and I facing off over a dozen "suicidal" wings without water, milk, bread, or anything else to dull the pain in order to prove who had the bigger set of... mental problems. I remember the brow sweat, chapped lips and burnt tongue like it was yesterday.

• Like (+1) 1

I grew up in the Buffalo suburbs but haven't lived there since I was maybe 20.  But I do visit from time to time.  So here are some thoughts from someone who is kind of a local and kind of an outsider:

Don't be afraid to drive.  Buffalo is a small city as American metro areas go and the traffic congestion is nothing like LA.  There's no burb of Buffalo that's out of reach no matter where you stay.

Wings.  This didn't use to be true but you can now get good wings in lots of cities.  So I would go to the Anchor Bar, despite it not being the best wing joint in Buffalo, just to see the birthplace of the wing.  I do agree that Duff's and some other places are better than the Anchor Bar.  But they're not necessarily better than the best wing spots in other metro areas.    

Pizza.  I read an article by a pizza connoisseur who raved about Buffalo pizza.  It is indeed very good and for a very good reason.  Buffalo has far, far more pizzerias per capita than Chicago or NYC.  In fact, depending what list you look at, either Buffalo or Orlando (?!?!) have the most pizzerias per capita in America.  And interestingly, most pizza places in Buffalo are mom-and-pop places - the national chains don't tend to fare very well because their product doesn't meet Buffalo's high standards.  The pie competition in Buffalo is fierce and brings out the best in the local pizza chefs.  

Beef on Weck.  Charlie the Butcher is my go-to spot.  NYC celebrity chef, Geoffrey Zakarian, loves the place.  So do I.  

Sponge Candy.  I visit Parkside Candy's Main Street location nearly every time I'm in Buffalo.  The chocolates and sponge candy are good and the store is housed in a dilapidated architectural treasure.  

Niagara Falls.  Visit both the American and Canadian sides.  On the American side, you can walk out onto Goat Island, Luna Island, and the Three Sisters and get up close to the rapids and falls.  On the Canadian side, you get a better panoramic view of the three falls that make up Niagara: Horseshow, American and Bridal Veil.  The Maid of the Mist boat ride is worth the price and will take you to the middle of the Horseshow Falls.  

Btw, I have to disagree about Mighty Taco.  Mighty Taco used to serve awesome tacos and burritos in filthy little holes in the wall.  Then they went all Taco Bell and starting building typical fast food style restaurants with cheaper, crappier versions of the delicious stuff they used to sell.  I'm so disappointed in what Mighty has become that I will never visit them again.   

Also worth knowing, there's a Bills souvenir store in front of the stadium.  Sometimes I find things there I don't see online and didn't know I needed until I saw them there.  

Enjoy your visit.  Hope the Bills give you a victory to celebrate!

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 8