Kelvin Benjamin Alert: Tryout with Giants [Edit: signed as TE]

Remember the preseason game against Carolina when Benjamin played his ass off?  That’s what really made me hate him.  He’d have been a good player for us if he’d have given that kind of effort, but he never did again.  F him. 

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I never hated KB.   And I supported the trade at the time because I felt that McBeane and Whaley had botched the WR situation so badly that offseason that they were absolutely desperate for help.   McWhaley not picking up the Watkins then-not-fully guaranteed option was dumb........drafting/acquiring the unexceptional Zay Jones and Jordan Matthews and trying to become bigger and slower at WR bordered on inexplicable........then Beane trading Watkins for a compromised return without the option year killed the teams offensive potential.   After 3 consecutive poor/medicore WR drafts for the NFL........the market for veteran WR was barren.

Unlike the majority on this site.....many of whom thought the Bills had a "tank year" roster............... I understood that the Bills were still taking a veteran laden 10-6 caliber team to camp in 2017.    I knew how much making the playoffs meant from day one that McDermott was hired.  No name hires can't afford to come out losing.  

In the McDermott regime they have an unfortunate history of making the wrong decision the first time..........but have also earned the reputation for learning from and correcting the mistake.    The growth mindset.   It's hard to build a "dominant" roster with 1 step back and then 1 step forward but it's worked well enough to have a good one that is capable of winning big with a franchise QB at the helm.

But early on, the reponses to mistakes weren't as consistently good.   KB didn't replace Watkins......Watkins played well enough in 2017 to earn a $16M/year deal so as much as people here trashed him for not putting up a massive statistical year in LA he had A LOT of value.       

Watkins admitted he didn't want to be here.

He admitted he got hammered all the time.

Watkins admitted he rubbed teammates the wrong way.

McBeane wanted to build a culture of a tight knit group of players and that wasn't Watkins...or Darby or Dareus.

It wasn't a mistake to trade Watkins.  He's been an average WR since the trade.  The Rams had a chance to keep him and they didn't.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Logic said:

I just want to point out that I don’t think Woods or Gilmore can fairly be classified as players that McDermott “let go”.

Both were free agents, and because of the Rex Ryan clown show, the Marrone ridiculousness, and the general dumpster fire atmosphere that preceded McDermott’s arrival, I don’t think any amount of money was going to get either guy to stay here. They both wanted out of Buffalo badly, and I don’t blame either one of them, and their departure had nothing to do with McDermott.

"All the money in the world" wasn't necessary.   What you conveniently forget was that they had the franchise tag at their disposal to use on Gilmore..........and chose not to.    That was a very arrogant and Billsy way to waste capital.       

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, FireChans said:

I saw the KB trade as a both a push for the playoffs (we were more competitive than we thought we would be in 2017) and at worst, a "cheap" potential #1/2 WR for our rookie QB the next season.

As such, it wasn't a terrible idea. Worked out horrifically, yes. But KB comes into Buffalo ready to work, he would have fit quite nicely on the JA timeline.

Agree........the problem wasn't trading for a WR the problem was that they ended up with less than a round of difference in value gained between the Watkins and Benjamin exchange..........and Watkins was poised for a big walk year.    People here point to his stats not being huge in LA but he got there just a few weeks before the season and frankly played outstanding against a killer list of #1 CB's that season.    He was a far more talented player than KB.    I value time and entertainment and the offenses of 2017 and 2018 were brutal.     

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

Was Benjamin a worse teammate?  I don’t claim to know how bad KB was, but sammy admitted how bad he was in Buffalo.  I’m sure you read Tyler Dunnes article in BR.  Getting staying up all night, every night completely ripped and half a**ing it through practice.  Not sure how one could be worse than that tbh.  rippedhttps://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2889029-what-sammy-watkins-believes.amp.html 

Also.....cutting bait with Sammy was receiving a 2nd rd pick and EJ Gaines. Cutting bait with Benjamin was cutting him.  Much more incentive to cut bait when you get a 2nd rd pick and a starting CB.  Darby, got a draft pick.  Dareus, got a draft pickZ. Gillislee, got a draft pick. they weren’t thrown away, insinuating that they got nothing for them in return.  They got picks all of them. 

I hated letting gilmore go, but he didn’t wanna be here. I hated letting Woods go.  We knew his Woods’ heart never left LA.  He was going home regardless. Had nothing to do with his attitude. He didn’t wanna be here, just like gilmore.  I don’t blame either of them for wanting to leave. 

I’m shocked that you didn’t use the word “luck” once.  After all, that’s what McB is.  Lucky. 

Cutting Kelvin Benjamin in preseason had a lot of value..........it would have been worth about $9M.    But it goes down with holding onto Trent Murphy and his unguaranteed $8M last summer as "the cap room that got away" from the 2017-2018 McBeane acquisition file.   The last shoe to drop on that is the $10M in cap room still committed to you know who.

Luck is passing on Patrick Mahomes in the draft and then getting a chance the very next season to select a Josh Allen.   Trading away the chance to select Mahomes to a conference rival.........and the repercussions......is less about luck and more about poor judgement.

As for the "he didn't want to be here" excuse.........that is the oldest and most tired bad excuse in the dumpster.........you guys are pretty naive if you think that there aren't A LOT of players who would strongly prefer to play elsewhere.   You should be embarrassed pulling that card and using the avatar you do.   That scenario never unfolds if he wasn't forced to join the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Cutting Kelvin Benjamin in preseason had a lot of value..........it would have been worth about $9M.    But it goes down with holding onto Trent Murphy and his unguaranteed $8M last summer as "the cap room that got away" from the 2017-2018 McBeane acquisition file.   The last shoe to drop on that is the $10M in cap room still committed to you know who.

Luck is passing on Patrick Mahomes in the draft and then getting a chance the very next season to select a Josh Allen.   Trading away the chance to select Mahomes to a conference rival.........and the repercussions......is less about luck and more about poor judgement.

As for the "he didn't want to be here" excuse.........that is the oldest and most tired bad excuse in the dumpster.........you guys are pretty naive if you think that there aren't A LOT of players who would strongly prefer to play elsewhere.   You should be embarrassed pulling that card and using the avatar you do.   That scenario never unfolds if he wasn't forced to join the Bills.

Sadly there was some. AB among others.

Man...

Choosing to constantly, repeatedly, obsessively harp on the handful of bad decisions made by the best front office/coaching staff the Bills have had in 25 years — one whose team has made the playoffs 3 out of 4 years and seem poised for a decade long run of success, and who have made far more good decisions than bad — sure is a strange way to spend one’s time.

McDermott and Whaley needed only three seasons to take a dumpster fire of toxic ineptitude that was the laughingstock of the NFL and turn it into one of the best cultures and winningest programs in the league. The Bills went from being the absolute LAST team many wanted to play for to being a team that players take discounts to keep playing for. The turnaround has been nothing short of astounding, and yet BADOL will hop into a thread quicker than you can say “broken record” to list off all the bad decisions McBeane have made. 

I’m not even trying to deny that any of the decisions BADOL frequently brings up were, in fact, bad decisions. I’m simply saying that NO ONE gets it right 100% of the time, every GM and coach makes mistakes, but that choosing to rehash and re-litigate those mistakes over and over and over when the Bills got THIS good THIS fast just seems mind boggling. 

To each their own, but holy cow, what a strange hill to die on.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Man...

Choosing to constantly, repeatedly, obsessively harp on the handful of bad decisions made by the best front office/coaching staff the Bills have had in 25 years — one whose team has made the playoffs 3 out of 4 years and seem poised for a decade long run of success, and who have made far more good decisions than bad — sure is a strange way to spend one’s time.

McDermott and Whaley needed only three seasons to take a dumpster fire of toxic ineptitude that was the laughingstock of the NFL and turn it into one of the best cultures and winningest programs in the league. The Bills went from being the absolute LAST team many wanted to play for to being a team that players take discounts to keep playing for. The turnaround has been nothing short of astounding, and yet BADOL will hop into a thread quicker than you can say “broken record” to list off all the bad decisions McBeane have made. 

I’m not even trying to deny that any of the decisions BADOL frequently brings up were, in fact, bad decisions. I’m simply saying that NO ONE gets it right 100% of the time, every GM and coach makes mistakes, but that choosing to rehash and re-litigate those mistakes over and over and over when the Bills hit THIS good THIS fast just seems mind boggling. 

Agree with you're post Logic.  Thankful they are here. And everyone helping the team out.

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Man...

I’m not even trying to deny that any of the decisions BADOL frequently brings up were, in fact, bad decisions. I’m simply saying that NO ONE gets it right 100% of the time, every GM and coach makes mistakes, but that choosing to rehash and re-litigate those mistakes over and over and over when the Bills got THIS good THIS fast just seems mind boggling. 

Baldo is the most argumentative person on this board.  He literally argued 25 was over the hill for a RB.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/16/2021 at 12:52 AM, Logic said:

I’ll never hate on Kelvin Benjamin. He made two crucial catches in the Colts snow game that led to the Bills winning. Had the Bills lost that game, they would not have broken the drought and made the playoffs that year.

Kelvin Benjamin directly contributed to a game outcome that allowed the Bills to make the playoffs.

I’ll never say a negative thing about him.

.....That said, it WAS pretty funny when Booger said he was one Popeye’s biscuit short of being a tight end. 

Couple big fallacies with that logic.  You don't know that...

- another receiver couldn't have made those catches.

- his lack of work ethic and professionalism didn't keep us from being even more competitive.

• Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Bob woods wanted to go home.  He was going to go home.  He wasn’t going to resign here.  He said it.  We couldn’t force him to sign.  

When an employee gets hammered every night for his first two years on the job while being hurt off and on during that time and half a**ing it in practice..... as an employer, would you seek to extend said employees contract?  No, you wouldn’t.  Where there’s smoke, there’s fire.  Most bosses would fire said employee.  We actually got something for him.

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Man...

Animated GIF
He sees the hills differently.  It has nothing to do with Beane or whaley or McD.  It has to do with him and his ego.....saying I told you so, whether or not he’s right or wrong.....he’s going to tell you “I told you so”.  

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Wasnt Benjamin the #1 WR in 2018?  And murphy started 9 games for buffalo and was coming off a 2019 playoff game where he played pretty well all things considered.  Cap space is nice but you have to replace the player too so you don't really see the full savings anyway.  Not to mention in 2020 Buffalo was a contender, you don't make as many decisions with the future in mind.